Author Topic: Yo La Tengo  (Read 7024 times)

bearman🐻

Yo La Tengo
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »
Not sure what has come over me, but I can't stop listening to them, and I am so excited for this show now that I've had a chance to absorb the new record. So what are we hoping to hear? Any ideas of what might get played? Anyone else going?

nkotb

Re: Yo La Tengo
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »
If it doesn't sell out before hand, I should be there.  Haven't given the new album it's proper attention yet due to a flood of new music from eBay, Lala and emusic, but from a few listens it definitely smokes.

Originally posted by bearman:
  Not sure what has come over me, but I can't stop listening to them, and I am so excited for this show now that I've had a chance to absorb the new record. So what are we hoping to hear? Any ideas of what might get played? Anyone else going?

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »
They're definitely better to listen to than to look at.

Barcelona

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  They're definitely better to listen to than to look at.
Actually, the show I saw with Portastatic opening for them at the 9:30 is one of the best shows I have seen in the Club. If I were in DC, I would definetely go to see them.

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »
Back in 1996 they played at the club with Helium and Labradford, and that was one of my favorite shows. It was spectacular...I also loved it when they opened for Teenage Fanclub at the old club and nearly blew them away. They were a tough act to follow.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:52:00 pm »
I saw then in  Koln, Germany in 1995ish?...it was the same day Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode tried to kill himself. Ira Kaplan made some sort of joke to the effect that the music world would have been better off had he succeeded.

xcanuck

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:03:00 pm »
I picked up tix for this show and am really looking forward to it. I've never seen them before and really don't know much of their music but I've really liked what I've heard so far.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »
I'll be there.  

The new album is great.  It's not a new sound or anything, but it's got a much higher quality:quantity ratio than their other recent stuff.

vassego

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »
Glad to hear people have enjoyed their shows.  I haven't seen them either, but I've heard from a few folks that they disliked them live.  I'll take positive opinions over negative any day.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »
Why, they're equally valid.

I've seen them a number of times. When they are good, they're really good. When they are bad, they're self-indulgent to the point of puke.

Originally posted by vassego:
  Glad to hear people have enjoyed their shows.  I haven't seen them either, but I've heard from a few folks that they disliked them live.  I'll take positive opinions over negative any day.

ggw

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 05:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by vassego:
I've seen them three times before. One very good, one pretty good, one not so good (although that was due more to poor sound at Pitchfork than to the band).

It's kind of like their albums -- when they're "on" it's fantastic, when they're "not" it leans toward the mediocre.

freakoretardo

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 05:42:00 pm »
Seen 'em once. I thought it was great, other people I talked to after the show thought it blew.

"I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One" is on my top ten list of the greatest albums of all time.

vassego

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 10:03:00 am »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  Why, they're equally valid.

I was being facetious actually. I welcome both opinions, negative ones just make me nervous, and I want the show to rock!

evilizac

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
I saw them last time they played 930 (I think). They had the Sun Ra Arkestrah as the openers, didn't know what to expect after that (great experience) but Yo La Tengo wrapped the whole night up wonderfully. Great show and I've been waiting anxiously to see them again.
WHAT?

matts

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 08:28:00 pm »
Seen 'em thrice, all were great- I never noticed any obnoxious self-indulgence.  Each time, the song choice was well done which was important to me because I think there is a lot of no-so-great stuff mixed with the gems on their records.  I recall that the shows really put my lady in the mood so bring your SO.