Author Topic: London Reporting  (Read 1607 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
London Reporting
« on: September 13, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
Longer trip report in the offing having managed to get out of Detroit without being detained as a former citizen.  As I tell people, escapee since 1997...  Detroit is the place were you can drive-by "classy entertainment" establishments called The Bobby Trap, The Coliseum and Tycoons...

The reason for the madness? To see Pearl Jam in London, Ont from the fourth row left side, close enough to winged in the forehead by a flying pick.  Eddie started the show wearing a flannel shirt, Mike had spiky purple hair, Jeff worn all black, Matt worn a sleeveless t-shirt and Stone had on plaid pants.  

The show had minimal chatter and production, just chocked full great rockin songs. Fast Tunes, Slow Tunes, Big Hits, Fan Favs, and a killer cover of the DK's "Bleed For Me".

Sleater-Kinney was by far the best PJ opener I've seen. They sure do Rock ON...

Off to Hamilton
T.Rex

Re: London Reporting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:57:00 am »
Who's Hamilton?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 09:43:00 am »
Hamilton the city silly...

Second night of Pearl Jam proved to be the Best PJ show ever! or at least the most memorable.

Songs 3 to 5 on the setlist were

3. Spin The Black Circle (my fav PJ song)
 4. Animal
 5. Given to Fly

The rest of their opening 90 minute set was unrelenting, rocking hard straight through.

The encore feature the band wearing tux jackets and dedicating  Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" to Eddie's best friend who was getting married in Seattle.  RITFW was done with Sleater Kinney joining the band.  Who rocked harder the second night...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
Fashion update for the second night... Little changed except no flannel or plaid was worn.  Eddie wore a Sleater Kinney t-shirt that said "Show Me Your Riffs" and Mike had on a red SxDx shirt.

Will have to say the show in Hamilton provided one of those "Great Live Concert Moments" David Segal was writing about recently. Not only did the band do a heartfelt version of "Harvest Moon", Eddie got the audience to help send his congrats back to his friends getting married.  A moment not likely to be duplicated for those at the show.  In London while not on the scale of Hamilton, Eddie brought up stage a little girl to dance with him on during the encore.  Eddie had seen the girl dancing near the stage during the show and brought her for a moment in the spotlight.
T.Rex

i got id

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 11:31:00 am »
I went to Kitchener, London and Hamilton. I definitely think London was the better of the shows. Headed to AC or Philly to see them?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 11:39:00 am »
well i don't have a philly ticket, but the thought has occured to me i'd like to see them again this year.  

both shows were great and i'll give the hamilton show the edge, of course being in the second row a smidge to left of londons show didn't hurt either.

i will accept and begin considering all offers to become my pearl jam pal for future shows... member # 86xxx
T.Rex

Arlette

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

5. Given to Fly

One of my all-time fave PJ songs, very underrated.  Always wondered why this didn't become a classic of theirs.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
well it's certainly a great song to hear live... seeing that the bands radio star was fading it was a hard sell as a single.
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 12:15:00 pm »
  well it's certainly a great song to hear live... seeing that the bands radio star was fading it was a hard sell as a single.
That's a fantastic album. I love Single Video Theory.

boweswana

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 03:37:00 pm »
"Awesome....Alright Hamilton"

Clairvoyant show review by Jeff "Nostradamus" Spiccoli

i got id

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
  well i don't have a philly ticket, but the thought has occured to me i'd like to see them again this year.  

both shows were great and i'll give the hamilton show the edge, of course being in the second row a smidge to left of londons show didn't hurt either.

i will accept and begin considering all offers to become my pearl jam pal for future shows... member # 86xxx
did you try over at the message pit? i'm sure you can get some help over there

xcanuck

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
If only you had gotten to us a few weeks ago, Kosmo. My friend (who has a four digit fan club number) had an extra ticket. I think that gets you a seat on EdVed's lap.  :)

Mine is 74xxx and I've usually done quite well. I'm surprised that 86xxx only got you fourth row. Oh, well....we'll see what the Philly show will be like. I've been less gungho about PJ since I saw that awful show in Reading during the VfC tour. You know you're hurting when DCFC opens and has more energy than you do!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the shows and my homeland. Hope you got your fill of Tim Hortons!