Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378042 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: iphone
« Reply #645 on: January 09, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »
I don't use any unusual apps, and I'm guessing the maybe 5-10 apps I have from the App Store on the Iphone are all available.    The most important is Nextbus, also a bike ride mapping app, Last.fm, Yelp, and Shazam.

Another Droid question -- is there a way to easily rent movies, as one can do on the Iphone thru Itunes?

the only remaining question would be how long before that next generation of phones you mentioned is available, and how much of a difference will it really make.   There's always something newer and better around the corner, but meanwhile I'm stuck with an increasingly slow and sucky Iphone.
_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #646 on: January 09, 2011, 05:30:30 pm »
i used one of those ghost radar apps today in a house that was notorious for having slaves during the civil war . . . words such as "kept" "free" "trade" "mean" appeared.  i thought that was cool.

vansmack

« Reply #647 on: January 09, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »
The most important is Nextbus, also a bike ride mapping app, Last.fm, Yelp, and Shazam.

Yes: Nextbus, yelp, Shazam

I'll check on last.fm tomorrow, but I'm 99.9% positive that at&t didn't block it (I have it on my Galaxy S).  The bike map app I'd need more info, but I'm sure there are equivalents.

Another Droid question -- is there a way to easily rent movies, as one can do on the Iphone thru Itunes?

My phone has an app called the Samsung Media Hub that allows you to rent movies, but you can only watch them on your phone.  That would be the type of thing at&t would block though, so I'll check tomorrow.

mspot will let you rent directly to your phone, and I'm pretty sure youtube will too (they have a movie rental section). Blockbuster, Netflix, RedBox and Amazon are all planning similar apps.

The phone is DLNA compliant as well, so you can share those movies with most other DLNA compliant devices.

the only remaining question would be how long before that next generation of phones you mentioned is available, and how much of a difference will it really make.   There's always something newer and better around the corner, but meanwhile I'm stuck with an increasingly slow and sucky Iphone.

I don't think the dual-core processors will make much of a difference over this phone.  It already has a separate processor and graphics chip.  I've watched many a 1080p movie on it and it's easily the most impressive feature of the phone that gets a lot of "wow"s.

The 4g network capability however, would make a HUGE difference, especially if you plan to have the phone for 2-3 years.  By the end of the year, every carrier will have a 4G network that will greatly increase download speeds.  If you buy the phone now, you may be missing out on new network capabilities for quite some time.

For example, I download movies and TV shows directly to my Galaxy S over Sprint's 4G network in a matter of minutes.  And that was just a test as I don't watch much on phone - it sounds like you might watch a lot more on your phone then I do. 
27>34

• my blog
« Reply #648 on: January 09, 2011, 06:53:18 pm »
Actually the only time I watch movies on my phone is on a plane, but it's one of the reasons I got an Iphone in the first place.  Streaming a movie isn't important to me, just the ability to rent them and load them on the phone.

any idea when those 4G phones will be available on AT&T?
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #649 on: January 10, 2011, 02:00:11 pm »
Last.fm is available on at&t.
Media Hub is also available to download movies for watching on planes.
mSpot Movies is also available to download movies.
mSpot Music is branded as at&t music for another streaming source of music.

I don't have a release date for LTE/HSPA+ phones yet, but I put a call in.  I'll let you know.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #650 on: January 10, 2011, 06:10:54 pm »
The HTC Inspire 4G and the Motorola Atrix 4G are both expected to hit shelves in the first half of 2011 and take advantage of at&t's upgraded HSPA+ network. They would not be any more specific than "first half" - sorry.

They did not have any information in the Samsung Infuse 4G.

They do not expect any LTE phones until the later half of 2011.
27>34

• my blog
« Reply #651 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57:15 pm »
The HTC Inspire 4G and the Motorola Atrix 4G are both expected to hit shelves in the first half of 2011 and take advantage of at&t's upgraded HSPA+ network. They would not be any more specific than "first half" - sorry.

They did not have any information in the Samsung Infuse 4G.

They do not expect any LTE phones until the later half of 2011.

I can't wait that long, and bleeding edge technology is always super expensive at first too.  The stuff that's out there looks cool enough for me for now.  I think I am ready to jump in.   Thanks for your advice!

I guess my only last question is, you seem to be OK with AT&T.   Given all the crap one hears about them I am wondering whether it's not a good time to switch carriers, too.   Or is it just not worth the bother.
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #652 on: January 10, 2011, 11:13:05 pm »
I'm beating a dead horse, but my iPhone works great now that there is a Verizon MiFi hotspot in my office that I can use.  At home Kosmette often gets texts several hours after there were sent, not to mention twice there have been tower outages, that only the local att store acknowledged existing.   Verizon iPhone here I come.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #653 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »
I guess my only last question is, you seem to be OK with AT&T.   Given all the crap one hears about them I am wondering whether it's not a good time to switch carriers, too.   Or is it just not worth the bother.

Um, no - I hate at&t, and I did long before the iPhone exclusive deal.  But that doesn't mean everybody else should.

Here's the advice I give to everybody who asks:  go with the service provider that gives you the best coverage in the two places you use the phone most often: usually that's home and work. 

Every carrier has dead spots. How many times do you hear people say "Oh I hate [insert cell phone carrier].  Their coverage is the worst - I couldn't reception at my apt/when my parents came to visit they couldn't/it would drop a call every time I drove home at the same spot/etc."   The truth is they all have fairly good coverage considering how big the US is, but the only thing that should matter is do they have coverage where you use the phone most.  If you get solid coverage at home and work, then 99% of your cell usage will be great.  And that's the carrier for you.

If all things are equal, go with the cheapest one, but I doubt that will be the case.

And just for the record, I have been with Sprint for almost 15 years.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #654 on: January 11, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »
And the fact that the Verizon iPhone is not LTE means everybody should stay away.  Why lock yourself in for 18 months on a 3G phone when Verizon is already rolling out it's 4G network.  Unbelievable.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #655 on: January 11, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »
i dont plan on switching, but the fact that verizon is allowing the iphone to be a hotspot on their network is a big selling point
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #656 on: January 11, 2011, 02:20:35 pm »
i dont plan on switching, but the fact that verizon is allowing the iphone to be a hotspot on their network is a big selling point

It will probably force at&t's hand, finally.  Amazing what a little competition can do....

But still: great, a 3G hotspot when the 4G network is ten times faster. 
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #657 on: January 11, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »
right, i dont even want a new phone. all i want is to use my current phone as a wireless hotspot a few times per year
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #658 on: January 11, 2011, 02:37:06 pm »
right, i dont even want a new phone. all i want is to use my current phone as a wireless hotspot a few times per year

If they were pay-as-you-go sure, but most Hot Spots I've seen are billed monthly.
27>34

• my blog
« Reply #659 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10:25 am »
I guess my only last question is, you seem to be OK with AT&T.   Given all the crap one hears about them I am wondering whether it's not a good time to switch carriers, too.   Or is it just not worth the bother.

Um, no - I hate at&t, and I did long before the iPhone exclusive deal.  But that doesn't mean everybody else should.

Here's the advice I give to everybody who asks:  go with the service provider that gives you the best coverage in the two places you use the phone most often: usually that's home and work. 

Every carrier has dead spots. How many times do you hear people say "Oh I hate [insert cell phone carrier].  Their coverage is the worst - I couldn't reception at my apt/when my parents came to visit they couldn't/it would drop a call every time I drove home at the same spot/etc."   The truth is they all have fairly good coverage considering how big the US is, but the only thing that should matter is do they have coverage where you use the phone most.  If you get solid coverage at home and work, then 99% of your cell usage will be great.  And that's the carrier for you.

If all things are equal, go with the cheapest one, but I doubt that will be the case.

And just for the record, I have been with Sprint for almost 15 years.

Well cool.   Thank you for your thorough and nuanced advice.

_\|/_