Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259598 times)

dyecraig

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2016, 07:23:23 pm »
not really feeling the new cd cellar. lacks vibe.

but that did not stop me from picking up a few things.
i did feel like a small child sheepishly hoisting my selections up to the guy at the counter.
the great jack sheldon on trumpet on the curtis counce (ojc reissue, but still cool).
woody shaw deeply missed.
grant hart comes with a dvd doc (from $30 (?) to $3, can't lose)
not iggy's finest, but no such thing as boring iggy.

hutch

« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2016, 07:38:44 pm »
dude.. we have similar tastes for sure...oh i had that grant hart one in my hand but put it down....i also eyed the curtis counce.. such a great album cover...i guess i am holding out for the original but i've been holding out for over 10 years now...i almost bought that iggy cd for the extra tracks...

they have to change the layout or do something... i feel like i'm being observed from an observation tower or something while i'm in there...

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2016, 10:30:54 pm »
I came up with the following a couple of years ago:

The Four Levels of Record Collecting

Level 1: The Backgrounder
Likes music enough to play it occasionally, usually at a low volume. Has a small collection (<100) of chart-toppers and compilations.

Level 2: The Fan
Plays music often, sometimes at moderate volume. Has a penchant for particular artists, especially ones that they have been a fan of for many years. Collects many of the releases of those artists plus other hits and deep catalog titles. Typical collection size of 100 to 500 releases.

Level 3: The Listener
Wide breadth of music interest and knowledge. Plays music often. Collects recordings of many genres and eras. To some degree, may be a completist collector of particular artists and/or labels. Collections are usually well organized  and contain over 500 releases. Many such collections number well into the thousands.

Level 4: The Hoarder
Extremely large collection sizes, often well over 10,000 items, many of which may be duplicates. Collections may be well organized but these collectors are sometimes overwhelmed by the shear number of items. Items may be stored in more than one room; some may be stored in off-site storage. In the most extreme cases, items may be stored in unusual places, such as in ovens. Items may be accumulated indiscriminately with the idea that they will eventually listen to them or that they may someday be valuable.

This is pretty much a draft with no actual publication intended, just sharing here. What would you change about it?
😐 🎶

dyecraig

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2016, 07:47:05 pm »
^ pretty spot-on.
i've a ways to go before i need to start being concerned, at least that's what i tell myself.

a deutsche grammophon mini-hoard that i'll get around to alphabetizing this weekend...
i've accumulated most of this in just the past few months for pretty much next to nothing.

Yada

« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2016, 11:24:14 am »

dyecraig

« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:48 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:16:13 pm by dyecraig »

hutch

« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2016, 10:34:19 pm »
holy mother of beezus...

killsaly

« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2016, 11:45:24 pm »
Damn...

Unsanity

« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2016, 03:05:26 am »
cool stuff...but how much was it all?

dyecraig

« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2016, 04:29:49 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2016, 05:10:47 pm »
i dig getting my mitts on a couple of those two tone records.. i'm all about the 7" these days..
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »
This reminds me, I need to score a copy of Mesh and Lace or another 4AD Modern English LP, to get signed at their upcoming show...

If any of you crate diggers happen upon one, hook me up! 

hutch

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2016, 10:39:37 am »
I demand an explanation for the unholy alliance of 2016 score, dyecraig!

Did Henry Rollins sell off his triplicates??

« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2016, 12:45:10 pm »

HEARTBREAKER DELUXE REISSUE

Ryan's debut album will be re-released on May 6th on 180gm 4LP/DVD and 2CD/DVD Deluxe Editions. Remastered from the original tapes, the album will come in a deluxe box set that features the 15 song album plus 20 demos and unreleased outtakes. The DVD will include never before seen footage of a complete solo acoustic show at the Mercury Lounge in New York City in October 2000.

All preorders include instant download of ?Locked Away,? a previously unreleased outtake from the original album session
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2016, 01:21:44 pm »
I demand an explanation for the unholy alliance of 2016 score, dyecraig!

Did Henry Rollins sell off his triplicates??
a nice lady that runs auctions out here has a barn in the back and lets me know when she has a stash.
believe me, i was losing my mind looking through this stuff.
some of the covers were pretty filthy, but the vinyl was clean.
she did not have a story about the records, but definitely someone from the u.k. or europe with amazing taste/luck.
basically just let me cherry pick it and gave her a benjamin for the time, effort and dirt.
wifey told me i'm done now.