Author Topic: Bob Mould's thread o' positivity  (Read 5569 times)

ggw

Re: Bob Mould's thread o' positivity
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 01:52:00 pm »
I love Candy Apple Grey.  That was the first Hüsker Dü album I had.  Zen Arcade is also essential, although I don't see the Forum Nice Guy being crazy about that one.  Both Sugar albums are great.  I like Mould's solo stuff, but I don't know that any one album sticks out.  All have at least a couple of great songs.

Sir HC

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 02:27:00 pm »
In high school did an English paper on a song from New Day Rising.  I got the new CD haven't played it yet, but really like the packaging.  

Was a huge Husker fan, kind of changed directions when Sugar came about, and got back into his recent stuff seeing him at the 9:30.

There was an interview with Bob in Magnet recently.  He says that he goes to the gym like every day, he is a gym bum.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 02:43:00 pm »
LOVE the new disc.  It's got a little bit of everything - rock, ballads, dance tunes...If you like any phase of his career, there's something here you'll really like.

My favorite Husker Du records are the "Metal Circus" EP and "New Day Rising".  Not necessarily the best ones, but they were my first and they totally blew me away.  I still play NDR about once a week or so.

Can't wait for the 9:30 gig next month.

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 03:43:00 pm »
I'm going to see the 2nd night in Chicago and the Philly shows as well. So far it looks like a pretty standard setlist, heavy on Copper Blue, but a fair amount of other stuff from the new record and the Husker Du output. Reports are that it's a VERY solid show.

Jaguär

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 02:16:00 am »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
 That being said, I can think of something positive to say about him, oh yes I can. I hope it doesn't sound too gay. How many guys start out as doughy, nerdy 20 year olds, and end up as hunky 45 year olds?  
It's almost always the Gay ones, unfortunately for we Straight women.   :roll:  

On a more positive note, a friend of mine just saw him in London and knows him and tried to talk him into moving there. Bob said no that he loves living in DC too much. So you local Bob fans can take pride in that.

dlcjr1775

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 07:15:00 am »
1) Copper Blue
 2) Self-titled (hubcap)
 3) Body of Song
 4) New Day Rising (Husker Du)
 5) Black Sheets of Rain

Favs off Body of Song :
 1) I am Vision, I am Sound
 2) Best Thing
 3) High Fidelity
 4) Underneath Days
 5) Beating Heart the Prize

Thanks for reading

dlcjr1775

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 11:48:00 pm »
anyone else?

Sir HC

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
Listening to it for the first time on my way to work.  Track two annoyed me with the Cher effect on the vocals.  Thought I heard a bit of that effect in the back on track 3 too.  His voice is great without the fx.

bearman🐻

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 10:45:00 am »
I'm not a fan of the gay disco vocals either, though I think Modulate had some really underrated and interesting songs. "Lost Zoloft" and "Comeonstrong" blew me away. In particular, a song like "Trade", which doesn't thrill me on record, can pretty much bring me to tears when it's just Bob and his electric guitar. I don't always agree with his execution of songs (like the chimes and organ on "High Fidelity"), but the core of most of Bob's songs are pretty solid. In some form or other (on record, live, acoustic, electric, etc.), it works.

As for favorite LPs...jeez. Here's my list of favorites according to era:

Husker Du top 5
 1) Warehouse: Songs and Stories
 2) Flip Your Wig
 3) Zen Arcade
 4) New Day Rising
 5) Everything Falls Apart

Sugar
 1) Copper Blue
 2) Beaster
 3) Besides bonus live disc
 4) File Under: Easy Listening
 5) Besides

Solo
 1) Black Sheets of Rain
 2) Bob Mould
 3) Workbook
 4) Body of Song
 5) Modulate

Bags

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
So what are we gonna do?  Bob Mould was a featured artist on last week's episode of The OC.  And it was prominently featured -- it was the montage music of the episode, if I recall.  And then they put up the "Body of Song" album at the end of the episode.

Wow.

Shows in a few days, I'm getting excited (the Mould show, not the next episode of The OC!!).

bearman🐻

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
Bags, all I can say is that the 2nd Chicago show was absolutely mind-bending. The only other show that might have been better (now mind you I never got to see Husker Du) was Sugar on the Beaster tour. And let me just say...Brendan Canty on drums and Jason Narducy on bass is one hell of a rhythm section. I couldn't stand still throughout almost the entire thing. The DC show is going to fucking KILL.

Bags

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Bags, all I can say is that the 2nd Chicago show was absolutely mind-bending. The only other show that might have been better (now mind you I never got to see Husker Du) was Sugar on the Beaster tour. And let me just say...Brendan Canty on drums and Jason Narducy on bass is one hell of a rhythm section. I couldn't stand still throughout almost the entire thing. The DC show is going to fucking KILL.
yes, yes.  Have a friend coming in from Philly for the DC/Friday night experience.  YEAH.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
I've been looking forward to this show for a while.  This quote from Bob at The Onion AV Club has me very excited.

I'm really excited about the Sugar stuff more than anything else, you know, Copper Blue and so on. It's such a cool record, they're such fun songs to play live, I think that's gonna really be a blast... There are a lot of great songs in that stretch of my songbook, so that's the focal point. The new record is the focal point. I think Hüsker hits are a focal point. You know, a lot of the Workbook stuff is so great in the acoustic setting; I might just leave it where it works best. It's rock time.

bearman🐻

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »
I'm going up for the Philly show as well. It's just too darn good a time to pass up. Who knows if he'll ever do this again. When the band blasts into "Could You Be the One?" it just doesn't get much better than that. The way that Brendan sets that frantic pace through the Husker Du material is a thing of beauty. This is one of the better rock shows anyone can see this year. Hate to say it, but it blew away the Queens of the Stone Age show I saw earlier this year.

bryronic

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 10:42:00 pm »
ah, to hear the praise of kindred spirits. new day rising was definitely a turning point in my little life.
 and what a great ride since then. his career has given us celebration, angst, sorrow, regret, longing, love, lust, energy, comfort, and ever present celebration.
  i always think of him when i see those commercials with the guy calmly listening to his ipod or equiv. yet his shadow or reflection is totally jamming.
  that is what mr mould has always given me, my own little jam session.
 less than 48 hours. i will be the one having more fun than anyone else. maybe including you.