Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378075 times)

vansmack

Re: iphone
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2009, 11:24:26 am »
Yes every company is going to tell you that they have  coverage in your area because it says so on the map...

The best thing to do is ask your friends when they come over what carrier they have and if you can see how many bars they get.  You might even ask if you can make a call or two. Then pick the best carrier.

And no, the Pre does not have bad reception, at least not any better or any worse tohan any other Sprint phone in my two months of testing. If you already get bad Sprint reception, a phone is not likely to fix that.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2009, 11:31:32 am »
I just noticed this thread for the first time, and all I have to say is.  I make phone calls with my cell phone.  It works every time, unless I'm in the mountains of western Maryland.  And that's it.  I'm perfectly happy with that.  And only that.

You sound like my grandfather when we tried to get him a computer and he said "I already have a typewriter, what do I need a computer for?" Congratulations.

And just what did you expect to find in a thread titled "iphone" when you clicked it?
27>34

thirsty moore

« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2009, 12:09:44 pm »
Walkonby should have a "more bars" party. Sprint, Verizon, at&t, etc will be well represented. Julian Weblebrity can set up the particulars.

walkonby

« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2009, 01:29:46 pm »
Walkonby should have a "more bars" party. Sprint, Verizon, at&t, etc will be well represented. Julian Weblebrity can set up the particulars.

julian offers Poggenpohl dining rooms, waterford crystal, the finest vino and sparkly, Allmilmö kitchens, and hand woven rugs from pakistan.  i offer national forest hiking, kayaking, camping, grilling steaks/burgers/kabobs, beer that costs 12-36 dollars a six pack, bonfires, and scenes from blair witch (the noises of the forest where i live will scare the shit out you).  you choose.   ;)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2009, 01:39:53 pm »
Nonsense! The true bon vivant knows how to blend the two.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2009, 07:13:10 pm »
nothx

vansmack

« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2009, 12:31:10 pm »
WinMo 6.5 Touchscreen (aka titanium)

Here's a good video to show you what I'm talking about (and why I love WinMo 6.5).  The Microsoft guy even says they've mimicked the Zune interface.  Apparently they're calling it Windows Phone OS now...

http://intruders.tv/inqtv/2009/07/31/windows-phone-os-walkthrough/
27>34

Arthwys

« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2009, 04:19:11 pm »
I just noticed this thread for the first time, and all I have to say is.  I make phone calls with my cell phone.  It works every time, unless I'm in the mountains of western Maryland.  And that's it.  I'm perfectly happy with that.  And only that.

You sound like my grandfather when we tried to get him a computer and he said "I already have a typewriter, what do I need a computer for?" Congratulations.

And just what did you expect to find in a thread titled "iphone" when you clicked it?

In a way I admire your grandfather.  While I do enjoy the internet as a way to get to oodles of information quickly and easily, I feel like with cell phones being essentially tiny computers to use facebook and email and websurfing on, every is losing touch with how to live and function without those conveniences. 

I once stood at a pre-arranged meeting place in front of a 7-11 for an hour, waiting for a friend who agreed to meet me at that spot at a certain agreed upon time, so as to head into DC together to see a show at the club.  He came sauntering down the hill an hour late, and seemed surprised to see me!  I asked him what happened, and he informed me that he was under the impression I had stood him up, and wasn't coming.  His line of thinking was, "well, you never called to say you were there, or even in the area."  I had driven from over an hour away to meet him there, and didn't own a cell phone (this was 2004).  I nearly smacked him upside the head.  How was I supposed to call or be expected to call, when we agreed to meet at spot A at time X.  It's not like I carry his phone number around in my pocket and could wander up to the nearest payphone.  Everyone having cell phones and assuming they can change plans and can easily let the other party know that, has given rise to a culture of not going through with commitments. 
Emrys

vansmack

« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2009, 01:27:14 am »
Apple Takes the Dick out of Dictionary

That's a ridiculously new low....
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2009, 10:24:51 am »
the worst part of getting a new phone is adding all the swears to the auto complete
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2009, 10:51:23 pm »
finally: someone who agrees with smackie!

Alt Text: Apple?s Appalling Approach to iPhone App Approvals
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2009, 10:13:17 pm »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »
... aaaaand in order to avoid the FCC probe: iPhone on another network, you say?

Is AT&T losing its grip on the iPhone?

can't happen soon enough.
<sig>

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #238 on: September 02, 2009, 12:03:58 am »
... aaaaand in order to avoid the FCC probe: iPhone on another network, you say?

Is AT&T losing its grip on the iPhone?

can't happen soon enough.
Totally agree.  But to the dismay of many, when/if Verizon gets the iphone, all the other players in the smartphone game - RIM, Palm and Windows - are going to take a big hit.

I don't know how much longer RIM can dominate as far as the enterprise is concerned.  Companies that run Blackberry Enterprise Server have to shell out big $$ to run BES...usally runs on it's own server which is expensive, the BES software itself is expensive and each client access license is about $100.  Not to mention the fact that using BES adds two additional points of failure between the mail server and the handset - the BES server itself and the RIM infrastructure which has gone belly up a few times resulting in massive outages for BES users.

Devices that use active sync only have 2 points of failure - the mail server and the handset (and the network connection for both the server and phone if you wnat to get picky).  And there are no added costs...it works right out of the box with exchange without licensing costs etc. 

BES has the advantage in terms of managing the connected handsets remotely, but Exchange is slowly catching up in that dept.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:05:53 am by chaz »

Venerable Bede

« Reply #239 on: September 02, 2009, 01:58:38 pm »
finally: someone who agrees with smackie!

Alt Text: Apple?s Appalling Approach to iPhone App Approvals

I think you mean somebody who's not the FCC?

at&t and Verizon Face the Possibility of an FCC Probe

i thought that was expected. ..

btw, riverturn's take on having their app getting pulled is great.
OU812