Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 267374 times)

BrettnotBritt

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #810 on: March 18, 2022, 09:14:36 am »
Recently picked up both the 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 Beatles compilations (Red and Blue albums, respectively) that were reissued in 2014 - I'm not a huge fan of greatest hits records but these were actually cut from the analog master tapes and sound fantastic (especially the Blue album). Most of the Beatles rereleases are out there are just digital transfers, a few of which I own, and don't pack a punch like these do. (I also got my mom's original White Album [Capitol] and holy hell it's such a bad pressing)

The key for the Red/Blue LPs is to make sure the back says Printed in the EU with a copyright year of 2014. If the copyright year is 2018 and/or says Made in Canada, avoid! That's a bad pressing. The 2014 LPs are still floating around out there so grab'em while you can.

Starsky

« Reply #811 on: March 21, 2022, 07:58:08 am »
That’s a good tip

It’s always a good idea to research reissues before plonking down $35 as there are a lot of lemons

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

« Reply #813 on: March 23, 2022, 11:43:50 am »
this is a cool concept, vote for the next vinyl reissue

https://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/

found out as luna wants you to vote (but put the wrong link)
Run Out Groove are considering a deluxe 2LP version of Lunapark for its 30th anniversary. Vote at runout groovevinyl.com
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #814 on: March 23, 2022, 05:49:32 pm »
So are they just converting CDs? I'd consider the Kyuss but I already have that on disc. Somewhere.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #815 on: March 31, 2022, 04:37:49 pm »
Presence has its moments and fans….

for the zepheads: a history of Presence.  a long, but good, read.

How Presence pulled Led Zeppelin out of the wreckage
Led Zeppelin were ready to begin another huge US tour – then disaster struck. But out of the chaos rose Presence, an album Jimmy Page considers one of their best
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #816 on: April 05, 2022, 04:55:28 pm »
on kickstarter:

DropStation: Vinyl Capture Workstation
DropStation is a self-contained, mastering-grade vinyl digitization workstation aimed at preserving the world's decaying analog media.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #817 on: April 05, 2022, 05:51:26 pm »
But once its digital it won't be as good, right?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #818 on: April 05, 2022, 07:41:43 pm »
But once its digital it won't be as good, right?

by "good", i'm going to assume you mean "that vinyl sound."

if this product produces a high quality digitization of the vinyl - "mastering-grade" would seem to imply this - then the resulting digital file should sound virtually identical to the original vinyl, including "that vinyl sound."

don't forget amplification: if you run your turntable through a tube amp, you'll want to run the digital file through that same amp to get the sound you're used to.  also, you'll want a high-end soundcard.  it would be silly to spend time, effort and dollars on a good digitization setup only to playback through a laptop's 1/8" headphone jack (i.e. the built-in soundcard, which is invariably not up to the job).

some studio engineer/producer type, can't remember who, once said "i use analog for its sound, and digital for its non-sound."  a properly made high-quality digital recording should be indistinguishable from the original source.  analog, on the other hand, introduces subtle distortion - but in many cases we find that distortion pleasing.  it adds things like "warmth" and "character", vs. digital which is perceived as "cold" (as in it doesn't add any warmth, just what you see is what you get).  abbey road has a sound, pro tools does not.
<sig>

« Reply #819 on: April 05, 2022, 09:21:09 pm »
did sweets have that on a cue card?
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #820 on: April 06, 2022, 11:43:04 am »
nah, i'm just a bit of a (former) studio nerd.  a long time ago i had occasional access to a professional recording studio (buddy worked there), i have done live sound for shows in bars, i have a small MIDI studio setup at home that i dabble in... and i read too much.  the combo of being bored and a fast typer leads to the above ;D
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #821 on: April 08, 2022, 01:53:43 pm »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #822 on: April 08, 2022, 01:57:02 pm »
Will probably quadruple in value
Upon release? That's some sufficient arbitrage. Should I buy ten and flip?
LVMH

« Reply #823 on: April 08, 2022, 02:01:04 pm »
does it at least come with commemorative rolling papers for that price

HA!
Limited Edition of 4,000

so lets do the math
$550 x 4 = 2200 (1650 Profit)
you corner the market and get them all
4000 x 1650 = $6,600,000

not to shabby, maybe hutch is on to something
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 02:06:30 pm by Side key bump ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #824 on: April 08, 2022, 02:05:12 pm »
I wouldn’t say right upon release but probably within a year or two

Look at the 72 suitcase appreciation….and this is vinyl which people are Gaga over

Anyways I am not buying or offering advice