Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 394240 times)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #1065 on: July 02, 2024, 11:24:35 pm »
I see hutch being this guy in 15-20 years
I will be offering my bookmaking services to anyone who would like to bet on Hutch being alive or dead in 15 or 20+ years. Please PM me for current odds.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1066 on: July 03, 2024, 12:54:28 am »
I  am actually giving up about 10,000 records..trading them in or donating …just did my first 400 last week and got 500 more I am taking in n tomorrow

It’s that or a separation and honestly it’s just too much and gets in the way of the records I really like.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1067 on: July 08, 2024, 08:45:32 pm »
I  am actually giving up about 10,000 records..trading them in or donating …

at a certain point, an album collector will amass more music than he/she has time left on this earth, i.e. if they spent the rest of their lives listening to their collection they wouldn't have enough time to listen to it all.  hutch: have you reached that point, and if so when did you pass that tipping point?  any others willing to fess up to the same?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1068 on: July 08, 2024, 08:53:16 pm »

at a certain point, an album collector will amass more music than he/she has time left on this earth, i.e. if they spent the rest of their lives listening to their collection they wouldn't have enough time to listen to it all.  hutch: have you reached that point, and if so when did you pass that tipping point?  any others willing to fess up to the same?

I buy maybe a record or two a year at this point...

However,  I need to sell my lambic collection.  Know any east coast buyers?

hutch

« Reply #1069 on: July 08, 2024, 09:12:37 pm »

Well that’s not the issue for me as I am a music lover and collector… I don’t need to listen to it all as my idea was to have a very expansive library of music from which to draw on.

But I am drowning in it and more importantly so is my house, am sick of dealing with it, and have decided I want to have a more curated collection.

Maybe in the 6-7k range. And the advantage of sorts is the store credit I get from trading in records I don’t listen to I can use to buy new records I really want… also my tastes have evolved…sick of classic rock…sick of a lot of jazz, vocal music, country….

Originally I thought of selling them on discogs but time has run out and it’s such a hassle.

Yada

« Reply #1070 on: July 08, 2024, 09:48:27 pm »
You should hold a record store day at your house and invite me, challenged, and dye for some crate digging.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1071 on: July 08, 2024, 10:03:35 pm »
Swore I posted it on here years ago but can't find my post on the four levels of record collecting:

1. The Backgrounder: small collection of compilations, greatest hits, multi-platinum hits, and Xmas records. Tends to play them at low to moderate volume.

2. The Fan: medium to large collection featuring a variety of artists. Multiple releases of a few favorite acts. Plays at all volumes; cranks up favorites.

3. The Curator: large to very large collection featuring a wide variety of genres and eras. Has complete runs of favorite acts. Collection is well-maintained. Plays at medium to loud volumes.

4. The Hoarder: very large to enormous collection that may be unwieldy. Very wide variety of genres and eras with obvious concentrations. Very completest with many acts; owns many later editions of many titles (may also own doubles). Most of collection is well-maintained but there may be some disorganization. Constantly playing music.
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #1072 on: July 08, 2024, 10:38:15 pm »
I am 4. looking to switch to 3.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1073 on: July 09, 2024, 09:47:44 am »
Swore I posted it on here years ago but can't find my post on the four levels of record collecting:

1. The Backgrounder: small collection of compilations, greatest hits, multi-platinum hits, and Xmas records. Tends to play them at low to moderate volume.

2. The Fan: medium to large collection featuring a variety of artists. Multiple releases of a few favorite acts. Plays at all volumes; cranks up favorites.

3. The Curator: large to very large collection featuring a wide variety of genres and eras. Has complete runs of favorite acts. Collection is well-maintained. Plays at medium to loud volumes.

4. The Hoarder: very large to enormous collection that may be unwieldy. Very wide variety of genres and eras with obvious concentrations. Very completest with many acts; owns many later editions of many titles (may also own doubles). Most of collection is well-maintained but there may be some disorganization. Constantly playing music.

You forgot "Owns all the records, never plays any of them"

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1074 on: July 24, 2024, 06:24:45 pm »

« Reply #1075 on: August 15, 2024, 12:26:31 pm »
slack

« Reply #1076 on: August 29, 2024, 08:50:27 am »
Merchbar is having a decent sale and $3.99 shipping
https://www.merchbar.com/sales/vinyl-deals

Strokes this is is $14.99
Stoges S/T $17.99
Jack White - No Name  $17.49
Neutral Milk Hotel In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (Reissue/180g) $12.99
slack

« Reply #1077 on: August 29, 2024, 09:17:46 am »
So this is interesting...
(found out about this as the Cure is releasing a 12in with them )

https://nakedrecordclub.com/pages/how-are-naked-record-club-records-eco-friendly

WHY ARE PVC RECORDS BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND HOW ARE NAKED'S ECO-VINYL RECORDS DIFFERENT?
The shocking truth is that over 99% of new vinyl records contain highly toxic chemicals (including lead and chloride) which poison the earth. These records cannot be recycled and take an estimated 1000 years to decompose*.
* This statistic is from Kyle Devine - Head of Research and Associate Professor in the Department of Musicology at the University of Oslo

Addicted To Plastic? Eco-Vinyl And The Impact Of Our Listening Habits
NAKED does not use traditional vinyl pressing plants. All NAKED records are non-toxic and recyclable
.... make records from PET (the most recyclable non-toxic plastic in the World), it also makes records with exceptional sound quality.

slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1078 on: August 29, 2024, 10:00:11 am »
So this is interesting...
(found out about this as the Cure is releasing a 12in with them )

https://nakedrecordclub.com/pages/how-are-naked-record-club-records-eco-friendly

WHY ARE PVC RECORDS BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND HOW ARE NAKED'S ECO-VINYL RECORDS DIFFERENT?
The shocking truth is that over 99% of new vinyl records contain highly toxic chemicals (including lead and chloride) which poison the earth. These records cannot be recycled and take an estimated 1000 years to decompose*.
* This statistic is from Kyle Devine - Head of Research and Associate Professor in the Department of Musicology at the University of Oslo

Addicted To Plastic? Eco-Vinyl And The Impact Of Our Listening Habits
NAKED does not use traditional vinyl pressing plants. All NAKED records are non-toxic and recyclable
.... make records from PET (the most recyclable non-toxic plastic in the World), it also makes records with exceptional sound quality.

Where do they think lead and chloride come from?

« Reply #1079 on: September 19, 2024, 02:38:05 pm »
ugh, like I needed something new to start draining my wallet

But have gone all in on buying new vinyl (some used)

Here is the list of purchases in the last month

Manu Chao - Clandestino (2xLP+CD) (Gatefold)
Lou Reed - Transformer 150 Gram, Rmst
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um  Blue, Colored Vinyl
Sam Cooke - At The Copa  180 Gram
Various Artists - This Are Two Tone
John Coltrane Blue Train (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) 180 Gram Vinyl Mono LP
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne Clear Vinyl
Jeff Buckley - Grace  180 Gram
The Cult - Love Gatefold LP Jacket
Yard Act -The Overload
Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique Vinyl LP
Air: Moon Safari (180g)
Portishead: Roseland NYC Live - 25th Anniversary Edition (Colored Vinyl) Vinyl 2LP
Minutemen: Double Nickels On The Dime (Colored Vinyl) Vinyl 2LP
Fatboy Slim - You've Come A Long Way Baby[2 LP]
Nick Cave - Wild God
Fontaines DC - Romance 2 LP
Fontaines DC - Skinty Fia
Fontaines DC - A Hero's Death
slack