Author Topic: Wakarusa recap....  (Read 937 times)

redsock

Wakarusa recap....
« on: June 20, 2004, 10:59:00 pm »
Well, while the rest of you were battling Beastie Boys fans, I spent my weekend in a van...and we made a pit stop in Kansas to hit a festival. Not that many of you cared, but my recap anyway...

17 hours in a van sucks hard, try doing it twice in 3 1/2 days!

Kansas is nice enough and the Wakarusa crew put on a very decent show, things were clean, stuff was always available, etc...

Exit Clov played two awesome sets and made some new fans, and met tons of people in the jam scene... which could be a very unfortunate thing.

Having a band-pass for one of these festivals is awesome. Free food, clean camping, vip access to "the pit" for all shows, backstage access for any set. If only this was a coachella type thing... I just didn't feel the need to hang out backstage with Galactic.

I still don't like hippies, and I now dislike pot more than ever... and why oh why do you keep hastling me to buy a grilled cheese???

RE: the bands
     Exit Clov was awesome

Spoon was very dissapointing, seen them before, and liked them, but they were kinda flat

Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Hairy Apes BMX, Robert Walters 20th Congress all share mgmt. with the Clov, so I have to say they were ok. And honestly, the first two weren't bad...some F-ing amazing muscians, no doubt about it. JFJO were all about the jazz, Hairy Apes into some funky punk. But neither of it was really my thing.

Others, like STS9 were ok I guess, I'm just not into this jam stuff. Galactic, Jazz Mandolin Project, boring stuff. This one band, Green Lemon were kinda ok... but later heard their demo and it's bad.

GBV came out, and i was sad, cause we were only staying for a few songs. Well, they played three new ones and a couple otehrs, and were just rocking... I was really excited, finally I got to see a real RnR band do their thing, but we had to go, 17 hours were ahead. The sad part is, I was the only one who appreciated them. Bad, bad, bad...

So, overall, very few good bands, mostly just ok at best. But the Clov had a succesful weekend, and I got to hang out backstage, which was cool. Clovette and her twin met with Britt from Spoon and passed him their CD, at least I talked up his indie cred enough for that to happen.

So, that's that. Sunday night at 10 pm, 3 full days after we left and i'm gonna pass out.