Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2669794 times)

Christine Moritz

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #2130 on: May 12, 2010, 01:41:09 pm »
PiL tonight!

:)

walkonby

« Reply #2131 on: May 12, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »
i wish i could be there just to see johnny forgotten throw a bitch fit at the size of the crowd.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2132 on: May 12, 2010, 07:41:28 pm »
If you see a dude in blue jeans with a dark t-shirt on with curly hair, be sure to say hello!

not very descriptive, but i'll try...

me = dark green pants, black boots, brown t-shirt (or red hoodie), dark hair.  likewise, come say hi.

oh yeah, i have an extra ticket that i'm very willing to negotiate on.  PM me, i'll get it on my phone.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:43:20 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2133 on: May 13, 2010, 11:04:37 am »
no reviews of PiL?

how many people were there?
(_|_)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2134 on: May 13, 2010, 11:29:01 am »
Not sold out but nice and full by the time they came on.  It was nice being at the club when it wasn't just filled to the gills.

I thought it was pretty great actually.  Just around 2 hours, never got boring, and actually got better and better as it went along.  Highlight for me was Religion.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2135 on: May 13, 2010, 11:47:58 am »
no reviews of PiL?

how many people were there?

sorry, i had a deadline this morning so i've been busy...

the club was comfortably full.  one could walk to the bar and make their way back to the center of the floor with minimal disruption, and always find space.  a few minutes before the band went on, it was possible to get a balcony rail spot.  wish more shows were like this.  average age of the crowd was pretty high, at 36 i felt on the young side.

show was great, borderline excellent. 

i wish i could be there just to see johnny forgotten throw a bitch fit at the size of the crowd.

noting the typical DC-doesn't-dance vibe, johnny said "you know, you don't have to stand like lamp posts all night".  but instead of getting petulant, it seemed to motivate him to put on a better show.  i wasn't expecting that from him.  he was swigging from a bottled of Courvoisier VS, as far as i could tell, and would gargle the drink before gulping it down :)

the guitarist (Lu Edmonds) played several different guitar-like instruments, including something that looked like a banjo that he played with a violin bow.  it was pretty cool to watch.  they played to backing tracks on at least a few songs.

apparently johnny was hanging out in adams morgan the other night.  and there was a video camera filming johnny during the show last night as well.

npr stream: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126561683 - i suspect this show will only make for a so-so listening experience.  definitely something you wanted to be there for (vs. other shows that stand on their own as a recording...)
<sig>

betao

« Reply #2136 on: May 13, 2010, 02:23:47 pm »
I thought PiL were great as well. Not as good as the Coachella set, but still fantastic nonetheless. The band still seemed tight as can be, despite Lu being sick.

Jonny was pretty talkative as usual, and threw in a brief bit of political banter towards the middle of the set. He told us to "enjoy the Sun while we can, because it's the only thing they haven't put a tax on".

The average age of the crowd was pretty high - I'm 21 and the friend I brought along was 20, and we the youngest ones around for sure. Pretty mellow crowd for the most part, although it surprised me that towards the front in the center, a small mosh pit broke out during the encore.

here is a setlist:

This Is Not A Love Song
Poptones
Memories
Tie Me to the Length of That
Albatross
Death Disco
Flowers of Romance
USLS 1
Disappointed
Sun
Black Rubber Bags
Chant
Religion
---
Public Image
Rise
Open Up

James Ford

« Reply #2137 on: May 13, 2010, 02:33:33 pm »
How does a 21 year old afford tickets to Coachella and a $45 PIL ticket?

I thought PiL were great as well. Not as good as the Coachella set, but still fantastic nonetheless. The band still seemed tight as can be, despite Lu being sick.

Jonny was pretty talkative as usual, and threw in a brief bit of political banter towards the middle of the set. He told us to "enjoy the Sun while we can, because it's the only thing they haven't put a tax on".

The average age of the crowd was pretty high - I'm 21 and the friend I brought along was 20, and we the youngest ones around for sure. Pretty mellow crowd for the most part, although it surprised me that towards the front in the center, a small mosh pit broke out during the encore.

here is a setlist:

This Is Not A Love Song
Poptones
Memories
Tie Me to the Length of That
Albatross
Death Disco
Flowers of Romance
USLS 1
Disappointed
Sun
Black Rubber Bags
Chant
Religion
---
Public Image
Rise
Open Up

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2138 on: May 13, 2010, 02:42:23 pm »
^ Pell Grant money
(_|_)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2139 on: May 13, 2010, 02:50:36 pm »
How does a 21 year old afford tickets to Coachella and a $45 PIL ticket?
Trust fund?

betao

« Reply #2140 on: May 13, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »
By working 20+ hours a week while in school and saving money. Coachella isn't all that expensive either, depending on where you stay.

I originally wasn't going to PiL because of the prices, they were a bit steep. But their coachella was just so good, I had to see them again.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2141 on: May 13, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »

"i'm half english and half irish - believe me, i know a thing or two about tea parties".

lol.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2142 on: May 13, 2010, 03:41:01 pm »
By working 20+ hours a week while in school and saving money. Coachella isn't all that expensive either, depending on where you stay.
Aww... if you'd said trust fund we could've been friends. :(

notme

« Reply #2143 on: May 13, 2010, 04:03:32 pm »
big spittoon on stage.  also video recorded with at least 4 cams for release(?)

azaghal1981

« Reply #2144 on: May 13, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »
Religion was indeed a highlight. As were Public Image, Tie Me to the Length of That, Poptones and Warrior. I did find myself getting bored during a few songs, too, however. USLS1 dragged a bit as did Sun. Betao, they also played Psychopath and Warrior which you didn't list.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:42:10 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد