Author Topic: Joe Strummer R.I.P.  (Read 73945 times)

gerry

Joe Strummer R.I.P.
« on: December 23, 2002, 06:26:00 am »
Seriously sad and shocking news<P>From BBC.com<P>                                                                            <BR> Joe Strummer, the leader of legendary Seventies punk band The Clash, has <BR> died, aged 50, of a heart attack. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> A spokesman for Strummer confirmed to BBC News Online that the singer died <BR> on Sunday. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> A posting on the artist's website reads: "Joe Strummer died yesterday. Our <BR> condolences to Luce and the kids, family and friends." <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> Strummer formed The Clash in the mid Seventies, and the band, who became <BR> punk figureheads with The Sex Pistols, were regarded as one of the most <BR> powerful rock bands of The Seventies. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> The Clash arguably gave punk a classic pop sensibility and their vital <BR> spirit in turn influenced later bands such as the Manic Street Preachers. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR>  (Embedded image moved to file: pic13977.jpg) <BR>  Strummer recently launched a new career with his band The Mescaleros <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> The band were politically aware and became known as champions of left-wing <BR> causes. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> They were anti-racist and were noted for inflammatory, intelligent punk <BR> songs such as London Calling, White Riot, White Man In Hammersmith Palais <BR> and Tommy Gun. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> Along with the Sex Pistols, they were the figureheads of the punk scene that <BR> put London on the map as the centre of the musical world in the late <BR> Seventies. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> The band, who also boasted Mick Jones, Topper Headon and Paul Simonon, <BR> became huge stars in the US. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> Rolling Stone voted London Calling, their classic 1980 album (released in <BR> 1979 in the UK) as the best albums of the 80s. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> Jeans ad <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> In 1982 they supported The Who at Shea Stadium, the US venue made famous by <BR> The Beatles. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> Their 1982 song Should I Stay Or Should I Go was their biggest US hit, and <BR> was posthumously used in an ad for jeans manufacturer Levi's. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> Strummer led the band until 1986, after sacking Mick Jones. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> In the last few years Strummer forged another successful career with his <BR> band The Mescaleros, touring around the world and releasing two albums - <BR> Rock Art And The X Ray Style in 1999, and 2001's Global A Go-Go. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> He also played with The Pogues and featured in several films, including Alex <BR> Cox's Walker and Straight To Hell, and Jim Jarmusch's 1989 Mystery Train. <BR>                                                                            <BR>                                                                            <BR> He leaves a wife and family. <BR>                                                                            <P>

Joymonster

• MySpace
Re: Joe Strummer R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 09:14:00 am »
That is such sad news...<P>The music world has lost a true legend.<P>

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 09:59:00 am »

markie

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 10:25:00 am »
<BR>Fuck. <P>Rock  and Roll is dead.<P><BR>I cant believe it, there were rumours of a new album and tour and the rock and roll hall of fame.......<P>I think I am going to listen to Rock art and the x-ray style and shed a tear.<P>WHEN JOHNNY COMES MARCHING HOME AGAIN<BR>NOBODY UNDERSTANDS IT CAN HAPPEN AGAIN<BR>THE SUN IS SHINING AN' THE KIDS ARE SHOUTING LOUD<BR>BUT YOU GOTTA KNOW IT'S SHINING THROUGH A CRACK IN THE CLOUD<BR>AND THE SHADOWS KEEP FALLING WHEN JOHNNY COMES MARCHING HOME

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 10:28:00 am »
Oh, that's terrible. What a loss to his family and the music world.

poorlulu

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2002, 11:04:00 am »
god he was so young...........<P>that is incredibly sad news.............

mankie

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2002, 11:06:00 am »
I really can't think of anything to say...so I won't.

mankie

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2002, 11:30:00 am »
As much as it pains me to admit it, Billy Bragg summed up my feeling for Joe and the Clash beautifully.<P>"Within the Clash, Joe was the political engine of the band, and without Joe there's no political Clash, and without the Clash the political edge of punk would have been dulled"<P>That's what I was also trying to say on a previous topic about punk.

ggw

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2002, 11:44:00 am »
Very sad news.

Henry Dark

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2002, 11:45:00 am »
Hard to believe Shane McGowan outlived Joe Strummer. Bummer.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2002, 11:51:00 am »
i don't know what to say.  that's just terrible news.
OU812

Skaboss

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2002, 12:15:00 pm »
I just poured some 40oz on the curb...<P>Damn, I just saw the guy a while back too.

paige

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2002, 12:25:00 pm »
wow. that is so terrible.  

jadetree

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2002, 12:40:00 pm »
This really is shocking.

mankie

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2002, 01:19:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Hard to believe Shane McGowan outlived Joe Strummer. Bummer.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Or even worse...you did!