Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378016 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: iphone
« Reply #660 on: January 12, 2011, 12:34:00 am »
Should I Buy a Verizon iPhone?
Five reasons why you might want to hold off.
http://www.slate.com/id/2280819/pagenum/all/
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #661 on: January 13, 2011, 04:44:19 pm »
Motorola Atrix 4G

Rumored to be a March 1 release if that helps.
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #663 on: January 14, 2011, 10:36:22 am »
😐 🎶

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #664 on: January 14, 2011, 11:05:59 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1346900/The-app-read-mind-iPhone-brainwave-detector-matter-time.html

Had a feeling this was what it would be. Just didn't bother posting. Lots of talk about this stuff amongst privacy advocates. I know that I certainty wouldn't want any of that crap in my phone! As cool as it can be, there are just way too many entities out there abusing this sort of stuff. Not worth it!

It's also something that's been discussed for years amongst UFOlogists. Some claim that it's alien technology though I'm not all that sure about that. Old, old news for us. Just hasn't been on the market until now.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:09:38 am by Jaguar »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #665 on: January 14, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1346900/The-app-read-mind-iPhone-brainwave-detector-matter-time.html

Had a feeling this was what it would be. Just didn't bother posting. Lots of talk about this stuff amongst privacy advocates. I know that I certainty wouldn't want any of that crap in my phone! As cool as it can be, there are just way too many entities out there abusing this sort of stuff. Not worth it!

It's also something that's been discussed for years amongst UFOlogists. Some claim that it's alien technology though I'm not all that sure about that. Old, old news for us. Just hasn't been on the market until now.

i have a feeling this thing is all hype and hope.  it doesn't allow you to control your phone - it detects general brain activity and produces a graphic accordingly.  it's a biofeedback device with a fancy visualization front-end, a screensaver that reacts to electricity flow in in your brain instead of the beat of music in your media player.  low electricity = "meditation/relaxation", more electricity = "concentration".  this isn't new (or alien) technology.  the real advance here is that someone figured out how to manufacture this thing in china at a consumer-friendly price.

they play up the "control your iphone with you mind!" angle, but note that there is no talk of hands-free dialing, or playing games on screen using only your mind, or anything that shows that your brain is being read with any complexity.  if this device held any future potential to read your mind beyond more general activity vs. less general activity, you can be sure they'd be advertising the hell out of it.

this is entrepreneurship and marketing at its finest.  it's a borderline scam to separate iphone/ipad owners from their money. 
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #666 on: January 14, 2011, 03:11:31 pm »
^ Have to agree with all of that.

Reminds me exactly of those things they've been selling for 20+ years with lights and sounds (can't remember for the life of me what they are called or I'd link one) that supposedly work along with your brain waves. New Age tech toys, more or less. Seems to me, all Apple did was find a way of adapting the very same technology into their products and are pretending that it's all so 'new'.

Now, there is technology that can pick up on brain waves and control stuff but it's very expensive and usually involves RFID chips and such. At this stage, usually reserved for those with severe physical disorders. Best people to research regarding that sort of technology are Drs. Michael Persinger and Jose Delgado; although, there are probably some very good new ones on the scene by now.

Jaguar

« Reply #667 on: January 14, 2011, 03:24:45 pm »
Okay, here we go. This is what I was thinking of except that it goes in the other direction; inward towards the brain rather than actually reading the brain waves. Not really that big of a stretch though. Just super stripped down and extremely simplified EEG tech for the masses.

vansmack

« Reply #668 on: January 14, 2011, 03:48:16 pm »
27>34

Jaguar

« Reply #669 on: January 14, 2011, 08:12:04 pm »
For Doomie and others weighing your phone options.

Shrewd business move or is Verizon setting themselves up for near future customer loss?

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111835/smartmoney-hello-iphone-goodbye-upgrades

walkonby

« Reply #670 on: January 14, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »
i'm having headphone jack issues on my blackberry tour.  i'm reading on the net that it seems to be a "normal problem" on the things.  all of sudden the headphone jack stopped working, sometimes cutting in and out and then nothing, thereby only playing music through the phone speakers and not through to my connector jack to my car or on any headphones.  is there a way to fix this?  am i doomed.  please o god don't tell me i'm going to have to take it to my local sprint store full of bumbling idiots who seem to have the same answer for anything . . . "did you get insurance on that thing?"

Jaguar

« Reply #671 on: January 14, 2011, 10:43:49 pm »
^ Followed up by 'We have a deal on the new....'

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #672 on: January 15, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »
I picked up a Samsung Captivate today.  It's a beautiful phone.  I will say that the Android OS is definitely more chaotic than the Iphone, and some of the apps seem a generation behind the Iphone's (Facebook is notably suckier for example).   There's redudancies which seem unnecessary -- for example, I've found at least three different ways to check my email.  Why is that needed? Unlike the Iphone, which you can basically start using not having ever seen one before, there's a bit more of a learning curve.   Nontheless a day into it I am enjoying it.   
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #673 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »
SmartMoney: Hello iPhone, Goodbye Upgrades

You'd have to be living in a cave to have missed the big Tuesday news that the iPhone is finally coming to Verizon (NYSE: VZ - News). But what the company didn't announce yesterday may turn out to be more important to subscribers: A change in the company's upgrade policies that will make phones more expensive for current and future Verizon customers.

Verizon officials have confirmed what SmartMoney was told by Verizon sales reps at a number of stores around the country: The company is ending its popular "New Every Two" program, which offers Verizon subscribers a credit of $30 to $100 toward a new phone every two years. As of Jan. 16, the company will stop offering the credit to new customers and won't re-enroll current customers in the program after their next New Every Two upgrade. The cell carrier is also putting the brakes on its permissive early upgrade policy, store representatives confirmed.

(...)

That's true for every other cell carrier as well, because most offer their own discounts and early upgrades. And as they roll out their own 4G networks and accumulate more smartphone subscribers, they're also likely get more stingy with upgrades, says Neil Strother, an analyst for ABI Research. That perk-tightening comes on top of extra fees and higher early exit charges.

continued: http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111835/smartmoney-hello-iphone-goodbye-upgrades
<sig>

Stillwater

« Reply #674 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »
May have missed it, but does anyone have a good link to the new iphone model that is getting released in July 2012 that the article is referencing?