Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2631655 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #10365 on: June 13, 2022, 10:22:12 am »
GBV as well

Space Freely

« Reply #10366 on: June 13, 2022, 10:22:26 am »
I'm uhh... this is another band I know nothing about. It'll be all new territory for me.
you only have to listen to 1500 songs to fully know their catalog, you have enough time by Saturday to get that in (most are in the 2 min range)

Kinda like the weens?
nah, they only have 8 alubms of music and have not penned a new song since 2007
GBV has probably released 500 songs in that time

I like the Ween catalog from the past 15 years better.

« Reply #10367 on: June 13, 2022, 10:27:22 am »
I'm uhh... this is another band I know nothing about. It'll be all new territory for me.
you only have to listen to 1500 songs to fully know their catalog, you have enough time by Saturday to get that in (most are in the 2 min range)
but if you can only fit in one album, Bee Thousand is a good place to start
they also always play a few songs off their latest release...which is currently: Crystal Nuns Cathedral
But it's not unfathomable that a new album will drop before saturday :)

Edit- welp almost
Tremblers And Goggles By Rank by Guided By Voices, releases 01 July 2022

I did think the previous release: It's Not Them. It Couldn't Be Them. It Is Them!
was solid and hope they keep some in the set list (Dance of Gurus  and Spanish Coin )

oh Space, rocking the dad jokes
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 10:29:35 am by GBV-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #10368 on: June 13, 2022, 10:39:08 am »
There is such a fine line between a Space joke and a Space serious statement.

« Reply #10369 on: June 18, 2022, 11:56:50 am »
GBV, GBV, GBV, GBV, GBV!

word is venue will not be packed tight...so come on down to the show

hit the stage at 9:15 (but you could show up at 10 and still get 25 songs)
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #10370 on: June 18, 2022, 01:29:50 pm »
I'm there!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10371 on: June 18, 2022, 01:33:25 pm »
Uhgg.  That was a once is enough band for me.  Unfortunately I saw them a 2nd time.  But hope you have fun.

GWAR!
It was fantastic and everything I expected
although I'm super thankful that they listed the set times..as I really didn't want to catch any of the other 3 bands
and wasn't upset that we rolled in 25 mins late

I don't go for the music, I go for the spectacle and they delivered
was fun to just see 700 people having a blast and covered with blood and semen

Not for everyone and maybe only once a decade...

Also all the Staph had these special white 9:30 commerative GWAR shirts
Just looked weird to see the staff in white shirts
Once is definitely enough when it comes from GWAR. Believe me.
LVMH

Bagley

« Reply #10372 on: June 20, 2022, 11:38:34 am »
GBV, GBV, GBV, GBV, GBV!

word is venue will not be packed tight...so come on down to the show

hit the stage at 9:15 (but you could show up at 10 and still get 25 songs)

Welp, how was the irrepressible Mr. Pollard?

« Reply #10373 on: June 20, 2022, 11:59:22 am »
They sounded great

I only caught 2 high kicks, bob was having a great time
pounding beers and drinking tequila straight from the bottle

Hutch claimed that Bobby Bare Jr might actually be GBV parsley, and honestly, I couldn't argue that was not a fact after keeping an eye on him for most of the show

it was probably 60% capacity in the club...which was fine with me
Made sure to pick up some merch to support the boys

Apparently NKOTB was spotted at the show

On a sad note, found out right before the show started, one of our friends (who was at the ottobar show last year) died unexpectedly two days prior
after the show, some of them met up with GBV and got the whole band to sign an LP in honor of our fallen friend
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #10374 on: June 20, 2022, 01:01:24 pm »
Whoever was throwing beers on the floor should be waterboarded.

I only counted Uncle Bob drink 4 beers.  He had one swig from the tequila bottle in the beginning of show, handed bottle to crowd and never took another drink from that bottle.  As such the show was a much less sloppy mess by the end compared to the last show I saw at the Ottobar.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:03:40 pm by Cock Van Der Palm »

Yada

« Reply #10375 on: June 20, 2022, 01:10:39 pm »
scott hirsch

Starsky

« Reply #10376 on: June 20, 2022, 01:23:39 pm »
Whoever was throwing beers on the floor should be waterboarded.

I only counted Uncle Bob drink 4 beers.  He had one swig from the tequila bottle in the beginning of show, handed bottle to crowd and never took another drink from that bottle.  As such the show was a much less sloppy mess by the end compared to the last show I saw at the Ottobar.

I agree with that….. they sounded good and Bob was more with it.. he gave a shout out to the club calling it the best in this country..I know he feels that way cause he even mentions it when he plays the black cat

I wasn’t familiar with the songs from their last three albums… I bought all the LPs at merch …their last copies they brought on this trip to Philly and DC

The sound guy, Travis Harrison, is really a member of the band …I explained about our friend who passed away that morning and had tickets for show..and he was shocked and took record and got it signed and dedicated but thinking about it the next day maybe it was a silly thing to ask but Andrew would have dug it and he was on our minds.. just to drop dead out of the blue…a single dad too…ugh…a really great guy…I was not close with him but my two friends at the show were and they are devastated

Getting older sucks…it’s watching everyone you care for battling and dying…but it sure beats the alternative…my mom has a lot of older friends and they die all the time! She makes new friends and then they die…pfft

After having seen them 17 times I have reached the point I don’t need to hear Tractor Rape Chain (the song that reeled me into GBV) or I am a scientist again…some of the songs they play them every single time
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:27:45 pm by Starsky »

Space Freely

« Reply #10377 on: June 20, 2022, 01:28:21 pm »
They sounded great

I only caught 2 high kicks, bob was having a great time
pounding beers and drinking tequila straight from the bottle

Hutch claimed that Bobby Bare Jr might actually be GBV parsley, and honestly, I couldn't argue that was not a fact after keeping an eye on him for most of the show

it was probably 60% capacity in the club...which was fine with me
Made sure to pick up some merch to support the boys

Apparently NKOTB was spotted at the show

On a sad note, found out right before the show started, one of our friends (who was at the ottobar show last year) died unexpectedly two days prior
after the show, some of them met up with GBV and got the whole band to sign an LP in honor of our fallen friend

Sorry about your friend. :(

What is GBV parsley?

« Reply #10378 on: June 20, 2022, 02:02:30 pm »
What is GBV parsley?
something that doesn't add much to the actual meal.
He had no solos, some songs he didn't even play
I'm a big fan of BBJ too
slack

Starsky

« Reply #10379 on: June 20, 2022, 02:07:09 pm »
It means he doesn’t add much flavor up there…all the heavy lifting on guitar is done by Doug…Bobby is almost there for the “hang”…. Maybe he contributes more on the records? There are times up there he literally is not playing anything. Other times he doubles up whatever Doug is doing (and yeah that “fattens” up the sound)….they could cut him from the band and I think it would sound fine… at least that’s my impression but he must be doing something orno way Bob would keep him on the clock…their profit margins can’t be large