Author Topic: Stellastarr* roll call...  (Read 6604 times)

Fico

Stellastarr* roll call...
« on: September 12, 2005, 05:41:00 pm »
Anybody know who is opening up for them??

falconetti

Re: Stellastarr* roll call...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:06:00 pm »
According to their website, Giant Drag is opening.

www.giantdrag.com

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 08:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by falconetti:

www.giantdrag.com
Wow, how did you pick up on that factoid? Nice work.

And... Giant Drag is not bad. The clips are too short to make an impressive, but the Blunt Picket Fence song is pretty good. It starts out a little draggy, but the music gets more interesting. Hopefully they'll be the 3rd band on the bill and the 2nd bill will be someone like the Arctic Monkeys or Test Icicles.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this show very much.
oword

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 09:12:00 am »
Stellastarr* are immediately annoying for a number of reasons. First is the name. It's not Stellastar, or Stellastarr, it's Stellastarr*. There's a little asterisk at the end. And guess what, it kind of looks like a tiny star. A stellar star, you ask? No, a Stellastarr*! Either it's a clever play on words that utilizes a helpless symbol normally reserved for touch-tone phone menu operations, or it's a tribute to a Tennessee Williams character and humorous misspellings.

The second annoying thing is the voice of lead singer Shawn Christensen. It's not bad; there's just something a little bit off. It's as if the band needed to find a replacement for their real singer and grabbed the guy with the most enthusiasm, neglecting to check his vocal chops. One of my music instructors once claimed that my voice had personality because it had a complete lack of personality. Ditto Mr. Christensen.

The third thing that's annoying is the fact that you think you've heard Stellastarr* before. You may not have actually heard them, but you think that you have. They are one of the many bands exported from New York that sounds like a host of '80s bands. They're a clone band, and they don't try to hide that fact, which is commendable. So they sound like a clone of the Killers and Interpol and all the other throwback bands that were inspired by the Cure and New Order and a glut of other new wave bands. Xerox copies of Xerox copies can still get the job done if the copying is expert. Few people complain about Interpol sounding like other bands because they've carved a unique niche for themselves and injected enough originality into their music to demand attention. Stellastarr* sometimes achieve this, but more often, they do not.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 09:31:00 am »
Where did you lift that from, Rhett?

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
The normally rather generous popmatters.com

http://popmatters.com/music/reviews/s/stellastarr-harmonies.shtml

Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Where did you lift that from, Rhett?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  The third thing that's annoying is the fact that you think you've heard Stellastarr* before. You may not have actually heard them, but you think that you have. They are one of the many bands exported from New York that sounds like a host of '80s bands. They're a clone band, and they don't try to hide that fact, which is commendable. So they sound like a clone of the Killers and Interpol and all the other throwback bands that were inspired by the Cure and New Order and a glut of other new wave bands. Xerox copies of Xerox copies can still get the job done if the copying is expert. Few people complain about Interpol sounding like other bands because they've carved a unique niche for themselves and injected enough originality into their music to demand attention. Stellastarr* sometimes achieve this, but more often, they do not.
This is the most absurd part of this whole diatribe. Stellastarr* sounds more readily like the Pixies (at least vocally) then New Order. To say Interpol or - gasp! - the Killers have a more original take on this sound then Stellastarr* is ridiculous.

amnesiac

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 09:51:00 am »
  Stellastarr* are immediately annoying for a number of reasons. First is the name. It's not Stellastar, or Stellastarr, it's Stellastarr*. There's a little asterisk at the end. And guess what, it kind of looks like a tiny star. A stellar star, you ask? No, a Stellastarr*! Either it's a clever play on words that utilizes a helpless symbol normally reserved for touch-tone phone menu operations, or it's a tribute to a Tennessee Williams character and humorous misspellings.

It's actually supposed to be lower case "s" - so it's stellastarr*.

I'm not sure of the exact details, but they got their name from some girl, Stella Star (obviously), the singer went to high school with. Something about her lying to her boyfriend about being pregnant and him committing suicide. The singer saw it all over the papers and decided to name his band after her.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 09:51:00 am »
Meh....Stellastarr is kind of a guilty pleasure for me...haven't heard the new album though.

amnesiac

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 09:56:00 am »
Originally posted by Wayne, BadSushi Fellatio AFICIONADO:

This is the most absurd part of this whole diatribe. Stellastarr* sounds more readily like the Pixies (at least vocally) then New Order. To say Interpol or - gasp! - the Killers have a more original take on this sound then Stellastarr* is ridiculous. [/b]
Agreed. And how can stellastarr* be a clone of The Killers if stellastarr* formed in 2000 and The Killers in 2002??

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 09:58:00 am »
Originally posted by amnesiac:
  Agreed. And how can stellastarr* be a clone of The Killers if stellastarr* formed in 2000 and The Killers in 2002??
Exactly. I saw the killers play a 30 minute support slot (and not even direct support) of stellastarr* a few years back. Oh, the revisionist history.

Relaxer

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 09:59:00 am »

The second annoying thing is the voice of lead singer Shawn Christensen. It's not bad; there's just something a little bit off. It's as if the band needed to find a replacement for their real singer and grabbed the guy with the most enthusiasm, neglecting to check his vocal chops. One of my music instructors once claimed that my voice had personality because it had a complete lack of personality. Ditto Mr. Christensen.

That's such horseshit. What band doesn't sound like another band? And if Stellastarr is xeroxing another band, which band exactly? Seriously, which band sounds exactly like Stellastarr? I would love to know, because then I can go check them out too. And while on this topic, what band out there doesn't sound like any other band?

And sorry to say, but Stellastarr came before the Killers, so if anyone is copping between those two, it's the Killers. As for Interpol, it's fine *now* to say they've carved out a new sound, because they have now released two records and played a thousand shows. Who was saying after Turn On The Bright Lights that they'd carved out their own sound? Noone, it was all a lot of griping about how they were copping Joy Division. In the few songs I've heard from the new Stellastarr album, it sounds like they are progressing and forging their own sound.

Stellastarr has only released one record. They are still developing as a band, and I think eventually they're going to hit the big-time in a big-time way. When I listen to their debut, and think back to the Black Cat show, it reminds me a LOT of the first years of the Smashing Pumpkins. You can argue all you want on whether the Pumpkins were a good band or not, but there's no denying that they hit it big and had a shitload of fans who loved their records. I'm betting that Stellastarr eventually reaches the same level.

The singer's voice is distinctive, to be sure, and it will rub some people the wrong way. But more people are going to be grabbed by it, and it will be the intro to the rest of the music. The same gripe about the vocals can be said about the Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, Neil Young, the Cure, etc., I'd rather hear unique vocals than generic Killers yelping.

Stellastarr write good songs to which people will connect, as long as the band keeps at it. They've got an art-y vibe, so it will attract the snob types, plus they all look very pretty, which always helps. Based on the Black Cat show, they know how to put on a good show, and the songs are "epic" enough to give them a solid rep as a killer live band.

Okay, the asterik after the name is pretty dumb. But is it any more dumb than putting umlauts over the Husker and the Du?

But then, you didn't write the critique above so this might be just shouting into the wind.
oword

amnesiac

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

www.giantdrag.com

Hopefully they'll be the 3rd band on the bill and the 2nd bill will be someone like the Arctic Monkeys or Test Icicles.
  [/b]
Still haven't decided if I'm going to this or Gang of Four at Sonar. But if Arctic Monkeys are added to the bill, I'll definitely be at 9:30.

Relaxer

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
Originally posted by amnesiac:

Originally posted by Relaxer:

www.giantdrag.com

Hopefully they'll be the 3rd band on the bill and the 2nd bill will be someone like the Arctic Monkeys or Test Icicles.
  [/b]
Still haven't decided if I'm going to this or Gang of Four at Sonar. But if Arctic Monkeys are added to the bill, I'll definitely be at 9:30. [/b]
I completely pulled that out of my ass, by the way. It could just as easily be Inara George or Army of Me.
oword

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
Stellastarr has two albums out,actually.

When I heard them, I though they sounded like an inferior version of Rusted Root, who in turn sound like an inferior version of the Talking Heads.