Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259859 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #900 on: December 02, 2022, 03:16:04 pm »
Macron will gift Biden a Vinyl of the original soundtrack of Claude LELOUCH's film "Un Homme et une Femme,” which is the film that Biden and Jill Biden went to see on their first date.

classy move.
<sig>

« Reply #901 on: December 23, 2022, 11:57:14 am »
This is cool

Get great presents like this collection of music from John Hughes movies at record stores like Spoonful Records] and get the scoop on the music from John Hughes movies when you listen to the latest episode of the Record Store Day Podcast featuring music supervisor Tarquin Gotch and Hughes’ hometown record store @waxtraxchicago

amz has it for $125  https://www.amazon.com/Life-Moves-Pretty-Fast-Mixtapes/dp/B0B6CGHW5J
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 12:02:18 pm by SideSanta ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #902 on: December 23, 2022, 12:23:31 pm »
I don't get it. Aren't like 90% (or more!) of these songs on streaming services? I mean a playlist is free. And these songs don't seem to benefit from the (dubious) higher audio quality that vinyl delivers. And the artists royalties from a niche LP box set ultimately don't amount to a cup of coffee...

« Reply #903 on: December 23, 2022, 12:52:53 pm »
I don't get it. Aren't like 90% (or more!) of these songs on streaming services? I mean a playlist is free. And these songs don't seem to benefit from the (dubious) higher audio quality that vinyl delivers. And the artists royalties from a niche LP box set ultimately don't amount to a cup of coffee...
so you say you care about the artists' royalties, yet use streaming services
but either way...the artists aren't getting that much.  they make way more if you buy a tshirt from their website if you really want to support them

I just like the fact that it's in one cool package, nothing to do with audio quality
and it's fairly unique in scope

some of my all time favorite tracks are in this box set
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 12:55:32 pm by SideSanta ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #904 on: December 23, 2022, 08:25:17 pm »
Spent $39 for the 4CD set. Definitely lots of fun. Some people have complained about key missing tracks. Sure, "Danke Schoen" should have been included but most buyers already have "Twist And Shout". Finally have Silicon Teens' re-recording of "Red River Rock". TONS of track-by-track liner notes. I learned a lot about how the soundtrack sausage is made.

I'm sure the streamers are also enjoying the liner notes. /s
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #905 on: January 12, 2023, 08:07:11 pm »
bad news, smax: vinyl definitely isn't dead (nor are cassettes)

Vinyl Grows For The 17th Straight Year, Taylor Swift Breaks Modern Sales Record

(...) Well, looks like the vinyl boom is also still going strong in the US. In 2022, for the second year in a row, vinyl sales outsold CDs in the US, according to the Luminate Year-End Music Report and Billboard. Likewise, vinyl sales grew for a 17th consecutive year in the US, with Taylor Swift’s Midnights being the top-selling vinyl in 2022 with 945,000 copies sold last year. In other words, Midnights was not just the top selling album of the year, it had the most vinyl sales in a year since Luminate — formerly SoundScan — began tracking in 1991. One out of every 25 vinyl albums sold was a Taylor Swift album, if you count Folklore‘s #7 spot.
(...)
In a funny bit of irony, the report also states that only half of fans buying records actually own a record player.
(...)
As for cassette tapes, in 2022 sales in the US increased by 28% to 440,000, up from 343,000 in 2021.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 08:09:39 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #906 on: January 12, 2023, 08:42:49 pm »
bad news, smax: vinyl definitely isn't dead (nor are cassettes)

Vinyl Grows For The 17th Straight Year, Taylor Swift Breaks Modern Sales Record

(...) Well, looks like the vinyl boom is also still going strong in the US. In 2022, for the second year in a row, vinyl sales outsold CDs in the US, according to the Luminate Year-End Music Report and Billboard. Likewise, vinyl sales grew for a 17th consecutive year in the US, with Taylor Swift’s Midnights being the top-selling vinyl in 2022 with 945,000 copies sold last year. In other words, Midnights was not just the top selling album of the year, it had the most vinyl sales in a year since Luminate — formerly SoundScan — began tracking in 1991. One out of every 25 vinyl albums sold was a Taylor Swift album, if you count Folklore‘s #7 spot.

Less than 1 million and you think it's not dead.  Cool.

(...)
In a funny bit of irony, the report also states that only half of fans buying records actually own a record player.
(...)
As for cassette tapes, in 2022 sales in the US increased by 28% to 440,000, up from 343,000 in 2021.

It's because you moved up the Tour presale if you added the code from your vinyl, Target package, cassette, etc. (just to prove that the 945,000 is a false number).  How did that work out for everybody?  I would suggest visiting Reddit /taylorswift for a sample.
27>34

« Reply #907 on: January 12, 2023, 10:27:31 pm »
One out of every 25 vinyl albums sold was a Taylor Swift album, if you count Folklore‘s #7 spot.
that is one crazy stat

but followed by, 1/2 a mill of those records will never see a needle, ever
does that really count as music sales or memorabilia?

on a related note, the Dr is in
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/563118475403529
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #908 on: January 12, 2023, 10:57:58 pm »
Less than 1 million and you think it's not dead.  Cool.

you think that alive/dead isn't binary, but somehow has shades of grey.  cool.

It's because you moved up the Tour presale if you added the code from your vinyl, Target package, cassette, etc. (just to prove that the 945,000 is a false number).  How did that work out for everybody?  I would suggest visiting Reddit /taylorswift for a sample.

a kids meal that is bought because it contains a toy is still a kids meal sold.
<sig>

« Reply #909 on: January 12, 2023, 10:59:40 pm »
a kids meal that is bought because it contains a toy is still a kids meal sold.
I'd say in that example 90-98% of those meals are eaten
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #910 on: February 02, 2023, 04:34:09 pm »
Today I learned if you bought a red vinyl version of The White Stripes "White Blood Cells" sold only at live shows it's apparently worth a thousand dollars... Turns out my black vinyl version of this record is possibly worth a mere hundred dollars...  which is now the third rare White Stripes release I own

I learned this while watching someone unbox and then rant about the poor quality of the new $575 White Stripes - White Blood Cells - The Electric Recording Company pressing.  TL/DW - basically the use of Tubes to master this record soften the sound of Meg's drum and there were major issues with quality of the sleeve, including the use of a black sharpie to cover up some flaws in the sleeve.  He expected much for what they asking for that pressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf9NtUJj6R4
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #911 on: February 02, 2023, 04:45:18 pm »
I learned this while watching someone unbox and then rant about the poor quality of the new $575 White Stripes - White Blood Cells - The Electric Recording Company pressing . . .

He expected much for what they asking . . .

LVMH

« Reply #912 on: February 02, 2023, 05:53:14 pm »
Today I learned if you bought a red vinyl version of The White Stripes "White Blood Cells" sold only at live shows it's apparently worth a thousand dollars... Turns out my black vinyl version of this record is possibly worth a mere hundred dollars...  which is now the third rare White Stripes release I own

I learned this while watching someone unbox and then rant about the poor quality of the new $575 White Stripes - White Blood Cells - The Electric Recording Company pressing.  TL/DW - basically the use of Tubes to master this record soften the sound of Meg's drum and there were major issues with quality of the sleeve, including the use of a black sharpie to cover up some flaws in the sleeve.  He expected much for what they asking for that pressing.

please tell me you didn't spend 28 mins watching this vid
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #913 on: February 03, 2023, 11:15:02 am »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #914 on: February 03, 2023, 11:19:05 am »

please tell me you didn't spend 28 mins watching this vid

well mainly i listened to this and it's probably the longest non-concert video i've ever watch on youtube...  and it didn't at all drag along
T.Rex