Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378089 times)

vansmack

Re: iphone
« Reply #600 on: June 20, 2010, 05:01:57 pm »
If you like the HD2 and you are moving to Sprint you will LOVE the EVO. Otherwise wait until late October and see what WinMo7 has to offer.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #601 on: June 25, 2010, 05:31:22 am »
I'm sure most of you have figured out by my uncanny balance of creativity and brilliance, that Smackie is in fact left handed. I guess this means no iPhone 4 for me as Jobs is singlehandley out to destroy the rabid fanboiness of the lefthanded world. If you're not like him, there is no room for you in his world.

http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

And, after two weeks with this iPhone 3g in Europe, it has become very clear to me that most iPhone users have not used any other smartphone in the last 3 years, because there is so much this phone cannot do that other phones can.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:34:22 am by vansmack »
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #602 on: June 25, 2010, 08:35:11 am »
like making calls in europe?
o/\o

slappy

« Reply #603 on: June 25, 2010, 02:52:25 pm »
I'm sure most of you have figured out by my uncanny balance of creativity and brilliance, that Smackie is in fact left handed. I guess this means no iPhone 4 for me as Jobs is singlehandley out to destroy the rabid fanboiness of the lefthanded world. If you're not like him, there is no room for you in his world.

Apparently you're neither creative nor brilliant enough to just hold the phone in your other hand.

And for some balance the same web site you're linking to is having better reception with the iPhone 4 than the 3g.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/the-jimmy-fallon-test-is-the-iphone-4-dropping-less-calls/

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #604 on: June 25, 2010, 03:26:12 pm »
Maybe it's because I don't use the iPhone that I'm totally missing something about this but how are these phones right handed? Or maybe it's because I'm somewhat ambidextrous that it all seems so strange to me. Really, I don't get it. Why is this a problem?

However, I am fully with you regarding Steve Jobs' unipolar world.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #605 on: June 25, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »

Apparently you're neither creative nor brilliant enough to just hold the phone in your other hand.

And for some balance the same web site you're linking to is having better reception with the iPhone 4 than the 3g.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/the-jimmy-fallon-test-is-the-iphone-4-dropping-less-calls/

I'd hardly call Jimmy Fallon's experience a scientific example.  That being said, I got a new iphone yesterday morning and have not dropped any calls.  As has been reported, when i put my finger on the seam in the metal band the bars do drop down, but it actually doesn't seem to matter, doesn't interrupt data/voice for me.  Other people's experience may vary.

So far I'm happy enough with it.  There's a Radio Shack in kind of slummy little strip mall near my house and I figured it's not a very "iphone" type of area.  I called them and they said all their phones would be first come-first serve, so I decided to stop by yesterday on my way to work.  Got there 10 min before they opened and there were 2 guys waiting out front.  The store had exactly 3 phones, one of which I snagged.  Radio Shack has deal where they will buy your old iphone from you...$99 for a 3G and $199 for a 3GS.  I was trading in my 2 year old 3G but the guy mistakenly gave me a credit for a 3GS...so my new phone didn't cost a penny.  Win-win.

vansmack

« Reply #606 on: June 26, 2010, 11:45:15 am »
The Caps are out, slappy, you may go now. Oh wait, hfstival...

Anyhow,  it doesn't take somebody brilliant to understand that in 2010 you can't make a ubiquitous device if you make a certain percentage hold it in their unnatural hand. It's an absurd notion that only someone as simple as you would defend.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #607 on: June 26, 2010, 11:57:48 am »
like making calls in europe?

It's really absurd.  Could you imagine if everytime you went to a different state you paid roaming charges for calls and data on the same company?  America fixed that over a decade ago.

The data plans have gotten a lot better on the payasyougo plans though.  In every country I was in but portugal, I had unlimited data for as little as $20 on a top-up.  If only I had full google voice I would have no need for calling plan, really. 

unlocking the iPhone for international sims  was not the easiest wirh at&ts new radio software either.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #608 on: June 26, 2010, 12:01:08 pm »

Typical Apple fan attitude to not only find fault with anyone who doesn't adapt to Apple ways, but insults them...

_\|/_

slappy

« Reply #609 on: June 28, 2010, 12:02:33 pm »
The Caps are out, slappy, you may go now. Oh wait, hfstival...

Anyhow,  it doesn't take somebody brilliant to understand that in 2010 you can't make a ubiquitous device if you make a certain percentage hold it in their unnatural hand. It's an absurd notion that only someone as simple as you would defend.

Really? That's your response?
Well, you're a poopy head!

1. You haven't even held the phone to know if it will happen when you use it. It's not like you can't hold it with your left hand. The same problem has been identified in many phones from the Android to the 3GS. I'm left handed and used one this weekend and couldn't replicate the problem. Even Consumer Reports is having problems replicating it. http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/06/apple-admits-iphone-4-antenna-problem.html

2. The 'signal bars' on a phone don't really reflect the actual reception. http://www.switched.com/2008/01/15/what-do-cell-phone-signal-bars-really-really-mean/ Any reports of the bars going down from switching hands don't really mean much.

3. Ubiquitous or not, no device is perfect. I prefer to shift through the hype of both sides before making a decision. I don't buy the first of any device. I wait until the kinks are out.

Slappy may be simple, but Slap's not a poopy head like you. And I heard you're going to see Lilith Fair.

chaz

« Reply #610 on: June 28, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »
Update:

Clearly this is a well documented problem, and wtf Apple, you think your trillion dollar pr dept could have come up with a better public response to this.

That said I haven't been able to recreate the problem since the day I got the phone.  And even then, if didn't mess with actual performance, just the bars went down a few notches.

So far very happy with the upgrade, particularly the camera.  Only 5 mp, but anyone that knows diddly about photos can tell you that's more than enough res for snapshots and 5x7 printouts.  The inage quality is darn good and w/out flash it'll snap them off just as fast as I can take them.

Processor is very very snappy as well, and battery life much improved.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #611 on: June 28, 2010, 05:05:18 pm »
I'm very happy with mine. Coming from a 3G so it feels like going from an Apple IIe to a Cray.

chaz

vansmack

« Reply #613 on: June 29, 2010, 05:22:24 pm »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #614 on: July 02, 2010, 02:22:10 pm »
We're not bad at engineering, we're just bad at math:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html

Software fix coming.  Not to fix the dropped calls, just to fix the idea in your head and on your screen that you shouldn't expect to be able to make or hold a call.

Thanks.  I think.
27>34