Author Topic: Yo La Tengo  (Read 7026 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Yo La Tengo
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 10:01:00 pm »
what's the deal with tickets for this show ... going to sell out before doors open?
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
  what's the deal with tickets for this show ... going to sell out before doors open?
From the FAQ:

posted 09-12-2006 05:16 PM                    
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 At this juncture it is not in immediate danger of selling out, however it is unlikely that there will be tickets available at the door.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Dare

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 07:02:00 am »
got tickets to see why?
 probably wont stay for yo la tengo

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 10:17:00 am »
Who else is going tonight?

Here are some songs I'm dying to hear:

Sudden Organ
 Detouring America With Horns
 Black Flowers
 Beanbag Chair
 Our Way to Fall
 Damage
 Stockholm Syndrome
 I Was the Fool Beside You For Too Long
 Did I Tell You

This should be a fun show.

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 11:14:00 am »
Unforunately, I'm out tonight.  I'd love to be there, but the stress of some looming deadlines, a new puppy, and some last minute first-anniversary planning I haven't had time to do has me thinking it's better to skip.  Should be a great show, though; the new album is fantastic.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »
We got them to play Detouring America with Horns in the encore at Recher theater a few years ago. They take tons of request in the encores usually and don't like to play stuff they played on recent dates so check out some prior setlists if you can to see what not to request.

Originally posted by bearman:
  Who else is going tonight?

Here are some songs I'm dying to hear:

Sudden Organ
 Detouring America With Horns
 Black Flowers
 Beanbag Chair
 Our Way to Fall
 Damage
 Stockholm Syndrome
 I Was the Fool Beside You For Too Long
 Did I Tell You

This should be a fun show.

snailhook

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »
i'll be there...i never miss a YLT show. they are consistently one of the best live bands of the past 20 years, and no two sets are ever the same.

brennser

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 04:43:00 pm »
Happy anniversary nkotb!

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Unforunately, I'm out tonight.  I'd love to be there, but the stress of some looming deadlines, a new puppy, and some last minute first-anniversary planning I haven't had time to do has me thinking it's better to skip.  Should be a great show, though; the new album is fantastic.

tigersscareme

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 05:35:00 pm »
Back in 1996 they played at the club with Helium and Labradford, and that was one of my favorite shows. It was spectacular...I also loved it when they opened for Teenage Fanclub at the old club and nearly blew them away. They were a tough act to follow.  
I saw labradford open for superchunk at the trocadero in 1994. some kids were throwing pages of a magazine at them and mac mccaughn came out and yelled at them.

the kids....not labradford.

snailhook

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
hahaha, that figures. i love labradford, but they were not the kind of band that should have opened for superchunk.

bearman🐻

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 12:23:00 am »
Fantastic show...most of the new record got played, and you could tell that folks were getting a little impatient with the new stuff, but I still thought it was really good for being the second night of their tour. Here's the setlist:

The Weakest Part
 The Story of Yo La Tengo
 Stockholm Syndrome
 Little Eyes
 Mr. Tough
 Beanbag Chair
 Song For Mahila
 I Feel Like Going Home
 I Should Have Known Better
 Sudden Organ
 Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind
 Watch Out For Ronnie
 From A Motel Six
 Deeper Into Movies
 Blue Line Swinger
 -----------------
 You Can Have It All
 She's My Best Friend (Velvet Underground)
 (John Cale song)

I had to leave during the John Cale song...did they play anything after that? Why? were a decent opener, I liked some of their songs. Glad that I caught this show, the new material is really great.

ggw

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 01:01:00 am »
I agree with Bearman -- fantastic show. (Sorry nkotb; I know we're supposed to pretend that the shows you miss sucked.)

Great performance. Great crowd. Great sound. Really great job with the sound.  Every little nuance came through.  Much of that probably had to do with the crowd.  You could have heard a pin drop during the mellow parts.

I didn't notice people getting impatient with the new material.  The new stuff sounded as good live as it does on the album.

I split as soon as they were done with She's My Best Friend.  The band left the stage at the same point; so unless they did a second encore, that was it.

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 01:16:00 am »
They played an Arthur Lee song after giving him and Syd props.

friarfunk

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 01:18:00 am »
They did a second encore--an Arthur Lee cover and then "Cherry Chapstick," as requested by a guy in the front row.  Great, great show.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 01:37:00 am »
I thought the sequence of songs was weird. The Story of YLT as 2nd song?! The guitar part of Stockholm Syndrome was messed up. I thought the covers were far superior than the slow songs from the new album. Besides the guitar part of The Story of YLT, I thought the guitar work was a little too loud and excessive.
(_|_)