Author Topic: dead meadow roll call  (Read 1563 times)

snailhook

dead meadow roll call
« on: April 26, 2005, 05:26:00 pm »
dead meadow is playing their first electric set in dc since last june, tomorrow at the warehouse. the child ballads (stuart from jonathan fireater) and samara lubelski (folk/psych singer/guitarist from hall of fame/sonora pine/tower recordings) are opening. details are on the warehouse thread.

q and not u ain't got nothin' on this bill!

Sir HC

Re: dead meadow roll call
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 05:48:00 pm »
Probably heading to B-more tonight to see them at the Ottobar.

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 05:55:00 pm »
make sure you get there early enough to see parchman farm.  those guys -- and gal -- rock, grand funk style.

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 06:08:00 pm »
I should be there.  Sounds like a solid show.

Snailhook, were you at the Animal Collective show last night?  I thought I recognized you from the 9:30 flyer dealie, but wasn't sure.  

What did you think of the show?

Originally posted by snailhook:
  dead meadow is playing their first electric set in dc since last june, tomorrow at the warehouse. the child ballads (stuart from jonathan fireater) and samara lubelski (folk/psych singer/guitarist from hall of fame/sonora pine/tower recordings) are opening. details are on the warehouse thread.

q and not u ain't got nothin' on this bill!

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 06:47:00 pm »
yup, i was indeed at the animal collective last night. i thought they were terrific, though they could have cut their set by about 20 minutes; i thought it dragged a little at the end. i'm glad they played some earlier stuff and kept the mood dark and ominous. i really don't get the hipster buzz around them, as their music is generally out-there and inaccessible. i suppose you can blame pitchfork for that.

i think you'll like samara lubelski, so if you're going to dead meadow, get there early.

SalParadise

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 07:05:00 pm »
  yup, i was indeed at the animal collective last night. i thought they were terrific, though they could have cut their set by about 20 minutes; i thought it dragged a little at the end. i'm glad they played some earlier stuff and kept the mood dark and ominous. i really don't get the hipster buzz around them, as their music is generally out-there and inaccessible. i suppose you can blame pitchfork for that.

i think you'll like samara lubelski, so if you're going to dead meadow, get there early.
re: animal collective

did they cover the entire "i just called to say i love you" by stevie wonder? or was he just throwing in the chorus into another song?

i was in complete awe of their performance.

and they look nothing like i pictured them. the second guitarist looks like every other kid i went to high school with.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 08:02:00 pm »
Well it looks like we have a thread turnaround here..

More on the topic of Animal Collective, which was absolutely one of the best sets I've had the pleasure of experiencing in DC all year. I'm with Snailhook on how unsual it is that this band has caught on with any of the posturing hipsters around here at all who certainly made their presence known at last night's gig. Sound exploration via guitar feedback, tribal drumming, and vocals ranging from incoherent murmurs to piercing howls -which, until last night I thought was territory explored by only the most elite of the williamsburg, bk crop. But, I was proven wrong since I even saw some people dancing.. at black cat on a Monday night?! Not to mention the fact they did an encore after already playing way longer than I think anyone anticipated.

The buzz on that band seems to stem from a number of things. One of course would be the deafening praise the online music zines gave them last year. It seemed to do wonders for The Arcade Fire and Bloc Party. Another is the very accesible and melodic nature of their latest lp, Sung Tongs, which I believe they only played one song from last night. They didnt even play the mtv2 single. tsk tsk.

I dug Ariel Pink too. Maybe it's because we don't get a lot of bands around here drawing from corners of music such as Throbbing Gristle, Suicide and the like, especially being played by kids. More psych/noise in dc please!

snailhook

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 08:16:00 pm »
More psych/noise in dc please!
i'm trying, i'm trying!

great observations, bro. i, too, was amazed at the amount of hipster dancing. now if we could just get some of these kids out to the other noise shows...

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:22:00 am »
Yeah, I thought it was pretty unreal how they blended their set together, making even the one or two Sung Tongs tracks sound cohesive with their earlier work.  To be honest, I was content paying the $10 just for the live version of Kids on Holiday.  And from then on out, it just took off.

I agree about the set length, although I think I would've taken it out of the middle somewhere.  I can't remember which song it was (I'm terrible with song names), but it really dropped the pace to a crawl, and up until that point, I thought they had a nice progression of songs.  And man, nothing beats the tribal drumming they were kicking out.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.  Provided this cold doesn't kill me, I should be there for the whole show.