Author Topic: Joe Strummer R.I.P.  (Read 73387 times)

Henry Dark

Re: Joe Strummer R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2002, 01:23:00 pm »
Merry Christmas to you, too.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mankie:<BR><B> Or even worse...you did!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

markie

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2002, 01:29:00 pm »
do you two have to trivialize this thread, of all threads?<P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2002, 01:44:00 pm »
When I first saw this thread this morning, I was wondering how long it would take before it turned into an insult against another board member, or a rant about Coldplay or soccer. My guess of 12 posts was pretty close.<P>But to return it to the topic at hand, which Clash song is your favorite?

thirsty moore

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2002, 01:55:00 pm »
Remote Control, Know Your Rights, Straight To Hell, Lost In The Supermarket... and so on, and so on.  They had a ton of great songs.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2002, 02:25:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B><BR>But to return it to the topic at hand, which Clash song is your favorite?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have several favorites from The Clash:<P>This is Radio Clash, Career Opportunities, (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais, Bankrobber, Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice) among many others. <P>Thanks for the music, Joe.   <P>

markie

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2002, 02:27:00 pm »
its difficult to call a favourite, a lot of the songs are all of  such great quality....<P>there is no obvious how soon is now or atmosphere.<P>Personally, I always got a big kick out of I fought the law, but I prefer spanish bombs, but some of the more obscure underrated songs like Lose this skin are really inspired as well.<P>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2002, 02:38:00 pm »
whiteman in hammersmith palais is my favourite song.  he was great in "straight to hell"
OU812

Sir HC

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2002, 02:51:00 pm »
For me:<P>Sounds of Sinners, Bankrobber (they got dub right that time), Police and Theives, and the whole movie Rude Boy.  Think I will have to get that one today.

G.Love

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2002, 02:55:00 pm »
Damn, I just found out and I feel like someone just punched me in the gut!  <P>"Don't you bother me, not anymore<BR>I can't take this tale, oh, no more<BR>It's all around, Jimmy Jazz"

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2002, 02:55:00 pm »
Unbelieveable.  Just woke up and saw this (I'm on west coast time this week).  Not how I wanted to start my day.  Markie, I wish I were in DC so we could get loaded tonight with you, mourn and watch "Westway to the World."<P>"Straight to Hell" is my favorite Clash tune.  <P>I'm seeing Social D tonight - looking forward to Ness and the band's tribute.  About the only thing that may put a smile on my face today.  <BR>
27>34

markie

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2002, 03:01:00 pm »
cheers Vansmack,<P>I think I will have a beer or two, I dont think I could manage Westway to the world right now though.<P>

mankie

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2002, 03:24:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Hard to believe Shane McGowan outlived Joe Strummer. Bummer.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Excuse me for taking offense to this posting, now fuck the lot of you!<P>

paige

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2002, 04:32:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G.Love:<BR><B>Damn, I just found out and I feel like someone just punched me in the gut!  <P>"Don't you bother me, not anymore<BR>I can't take this tale, oh, no more<BR>It's all around, Jimmy Jazz"</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>sigh....Jimmy Jazz..<P>

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2002, 05:23:00 pm »
I'm still really bummed, mostly because  I just broke out all my vinyl Clash that I keep here at my folks place in CA and I'm remembering all the times I used to listen to these albums over and over again with friends learning to play guitar or getting fired up for a show, a piercing, a tattoo or something.  Hell, even when we just went out breaking shit.  <P>Elvis has died for punk fans.
27>34

markie

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2002, 05:28:00 pm »
I am extra bitter that its the only one of the lot of them that is still producing great music.<P>I was too young to really get the clash first time around, I remember the first  time I heard I fought the law was at a disco before a Fat lady sings show at Peterborough football club. The crowd went wild. <BR>