Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2666384 times)

azaghal1981

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1605 on: October 16, 2009, 10:11:17 am »
I'm thoroughly convinced that Ben Chasny can do no wrong.

The Lichens solo set was incredible as well.

I wish I could get as into Om as everyone else who was there but just couldn't. The Grails dude is a much better drummer than the OG guy and adds a lot; especially when the Lichens dude (Rob?) was on vocals (I don't remember the last time I heard vocal range like that). It was definitely more engaging than the last time I saw them but I dunno...still not completely there for me. I still found much of the set monotonous. Yeah yeah...I know that's the idea.

P.S. Cali, I'm a guy.

P.S.S. The first Lucero opener, Cedric Burnside and Lightnin' Malcolm were very enjoyable. Solid electric Delta blues.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:31:51 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #1606 on: October 16, 2009, 11:36:31 am »
Six Organs played a very clean acoustic, John Fahey-esque kinda set, no distortion, no effects pedals, very awesome.

Have you seen the lineup he's touring Europe with? I'm so jealous. If I was as insane as ixkpd-bk (who toured with an artist I can't understand someone wanting to see but once or twice in a lifetime), I'd have a flight booked and would be working on transportation/lodging for the whole tour right now.

"The tour dates for Europe November-December have been posted at the Drag City Tour Page. This band will consist of myself, Elisa Ambrogio on guitar and
electronics, Alex Neilson on drums, and Andrew Mitchell on guitar."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:40:54 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Cali

« Reply #1607 on: October 16, 2009, 05:36:32 pm »
? you might be able to high-tail it to the club after AC/DC and catch most of the raveonettes.
nope, was only interested in seeing the angels again. really enjoyed their set last night. saw raveonettes at the cat and that was enough.

P.S. Cali, I'm a guy.
no idea why i thought you were a girl, sorry

..If I was as insane as ixkpd-bk (who toured with an artist I can't understand someone wanting to see but once or twice in a lifetime
who?d ixp follow around. there are a few bands i wouldn?t mind following

azaghal1981

« Reply #1608 on: October 16, 2009, 05:40:57 pm »
I'm not sure if he would want that info publicized. He can volunteer it if he wants.
احمد

Christine Moritz

« Reply #1609 on: October 16, 2009, 11:04:03 pm »
tuesday: Daniel Johnston at 930>Phosphorescent at BC>maybe Kraak and Smaak at 930
Did you make it to Kraak & Smaak?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1610 on: October 17, 2009, 02:02:46 am »
Nope. Joe was my ride and didn't want to go.
احمد

brennser

« Reply #1611 on: October 17, 2009, 09:59:20 am »
did one of you dj the airborne toxic show? setlist please if you did
http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=19641.0

bearman🐻

« Reply #1612 on: October 19, 2009, 12:58:01 pm »
Social D rocked Atlantic City, FYI. Wonderful crowd, and it's always appropriate to hit the slots before (and after) a Social D show. Here's the setlist...Thatguy, I totally thought of you. The Strangers were a terrific opening band too, loved 'em. Cannot wait until they come back through DC again.

The Creeps
Another State Of Mind
Mommy's Little Monster
Sick Boy
Don't Drag Me Down
Ring of Fire
Highway 101
Bad Luck
Reach for the Sky
Can't Take It With You
Ball and Chain
Bakersfield
Nickels and Dimes
Sometimes I Do
Encore:
Making Believe P
99 To Life
Far Behind
Story Of My Life

xcanuck

« Reply #1613 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »
Anyone going to the Hip show tonite? There's an expat group meeting up at Duffy's before the show, if you're interested.

The last several Hip albums have ranged between mediocre and godawful. But their live shows are still worth seeing. No opener - just two sets of the Hip, with Ottawa homeboy Jim Bryson sitting in on keys.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1614 on: October 19, 2009, 01:13:48 pm »
are the Hip really the Pearl Jam of Canada?

I don't get the comparison. The Hip singer doesn't sound like a chimpanzee trying to sing.
(_|_)

wml7

« Reply #1615 on: October 19, 2009, 01:14:39 pm »
Social D rocked Atlantic City, FYI. Wonderful crowd, and it's always appropriate to hit the slots before (and after) a Social D show. Here's the setlist...Thatguy, I totally thought of you. The Strangers were a terrific opening band too, loved 'em. Cannot wait until they come back through DC again.

The Creeps
Another State Of Mind
Mommy's Little Monster
Sick Boy
Don't Drag Me Down
Ring of Fire
Highway 101
Bad Luck
Reach for the Sky
Can't Take It With You
Ball and Chain
Bakersfield
Nickels and Dimes
Sometimes I Do
Encore:
Making Believe P
99 To Life
Far Behind
Story Of My Life

I'm seeing them at the National in Richmond on Tue.  Should be a great show but looks like they are doing the same set list for each show and do they not play when the angels sing anymore?

bearman🐻

« Reply #1616 on: October 19, 2009, 01:25:01 pm »
Nope they haven't played that in a LONG time. If you want to see a more diverse setlist, check 'em out in So Cal. Those are their best shows hands down!

eltee

« Reply #1617 on: October 19, 2009, 03:50:00 pm »
Anyone going to Mum Friday?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1618 on: October 19, 2009, 03:59:33 pm »
I was considering it until Man Man was announced.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1619 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:48 pm »
If I was in DC tonight I would most certainly be at the Tragically Hip show. Pissed that this biz trip has me missing them. Again.

So far, only show on this week's docket for me is U2 in vegas. Maybe I'll find a mid-week show here in SF (where should I be checking for local listings?)
<sig>