Author Topic: Please build more roads......  (Read 6413 times)

markie

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Please build more roads......
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 10:17:00 am »
as usual maryland and virginia can't work together,  building another bridge across the potomac would make more sense.
T.Rex

jkeisenh

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
i believe the research on the beltway shows that up to a capacity of 24 lanes (12 each direction), it's a situation where the lanes will basically be full the minute they're built. In other words, to end gridlock, you'd need a 24 lane beltway.

yup, let's just pave the entire region.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:26:00 am »
or realize that not everyone works in the district and can or wants to live near where they work.  i'm all for mass transport but for me to metro to work it takes 75 minutes one way, which adds an hour extra then driving both ways.  come up with an effective bus system that uses the beltway with connections that arrive more frequently than 30 minutes.
T.Rex

jkeisenh

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:29:00 am »
ok, ok... i wasn't being argumentative.  i'm just stating the facts, sir.  i'm not falling into this trap again.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
Oh no, dont get chimbly started on the roads again!!!!

I agree with Kosmo. Perhaps we should be thinking of more metro lines, and more stops and so on. Or more buses to take you to Metro. whatever.

Also, I do like this plan because its not funded by state money (like another Metro line would be) so if you dont use it , you dont pay for it. I like that business!

And finally, since i dont live in VA or drive on the Capital Beltway that often, anything that alleviates a 4 1/2 hour drive from Baltimore to Fredericksburg on a SUNDAY FREAKING NIGHT is ok with me.

i think VA should ration cars out, personally. there are just too many of em.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  ok, ok... i wasn't being argumentative.  i'm just stating the facts, sir.  i'm not falling into this trap again.
i don't think your being argumentative, all i'm saying is that what i really need is helicopter.... because it all about me dammit
T.Rex

jkeisenh

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam3:
  Also, I do like this plan because its not funded by state money (like another Metro line would be) so if you dont use it , you dont pay for it. I like that business!

sorry, guys, can't help but point this one out.  *point* *point*
 Many people share this point of view, and understandably.  However, this thinking overlooks the public good done by public transportation-- the reduced traffic easing travel for car drivers, the reduced pollution, the increased accessibility of a low-wage work force to jobs, etc.  Thus, some people would argue, since it offers benefits to the general public, the general public really aught to pay a share that equals the benefits they gain.

Mongo

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
It's 2005 for fuck sake.  We should all be commuting via jet packs by now.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 11:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Mongo:
  It's 2005 for fuck sake.  We should all be commuting via jet packs by now.
i concur!!!!  it's a shame apple came up with the ipod instead   :p
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 11:41:00 am »
   However, this thinking overlooks the public good done by public transportation-- the reduced traffic easing travel for car drivers, the reduced pollution, the increased accessibility of a low-wage work force to jobs, etc.  
what thinking are you referring to , the thinking that toll lanes on the beltway should be paid for by the people that use them? I am sure you dont want to pay for them.

distance

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 11:43:00 am »
what i'd really rather see is an express highway that goes from say... just past quantico to a few miles north of dc in MD... with absolutely NO exits between the start and the finish.  that way those of us that are trying to get past dc don't have to deal with beltway traffic (the locals getting out of town) and won't have to spend 5.5 hours making a 150 mile trip.
 it sucks to have a trip take an extra 1+ hours just because of backup within a <20mile span that's there basically every day.

edbert

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
The problem is too many people! I'm always disturbed when I hear talk about declining birthrates in Canada and Europe as if it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed with massive immigration. What's wrong with having fewer people? A third or so of the US current population would be a good number; more in balance with resources and the amount of space.  We should allow a declining birthrate here to reduce population instead of paving over the whole country

jkeisenh

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 11:51:00 am »
I think the ideal solution is commuting on horseback.  no need for roads.

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
  I think the ideal solution is commuting on horseback.  no need for roads.
i bet the horses would oppose you on that issue.