Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378060 times)

vansmack

Re: iphone
« Reply #540 on: April 29, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »
Adobe's Initial Response

He was a lot nicer than I was....

(1) "I find it amusing, honestly. Flash is an open specification,"   "for every one of these accusations made there is proprietary lock-in" that prevents Adobe from innovating. [Presumably from the OS]

(2,5,6)  "really a smokescreen" / "When you resort to licensing language" to restrict this sort of development, he says, it has "nothing to do with technology."

(3)  Crashes hvae something "to do with the Apple operating system."

(4) Patently False.

(5,6)  "It doesn't benefit Apple, and that's why you see this reaction,"

"We have different views of the world," Mr. Narayen says. "Our view of the world is multi-platform."  To conclude, Mr. Narayen says he's for "letting customers decide," but that the multi-platform world will "eventually prevail."
27>34

Got Haggis?

« Reply #541 on: April 29, 2010, 06:39:51 pm »
Flah is a closed platform controlled by one company.  Jobs is right.

vansmack

« Reply #542 on: April 30, 2010, 01:09:44 am »
Flah is a closed platform controlled by one company.  Jobs is right.

For argument's sake, I'll agree with you. 

But Flash still needs to be installed as an add-on by the user so where's the harm in making it available for those that disagree with you and Steve? 

So what you're really saying is it's OK to be a closed company as long as that company is Apple and not Adobe.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #543 on: April 30, 2010, 07:00:11 am »
Iphone/Ipad is a closed platform controlled by one company. 

true dat, my man.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:01:46 am by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #544 on: April 30, 2010, 07:00:40 am »
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #545 on: April 30, 2010, 11:26:50 am »
Proof it requires three hands to use an iPad

http://twitpic.com/1jnz6j
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #546 on: April 30, 2010, 12:48:22 pm »
HP just bought Palm for $1.2 billion.

WebOS will live on.  The jury is out on hardware....

Rumor mill: HP Slate Dead as we first saw it.  To be replaced by WebOS tablet?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #547 on: April 30, 2010, 02:22:31 pm »
A Short History of Apple's Agreesive Legal Tactics

This is a little bit unfair.  Apple vs. HTC, vs. Pystar, and vs. iMac knockoffs is simple patent/copyright protection that everybody should expect as a direct result of vs. Franklin  (although HTC is really a shot at Google, but Apple is too afraid to take on Google).

Vs. the Bloggers, vs. MS and HP, and vs. Intel/MS/SFCC are good examples of times when Apple was led astray through the court system. 
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #548 on: May 03, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »
Anyway, a rather obvious point but I'll make it anyway --  if my car got stolen and you bought it knowingly and bragged about it on your blog, I'd want the cops to kick your door in -- but they wouldn't.   
Yes, actually, they would. What world do you live in? Thanks for making my point.

I'm no apple fanboy. I openly mock anyone who'd buy an ipad and have a record of agreeing with around 95% of all apple related complaints on here. But following legal means to recover your stolen property when someone knowingly flaunts the crime they knowingly committed in purchasing it is not some evil insidious act. The fact that apple is one of several members on a taskforce who gave an advisement is completely irrelevant.

vansmack

« Reply #549 on: May 03, 2010, 06:08:06 pm »
Yes, actually, they would. What world do you live in? Thanks for making my point.

You watch too much "Cops."  Or maybe that's how they do things in Richmond, but most cops are not likely to "kick a door in" for theft of property.  This was much less about getting the phone back and much more about finding out the identity of the original finder of the phone.  Warrants have to indicate the degree of agressiveness that can be used, and it usually deals with the destruction of the property and any danger to its possessors that indicate how much force can be used.  And they're most certainly not going to seize your computer and camera because you took photos of a stolen car. 

There's no indication force was used - I'm sure it was a regular warranted search and seizure and not much else.  I don't know the details, but I wouldn't doubt that Chen opened the door and let them in.  Totally normal in the eyes of the law. 

Involving REACT is abusrd though and that's what raises the questions here.  REACT deals with big time counterfitting rings, massive cyber theft and that kind of stuff.  This was a bit of a stretch to involve them, especially as the lead agency in the arrest.  Clearly Apple pulled strings here - the local cops would have been fine.

You were right the first time when you raised the interesting legal questions about the shield law protecting bloggers, do you waive the shield law when you pay for information and how much is the court to take into consideration a journalists intent to make money versus deliver a story.  The really interesting part here is that the original finder of the phone has been outed as a direct result of this seizure BEFORE we even get to decide all those fun questions.

We may never get another Deep Throat again.

EDITED NOW THAT THE FACTS HAVE COME OUT
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:48:47 pm by vansmack »
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #550 on: May 03, 2010, 06:15:21 pm »
that's the saddest post I've ever read on this board...

quote author=vansmack link=topic=4395.msg303476#msg303476 date=1272924486]
We may never get another Deep Throat again.
[/quote]

vansmack

« Reply #551 on: May 03, 2010, 06:35:11 pm »

That was also the longest lead in I've ever written just to make a joke.
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #552 on: May 03, 2010, 07:21:47 pm »

That was also the longest lead in I've ever written just to make a joke.

All that foreplay and no Deep Throat.

Sorry about that Smackie.   :-X

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #553 on: May 03, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »
Does anyone know when the new iphone is coming out? My plan is to wait until the new one comes out and the 3Gs comes down in price (I only had the regular 3g before). My 3g got stolen and in the meantime I have to use my sister's old pink razr phone.   >:(

vansmack

« Reply #554 on: May 03, 2010, 10:44:06 pm »
Does anyone know when the new iphone is coming out? My plan is to wait until the new one comes out and the 3Gs comes down in price (I only had the regular 3g before). My 3g got stolen and in the meantime I have to use my sister's old pink razr phone.   >:(

Apple has an event scheduled in June in SF.  I can't guarantee you that its an iPhone event, but with 4.0 coming out in the "summer" and the event planned I'd say it's a pretty good bet that you'll at least hear more detailed info then.
27>34