Author Topic: Death From Above - Black Cat/Ottobar  (Read 2287 times)

xcanuck

Death From Above - Black Cat/Ottobar
« on: April 25, 2005, 09:07:00 am »
So who's going to see Death From Above tomorrow at the Black Cat or Wed at the Ottobar? controller.controller and Uncut are opening (all bands are from Toronto).

My hockey team plays in the league championship tomorrow night and we may not get out in time for the DFA set but I'll definitely be at the Ottobar gig and probably to the Warehouse Next Door gig to see Uncut.

If you haven't seen/heard DFA, the best way I can describe them is that they've got a stripped down QOTSA sound. Melodic heavy metal riffs and loud vocals that kinda border on screaming (but in a good way). DFA always makes me want to break s**t.

sonickteam

Re: Death From Above - Black Cat/Ottobar
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 09:22:00 am »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  So who's going to see Death From Above tomorrow at the Black Cat or Wed at the Ottobar? controller.controller and Uncut are opening (all bands are from Toronto).

My hockey team plays in the league championship tomorrow night and we may not get out in time for the DFA set but I'll definitely be at the Ottobar gig and probably to the Warehouse Next Door gig to see Uncut.

I'd love to see em at the Ottobar, but i had no one to go with....I suppose if some other Canadians will be there......

xcanuck

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
Originally posted by white man from town:
  I'd love to see em at the Ottobar, but i had no one to go with....I suppose if some other Canadians will be there......
My wife and I will be there. I'll undoubtedly be the only east indian guy rocking out to DFA.  :)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 11:28:00 am »
I will be at both the show tomorrow and Thursday night's Uncut show. Looking forward to it!

dumpkopf

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 05:29:00 pm »
Yeah I'll be there/ This is the 3rd time seeing them @ the Ottobar.

Stony

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 07:58:00 pm »
Wouldn't miss em. Hope to catch up with kurosawa at the show

Jaguär

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 01:20:00 am »
I'll most definitely be at The Warehouse show with Uncut and A Place To Bury Strangers!

Would love to go to the Baltimore show but The Ottobar works their shows backwards from closing time and starts way too late for me having to get up the next day for work. I might push it except that I'd be no good Thursday for the Warehouse show. Frustrating as I'd also like to have the opportunity to catch Death From Above 1979.

dumpkopf

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 02:07:00 pm »
Whatever you do go see DFA1979. It will be well worth it.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:14:00 am »
My main reason for going last night was to see Uncut, and they did not disappoint. They were terrific! And they played 4 new songs. They seemed tighter this time around (versus when I saw them at CMJ). You all should not miss them while they are in town. Who knows when they will be back! Thursday night at the Warehouse...

Controller.controller struggled a bit because their guitarist is out of commission and Ian of Uncut had to step in to help out. He'd only played with them 3 times before and learned the songs in the last four days. They aren't my favorite band normally. Their songs tend to sound the same to me. But I do like the song History. And they have a lot of energy.

Death from Above 1979 just weren't my thing. The crowd was really enjoying themselves, though! I noticed a lot of guys in the crowd who were into the more aggressive sounds. Fair enough. I like loud and thrashy, too, sometimes. This band just seemed particularly guy-oriented. Definitely not a slam on them since I liked seeing how they connected with their audience. They just didn't connect with me.

Stony

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 10:00:00 am »
I agree. I had not heard Uncut. They sounded great. Overall a great show-good fun...

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 05:47:00 pm »
Another convert! Stony, I saw you from afar but was in the middle of a conversation. You coming Thursday?

Stony

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 07:36:00 am »
You always have excellent taste in sounds. Where are they playing?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 08:11:00 am »
Stony, Uncut are playing tonight at the Warehouse Next Door. They should be on around 9:30pm.

The Warehouse Next Door
 1017 7th Street NW
 Washington, DC

Here's the thread with more details:
 http://www.930.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009909

xcanuck

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
I caught the Ottobar show last night. Uncut impressed me and I loved DFA.

Uncut does have a bit of a sameness to their songs but they're young and their sound will grow. One of the two vocalists is MUCH stronger than the other - they should probably stick with him. But overall, I really dug the overall sound. I'm looking forward to seeing them again (alas, not tonight as I have yet another hockey game).

DFA should take some downers before the show. They played everything at double speed, to the point where they were slightly out of sync with each other. Plus with the bass being so distorted, alot of the bass licks just sounded like white noise. Having said that, they still kicked serious ass. Tons of energy and great songs.

I didn't really get controller.controller. Not my cup of tea but alot of people were enjoying them so more power to them.

The crowd was pretty sedate for DFA. Anyone see both the Black Cat and Ottobar shows? I wonder how they were received in DC.

mr_eff

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »
Controller.Controller. They were pretty good. The lead guitar, bass and drums were all pretty solid. The singer sounded good.

But did anyone notice that the band looked everywhere in the room except at the crowd. It was really strange. I was in the front row, really wanting to dig the music and the band, but they never really made any effort to connect with the the people standing in front of them. It irked me. Just a look and a smile would have been nice. They're a dance-rock band after all.

DFA sounded great. I wasn't really in the mood for the show, but I can't fault the energy they brought along. If I were better rested and better fed, I would have had a better time. Of that, I'm sure.