Author Topic: iphone  (Read 377971 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: iphone
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2009, 02:54:04 pm »
Welcome to Windows Mobile 5.

Tell me (since I didn't make the event), can you take video yet to send with that MMS?

Right on cue!

Don't get me started on Windows Mobile.  Yes it does plenty when it's not crashing on you........

Honestly, I could care less about copy paste and mms....but I am really glad about finally having landscape keyboard...not sure how that got left out.

vansmack

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2009, 03:01:52 pm »
but I am really glad about finally having landscape keyboard...not sure how that got left out.

That actually wasn't included in WinMo 6.1, but xda-developers built an app (called gyrator) that allowed that feature to be available on Win Mo phones because the people asked for it (and there was no process where by it was blocked by the MS).  If only, huh?
27>34

chaz

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2009, 03:15:37 pm »
but I am really glad about finally having landscape keyboard...not sure how that got left out.

That actually wasn't included in WinMo 6.1, but xda-developers built an app (called gyrator) that allowed that feature to be available on Win Mo phones because the people asked for it (and there was no process where by it was blocked by the MS).  If only, huh?

If only what?  Say it!!!  I want the whole diatribe again!

vansmack

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2009, 03:28:21 pm »
Awww, did I piss on your iPhone 3.0 parade?

Hey, I will call a spade a spade and today's event was much a do about nothing.  Let's be honest here: Everything they're adding could have been done with a few simple program additions, but instead they're packaging it up and bringing it out as iPhone 3.0 when we all know it really ain't shit (and even charging the Touch owners!).  But hey, it's Apple and marketing is everything for them.  Some people just mistake marketing for innovation.

A real innovation would have been more RAM to run multiple apps efficiently  or add video capabilities, but instead you got iPhone 2.5 much the way WinMo got 6.5 (and I was not kind to MS there either).
27>34

chaz

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2009, 03:35:38 pm »
Awww, did I piss on your iPhone 3.0 parade?

No not at all.  Your loathe the devise much more than I enjoy it.  I just like seeing you get hot under the collar over it. 

It's easy for me to hate big greedy companies like Apple and MS...but then I remember...if it weren't for these evil bastards I'd be framing houses or moving furniture or something like that.

vansmack

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2009, 03:39:44 pm »
Believe me.  You have yet to see me hot under the collar.
27>34

chaz

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2009, 03:44:29 pm »
Believe me.  You have yet to see me hot under the collar.
Ok, worked up, agitated whatever you want to call it.  Don't get me wrong though, I agree with most of what you're saying. 

Let's just say I enjoy and admire your passion for technology/gadgetry...god knows I have it too.  I was up til 1:30 last night doing a complete tear down and rebuild of my home theater.  I hate wires this morning.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2009, 02:28:14 pm »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2009, 06:42:57 pm »
I'm a little surprised people are talking about tethering being added to the iPhone.  In my eyes that's the best new feature - I can't tell you how valuable that is, especially with a netbook.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2009, 11:27:14 am »
I love this photo:

It perfectly illustrates the amazing chutzpah of Apple -- they're showing off "Cut, copy, and paste" as if it's a brilliant, cutting edge idea that they just came up with, rather than a concept that's been around since (at least) the 1970s.   And the Apple fantypes actually buy into this kinda stuff.

_\|/_

chaz

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2009, 11:37:24 am »
I'm a little surprised people are talking about tethering being added to the iPhone.  In my eyes that's the best new feature - I can't tell you how valuable that is, especially with a netbook.
Maybe the one feature on teh iphone that i REALLY miss from the WinMo phones I've had...definately saved my ass a few times.  Will it be included in iphone 3.0?  I guess i didn't finish the article...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2009, 11:48:20 am »
I love this photo:

It perfectly illustrates the amazing chutzpah of Apple -- they're showing off "Cut, copy, and paste" as if it's a brilliant, cutting edge idea that they just came up with

actually, they're showing it off as a new feature being added to the iPhone.  i don't see any "WE INVENTED COPY AND PASTE" banners.  i haven't read anything about apple claiming to be ahead of the curve on this one.  maybe you have?

what was the alternative - add copy and paste (finally) but not say anything?  this long-sought-after feature, as basic as it is, should be left for people to discover on their own?  people asked for it, apple delivered, albeit late in the game.  they had to promote it, but promotion <> claim of invention.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2009, 11:57:26 am »
Will it be included in iphone 3.0? 

Yes, but it will require some agreement with your phone provider and Apple has said they will not step in and force the service provider to take any steps. As the iPhone is exclusive, I wouldn't look for much competition to add this to the existing plan at no charge.

Tethering is part of my Sprint Everything family plan, though I'm not sure if Verizon or T-Mobile include it without an additional charge.

In doing my research, I should point out that Apple 3.0 is USB tethering only (not bluetooth), but in my experience, the speed increase with USB tethering far out weighs the convenience of not using a cable. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:32:35 pm by vansmack »
27>34

chaz

« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2009, 12:27:16 pm »
Will it be included in iphone 3.0? 

Yes, but it will require some agreement with your phone provider and Apple has said they will not step in and force the service provider to take any steps. As the iPhone is exclusive, I wouldn't look for much competition to add this to the existing plan at no charge.

Tethering is part of my Sprint Everything family plan, though I'm not sure if Verizon or T-Mobile include it without an additional charge.
T-Mobile is the only carrier I ever used a windows mobile device, and I think it worked with any unlimited data plan.  Not sure though, as it was a work phone so I didn't pay the bill or come up with the plan.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2009, 03:24:46 pm »
Sweetcell, it all come down to how you look at it.

When a software company releases a bug patch, or adds an obvious feature that should have been there in the first place, are you overwhelmed with gratitude and admiration that they did something about it, or are you glad but still slightly annoyed that they sold you an incomplete piece of software in the first place?

If it's the former, you too may be a fanboi.

_\|/_