Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378011 times)

vansmack

Re: iphone
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2009, 03:53:05 pm »
Totally agree.  But to the dismay of many, when/if Verizon gets the iphone, all the other players in the smartphone game - RIM, Palm and Windows - are going to take a big hit.

I don't know how much longer RIM can dominate as far as the enterprise is concerned.  Companies that run Blackberry Enterprise Server have to shell out big $$ to run BES...usally runs on it's own server which is expensive, the BES software itself is expensive and each client access license is about $100.  Not to mention the fact that using BES adds two additional points of failure between the mail server and the handset - the BES server itself and the RIM infrastructure which has gone belly up a few times resulting in massive outages for BES users.

Devices that use active sync only have 2 points of failure - the mail server and the handset (and the network connection for both the server and phone if you wnat to get picky).  And there are no added costs...it works right out of the box with exchange without licensing costs etc. 

BES has the advantage in terms of managing the connected handsets remotely, but Exchange is slowly catching up in that dept.

One of the reasons why I've been so quiet here for the past two weeks is because I'm managing my employers Exchange Server Migration (from IBM Domino Servers).  Yes I see the irony in using the staff attorney to handle the migration, but seriously, who would you want handling your migration?  That's right - this guy (with two thumbs pointed squarely at self).

Anyhow, so with the advances in ActiveSync, there is no longer a huge advantage with RIM, and if anything, the Enterprise Server has been more of a pain in the ass than anything else.  For most users (iPhone, WinMo, Palm) once you're on the Exchange Server you can set up your mobile device and everything can work seamlessly (including data push).  And as Chaz said, with the new requirements, I can remotely wipe phones and require users to use a PIN to access email.  This really has taken the advatage away from RIM and if anything, makes the extra step of adding the user to the BlackBerry Enterpise Server an additional burden after migration.  As Chaz pointed out, just another step where something can go wrong.

And that's without factoring in the added costs.  The license for the BES is $100 and some carriers (who will remain nameless) require an additional "Enterpirse Service Contract" which is an extra $30 a month.  Now that the rest of the technology has caught up, I can't, in good conscience, recommend a Blackberry to anyone with those extra costs.

And because this is an iPhone thread...2 years was a while to wait, but Apple did a great job with Exchange Server provisioning on the iPhone that other companies, ahem <cough>Palm</cough>, should take note of.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
Totally agree.  But to the dismay of many, when/if Verizon gets the iphone, all the other players in the smartphone game - RIM, Palm and Windows - are going to take a big hit.

I disagree.  We're just a couple of months away from people realizing that other than catching up to what other phones could already do, the iPhone interface and form factor hasn't changed in 3 years.  It's gotten rather stale.

Much like WinMo sleeping at the wheel, Apple better do something quick, or risk being passed up.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2009, 04:37:34 pm »

I disagree.  We're just a couple of months away from people realizing that other than catching up to what other phones could already do, the iPhone interface and form factor hasn't changed in 3 years.  It's gotten rather stale.

Much like WinMo sleeping at the wheel, Apple better do something quick, or risk being passed up.
I agree that Apple has been slow to innovate.  But stand by my statement that if Verizon get's the Iphone anytime soon it will gobble up market share like crazy.

It's probably at least a year away though.

Apple did do a great job with active sync on the iphone.  It's the best email interface i've seen on a handheld (besides the obvious pitfalls of a touchscreen phone).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:41:16 pm by chaz »

chaz

« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2009, 07:18:32 pm »
The HTC Touch Pro 2 is looking mighty nice....

vansmack

« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2009, 11:35:59 pm »
The HTC Touch Pro 2 is looking mighty nice....

Wait until you see the October 10 version with WinMo 6.5...

I'm passing on the HTC Diamond2/Touch Pro2 and waiting for the next HTC phone with the Tegra (Nvidia) or Snapdragon (Qualcomm) processor and WinMo 7 when it hits beta.  Maybe.  The 2 series are good looking phones though.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #245 on: September 10, 2009, 05:24:40 pm »
I am T-Pain iPhone App Is Auto-Tuning Genius

be sure to check out the first youtube vid where they demo the app.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2009, 01:08:09 pm »
My niece and her little friends would not stop playing with that this weekend.  Cute at first, annoying to no end after a while.

BTW - Palm added Google Voice to their App Store.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2009, 02:07:16 pm »
i was going to ask you how happy you were when fast willie showed up in the pre ad, but given how poor his game was yesterday it kind of killed the mood
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2009, 03:42:34 pm »
Wait wait wait a ho-chi minute....

Read this:

Noticing a "Policy Requirement" error when trying to use your Microsoft Exchange account after upgrading to OS 3.1? Then there's a good chance you're not using an iPhone 3GS, as Apple has just confirmed via a support page that the upgrade can now enforce the Exchange ActiveSync mailbox policy requiring encryption on the device, which just so happens to only be supported by the 3GS (guess that "S" stands for more than just speed). Not surprisingly, the only solution for non-3GS users is to contact their Exchange Server administrator and hope that they're willing to change the policy to no longer require device encryption.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/11/iphone-os-3-1-enforcing-exchange-device-encryption-only-support/#comments

That's a big deal, but not as big a deal as the fact that if those phones don't have Hardware Encryption now, it's safe to assume that they didn't have them before, then how did they sync with Exchange Servers that required Hardware Encryption?  Was Apple's iPhone 1-3 (before 3gs) flat-out lying to the Exchange Server before?  Really?  Are you kidding me?
27>34

chaz

« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2009, 04:37:18 pm »
Wait wait wait a ho-chi minute....

Read this:

Noticing a "Policy Requirement" error when trying to use your Microsoft Exchange account after upgrading to OS 3.1? Then there's a good chance you're not using an iPhone 3GS, as Apple has just confirmed via a support page that the upgrade can now enforce the Exchange ActiveSync mailbox policy requiring encryption on the device, which just so happens to only be supported by the 3GS (guess that "S" stands for more than just speed). Not surprisingly, the only solution for non-3GS users is to contact their Exchange Server administrator and hope that they're willing to change the policy to no longer require device encryption.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/11/iphone-os-3-1-enforcing-exchange-device-encryption-only-support/#comments

That's a big deal, but not as big a deal as the fact that if those phones don't have Hardware Encryption now, it's safe to assume that they didn't have them before, then how did they sync with Exchange Servers that required Hardware Encryption?  Was Apple's iPhone 1-3 (before 3gs) flat-out lying to the Exchange Server before?  Really?  Are you kidding me?
Yes, this is pretty whack but I doubt this will affect many users.  This will only come into play when the active sync policy on exchange requires a password to sync.  Only when this is turned on do you even have the option to require device encryption.  This is not to be confused with ssl communication between handsets and server when doing normal sync.  The phone and server are still talking via ssl....in fact the phone is talking to the active sync virtual directories in IIS...that is where ssl is enabled or disabled for activesync.

The require encryption on device setting i think is used so that when the device sends information about itself to the server it is encrypted.  This was not available on winmo phones until 6.0..so any old windows devices will be sol as well if this is enabled.  But in my far and wide travels with exchange 07 I've yet to find any organization that requires a password for ever single synchronization. 

Make no mistake, even with this turned off, data synched between handsets and server are ssl ecrypted, provided the activesync iis directories require it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:48:29 pm by chaz »

vansmack

« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2009, 09:06:51 pm »
I think you missed the point.  It's not that many users are going to lose their connection - that happens with upgrades.

It's the fact that they've been lying about it since they came out with "Exchange Support" last year!  They didn't actually meet the Security Requirements for the most stringent email servers. I smell a class action suit for anybody's server was hacked via a lost iPhone...
27>34

chaz

« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2009, 10:20:38 pm »
Newsflash - Windows mobile didn't even support device encryption until the release of 6.0 which was not that long ago. So I guess Winmo 6 and all previous versions only offered "Exchange Support" and not "real" Exchange Support.

I just don't think this is as big a deal as you.  It's not like mail is being delivered to the handsets unencrypted.  By default ALL of the IIS virtual directories used by ActiveSync, OWA etc are configured with SSL turned on.  All the communication sent to the server is through these ssl tunnels.  The thing we are talking about here is client side encryption of information about the device which is being sent through......an encrypted tunnel.

Since EX07 came out I've deployed it about a dozen times and done consulting work for another dozen orgs that had a pre-existing EX07 environment.  I've never seen this used.  Can you imagine if the people where you work had to put their password in everytime active sync ran on the device?  Even if you tell exchange to remember the password for a period of time (i'm pretty sure it defaults at 15 min if it's turned on)...I can only imagine the trouble it would cause an exchange admin, everybody bitching about having to put in a password on their phone 5 times a day, once a day or even once a week.  Users are some whiney lazy bitches.

Anyway that's all I got to say about that.  If I was near the end of my contract I'd seriously consider jumping to verizon for the new touch pro 2.  By the time my contract is up they'll be something even better.  And it's not because i don't like my iphone, i just get bored with stuff and like checking out new gadgets.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:22:21 pm by chaz »

vansmack

« Reply #252 on: September 12, 2009, 02:45:52 pm »
Newsflash - Windows mobile didn't even support device encryption until the release of 6.0 which was not that long ago. So I guess Winmo 6 and all previous versions only offered "Exchange Support" and not "real" Exchange Support.

This is not news to me, and older windows devices could not use the exchange server if the encryption settings were turned on.  They certainly didn't lie about it the way the iPhone has been for the past year.  This is a huge liability.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:49:36 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #253 on: September 12, 2009, 02:49:10 pm »
Anyway that's all I got to say about that.  If I was near the end of my contract I'd seriously consider jumping to verizon for the new touch pro 2.  By the time my contract is up they'll be something even better.  And it's not because i don't like my iphone, i just get bored with stuff and like checking out new gadgets.

The TouchPro2 is much cheaper on Verizon ($199 vs. $349 for the phone), however my unlimited everything plan would cost about $70 more a month so it doesn't make much sense.  at&t will have the TP2 by the end of the year.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2009, 01:18:48 pm »
I'm passing on the HTC Diamond2/Touch Pro2 and waiting for the next HTC phone with the Tegra (Nvidia) or Snapdragon (Qualcomm) processor and WinMo 7 when it hits beta.  Maybe.  The 2 series are good looking phones though.

This is the phone I was talking about.  The HTC Leo pictured next to the Touch Pro 2...yummy.

4.3-inch WVGA (480 x 800) capacitive touchscreen display
Windows Mobile 6.5
Qualcomm 1GHz MSM 8250 Snapdragon processor
Wi-Fi
GPS, A-GPS
Accelerometer
Light & proximity sensors
3.5mm headset jack
Digital Compass
8 megapixel auto-focus camera with dual LED flash
512MB flash memory, 320MB RAM

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/14/htc-leo-spotted-in-the-wild-sports-gargantuan-800-x-480-display/
27>34