Author Topic: 930 F St  (Read 21040 times)

edbert

930 F St
« on: April 29, 2005, 11:50:00 am »
I walked past there on Sunday and it looks pretty coolio right now- the tall facade only from the old 930 ("Atlantic") building is being held in place by some elaborate scaffolding and from a distance it looks like a good wind would take it down.  I forgot how elegant the front of the building was... very cool that they're keeping it

Bags

Re: 930 F St
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
When they started developing that into condos, I wanted to live there SO badly.  How cool, to LIVE at 930 F???  Hot damn.  But I think they'll be way too pricey.  I would if I could.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 12:07:00 pm »
Just as long as they got rid of the rats and the smell. I'd be a little depressed imagining all those great shows and knowing that my living room was in the same space/area. I'll never forget seeing Paw when they set the drums and guitar on fire, or when Helmet played and people were stumbling away like they were coming out of battle.

filthypit

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 12:12:00 pm »
...or when lux interior exposed his manhood to the masses... (very impressive)

...or the night we got chased back to our car by 7-8 young black males...

...or the night the old fucker in a polyester suit pulled a gun on us because we wouldn't go back to his hotel with him...

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
Or the night I was backstage and had to leave through the back and I was literally dodging rats. I stepped on 2 that were dead...I literally have never seen so many rats in my life. It reminded me of the scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc or whatever it was.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
<sniff>  You guys are gettin' me all misty.

God I miss that place.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:01:00 pm »
I miss it too, and those are all GOOD memories (okay, maybe not the being chased down memory) and all the more reason I'd want to live there.  God bless the smelly back bar!    ;)

edbert

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
I remember "3 Bands 3 Bucks"

MaLo

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »
i went to the old club once when i was about 15...my friends and i took the metro in, got to the club about 6:30, went to popeyes (we thought the walk up window was cool), got into the club, had a soda..and then left around 830pm because my friend had a 930 weeknight curfew..haha..i think we saw like 2 songs from the opening act

my clothes smelled like ass the next day

but man did i think i was cool

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 12:39:00 am »
So, it's like fuck. I keep wondering to myself if this goddamned city is getting meaner, or if it's just me that's getting older. You see, I'm normally a pretty objective type of guy, or I like to think of myself that way anyhow, and I don't like to blame the world for my own problems. But I can't help wonder if things really have gotten worse.

I think perhaps it's a little of both. I think back to when I was fifteen, just a dumb suburban kid in the city for the first time. I knew nothing of it, but I was not scared; it seemed a whole new world to open up and explore. What was perhaps my first encounter with an entirely different culture was at the 9:30 club, which in those days nobody knew about. Well, maybe a few people. I still remember the bands that played. The Faith. Minor Threat.  None of it sounded like music to me, because it was like nothing I had ever heard before. I had nothing to compare it to. That was the way a lot of things were to be that summer. I couldn't tell if I liked any of it, because I had nothing with which to compare it.

I can't remember which impressed me more - the bands, or the city outside. F Street seemed like fucking New York. Now that's something that's definitely changed. That's something I can't blame on myself. In those days, there were people everywhere, weird little shops everywhere, music coming from everywhere; boom boxes, stores, cars, everywhere, all massing into one incomprehensible jumble in which all was lost but the pounding heartbeat of a city very much alive, accented by jackhammers and car horns. Now there are more Oliver Carr signs than people. Until that time I had thought of Washington the way most outsiders see it: a fairly lame city with a few monuments and a lot of tourists. But one must be forgiving of ignorance.

I think I fell in love with the city that day. Yeah, that was the day. From the minute we parked in that graffiti-strewn parking lot on 9th Street. "Human Meat," said the wall in front of us. Love at first sight.

Then there was a little club on 9th Street, N.W. called Oscar's Eye. I saw a band there called Wurmbaby. So did a few other people. Not many. Not many remember Oscar's Eye, either - and those that do tend to think of it as a record album rather than a club. But I digress. In the middle of the room was a streetlamp, which seemed completely out of proportion both to the room and to what a streetlamp should be. Perhaps it would've looked better on a street. Anyway, I don't lose any sleep over that detail. Not any more, at least. Better than the lamp and the band (which was quite good) was the fact that in the back of the club, which was actually just a big room with a makeshift stage on one end of it, was a window, and outside the window was a fire escape. We ("we" being myself, Upchuck, and a couple of other folks) naturally climbed out the window, into the warm Washington night.

Now that's another thing I've always loved about this city. The way the summer nights just wrap themselves around you, sort of the same feeling as being smothered in the bosom of a well-endowed woman. Or perhaps being wrapped in a warm wet towel, but that's not nearly as much fun, is it? Oh, never mind. You know what I mean.

There I go again, off on a tangent. Anyway, up the fire escape we went, onto the rooftop of this building on 9th Street, N.W. I felt like a god as I surveyed the city around me, the Capitol to the east, all lit up, various parking lots below. A couple of people in the parking lot mistook us for drug dealers. "Yo man, send some down!" The whole roof, like any good roof should, possessed the heavenly smell of tar. Nothing like a rooftop in the summertime. Nothing. Anyway, so we talked up there for what seemed like hours, while the Capitol shimmered in the east and the stars twinkled in the sky. In due time someone found an old rusty paint can and we spray painted our thoughts up there on the crumbly limestone side of the building next door, for all the world to see ("Rick Springfield roolz").  Now I'm not usually the vandalism type, you understand, small stuff, OK, but not spraypainting. Not because of any ethical considerations, but because I was a little timid about getting caught. I didn't worry this time because I knew something special about the particular building in question and about the one we were on. But I'll get to that.

A girl recently told me she had sex on the roof of d.c. space amidst a lot of broken glass and scampering rats, and it sort of brought old memories back. Not of sex, just the rooftop.

Anyway, we came back in. End of that particular episode, except I had to drive a certain character who shall be named here only as the European Diskoman back home to suburbia, which is where I lived too, so it was cool. Here we were at two in the morning, and we got lost. I got the whole quadrant thing confused, and couldn't figure out which way to go. In our wanderings, we saw: hookers plying their trade ("need a girlfriend?" the Diskoman asked me); people roller skating; a 17th Street that looked like no 17th Street I had ever seen before; and countless other oddities. But we made it home. A week later, those buildings were demolished. That's what I was talking about with the graffiti thing. Pity. I think the parking lots are still there. It's right near the FBI Building, if you want to go look.

Also still there is a sad broken relic of that same time. Right around the corner, behind a chain link fence, was a vibrant green neon sculpture against a brick wall. It was some kind of PEPCO thing. Just a bright green squiggle, glowing in the night. No purpose other than to be there. I think that's what I liked about it... sort of the same appeal as a stoplight changing in the middle of the night when there's no traffic. Except even better than that. Anyway, just a few years later, I went by there, and although I had forgotten all about it, I suddenly remembered as I passed a chain link fence. "Isn't that where the neon sculpture was?" I thought. Yeah, it's still there. Broken now, though. You can barely see it, it blends in with the wall and is covered with weeds. So anyway, it seems that things like this just don't seem to happen as much anymore, or mean as much when they do. And I do think it's part me. You see, when you're 15 and when you're 25 are two different things entirely. At 15 you feel just enough independence to be tantalized by it, and the world seems to be waiting for you, and you can't stand it and you strain against all the things that are holding you back. And you can't wait to be free. By 25 you've realized that freedom is mostly an illusion. I hate to admit it. That's why I hated that song "I'm an Adult Now" so much. He was admitting it. I hate that. But anyway, it's for the most part too true.

Then there's the apple theory. You see a big red apple, and you can't wait to bite into it. There's nothing quite like the exquisite pleasure of sinking your teeth into its rosy perfection; to feel the resistance as your teeth press against the skin, and then to feel it give away as you press still harder, and you sink in - deeper, deeper - and the juice of the apple wells up into your mouth, bubbling around your teeth as you sink in deeper, and the first tantalizing drops hit your tongue. Your jaws clench, and you rip away at the flesh, tearing it away from the apple and into your mouth where you hungrily devour it, leaving a glistening green cavity in the formerly unbroken surface of the violated fruit. It's incredible, a culinary rush of epic proportions, but it's all downhill from there; the taste is still good, but from then on you're mostly eating just more and more green mush. The surface tension has been broken. Life is like that too. It has its good moments, and its bad, but there's nothing quite like the first few bites ever again.

So is it me, or is it the world? After all that, you'd think it's gotta be me. But F Street is being developed, the neon sculpture is broken, Oscar's Eye is gone. I feel like I fell in love, and then I got married. And now the doldrums have settled in. Is it time to work on this marriage, or find a new girl? A new apple?

Hell if I know.
_\|/_

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 06:58:00 am »
Great read.....and I could really relate to some of it. I moved to DC in 1985 aged 25. I liked the city from day one, but it never seemed as though it was a 'city' if you know what I mean. Whenever I mentioned that to people they would take it as a put down of DC, and it wasn't meant that way at all. Of course, I had never really ventured out of the main touristie bits, and Georgetown was the only place that was mentioned when I asked where to go for a night out in DC, although in hindsight I can now blame that on the preppie-yuppie crowd that was my then wifes circle of friends. Coming from Manchester it was just too clean and too, well, organized. There never seemed to be people buzzing around the typical 'greasy spoon' takeaway all trying to flag down the same taxi while all singing 'tainted love' at 3am etc.

One year, my then-wife and myself went to New York for a weekend just before christmas. It was my first time in New York. Looking back, that weekend was the beginning of the end of my marraige to that woman. It was that weekend that I realized I was losing my identity in that marraige and within her circle of friends. I felt more comfortable and at home in New York after two hours than I had in suburban Maryland after three years.

In 1989 I went to see The Who at RFK with a couple of friends (English, not the yuppies)...great show, even though I wouldn't consider myself a Who fan. As always, the metro was a complete clusterfuck at RFK so we decided to walk up the road to the next metro stop. For the first time I saw the 'city' part of DC...Benning Road. As we were walking up Benning Road a Jeep Cherokee pulled up besides us. The occupant was a very large muscular black bloke. He flashed  his badge .... NYPD ... and said "get in" I looked at his tags and they were NY tags so I asked to see his badge again and he passed it to me. When I was comfortable he was who he said he was we did as he asked being law abiding citizens, and the first thing he said to us was, "What the fuck are you doing in this part of town?"  We explained about the metro situation and just said, "Look, I'm here visiting my sister for the weekend. I don't walk around here at night, even I don't belong and they know it" For good or bad, it was then I realized that DC is a real city after all. Our saviour drove us all the way to Foggy Bottom to get our train.

It was after that incident that I began to head into DC often and explore the other parts of town that my ex had always put out of bounds, because that's were "the blacks" hang out. She was born and bred in Silver Spring and I had seen more of DC in 5 years than she had in her lifetime.

I became good friends with a bloke I worked with. He was  a black (his color is relevant to my story)fellow from Newark NJ. We would usually go out on Fridays after work and hang out at his locals, seeing as he was living in town and not the burbs like myself. It was then that I was subject to racism in America. There would be many times my face was the only white face in the bar. It didn't bother me as much as it bothered some of the other patrons. Reggie would just tell me to ignore them, I'm with him so they'll get over it, but some didn't. Some would even say to him in my presence, stuff like, "what you doing bringing whitey in here" One time I asked why he had a problem with me being in the bar and was told, "It's starts with just one" (Haven't we heard that elsewhere?) Anyway, Reggie moved back to Newark and that was the end of that.

I don't believe in racism in the typical sense of the word.....it's more "unfamilarism" if you ask me. and has very little to do with skin colour. It's seems society takes an instant dislike to unfamiliar people moving into their 'territory' for want of a better word. I've been in Ireland now for about 7 months and have been subjected to "racism" on numerous occasions in the workplace, especially out here in the country. Foreigners are moving to Ireland in droves, and 'racism' is becoming quite a problem. They hate the English because we're English, and the black & tans back in 1928 or whenever the hell it was. They hate the Polish and Turks because they're taking all the labouring jobs (that the Irish don't want during the Celtic tiger anyway) they hate the Romanians because they come over and spend all day begging on the streets, and they hate the Nigerians because they come over illegally then don't respect Irish laws when they get here. Now, out of all those nationalities the Irish seem to dislike, only one set have black faces, but they seem to dislike them equally. They resent all these foreigners coming over now the economy and way of life is great and they want it all to themselves. When I remind them that when things were terrible in Ireland, the Irish were moving to foreign lands in their droves so it's just payback time, and they could be gracious hosts, unlike their hosts in years gone by. It's just human nature though....no, not human nature, nature. Can you imagine a pack of wolves welcoming a labrador into their pack? Or a pigeon letting a sparrow share it's nest? The whole animal kingdom is racist.

After 7 months I don't miss American one iota. (and it doesn't miss me I know) because when all said and done, Cork may as well be DC in many respects. It's the people that make a city what it is.  You could put as many skyscrapers in DC as you want, but would it become another NY? Not a chance. It's NY'ers that make NY what it is, and DC people aren't NY people. Not better, not worse...just different. I can tell a Dub (Dubiner) already....and I mean apart from the accent, which is not unlike the sound of finger nails scraping down a blackboard. They have that air of 'my shit doesn't stink' like natives of just about any capital city. London, Paris, DC, Dublin.....

Back to the old 930 F St. The old club is becoming condo's, the demolition crews are only destroying bricks and mortar, not memories, but that's just progress............or is it?

• my blog
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 08:43:00 am »
Mankie, I was at that show at RFK in 1989.  That was a great show...  afterwards, my girlfrind stole a guard's chair at one of the gates with a Who logo on it.  We did the same thing with the Metro, although we walked west along East Capitol Street, a decidedly less risky endeavour.

I wonder if the 930 building condos will be filled with ex punksters who've gotten rich and complacent... or will it be people who know nothing of that place's history?
_\|/_

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 09:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:

I wonder if the 930 building condos will be filled with ex punksters who've gotten rich and complacent... or will it be people who know nothing of that place's history?
Sadly, I fear the latter.  :(

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
 [/qb]
Sadly, I fear the latter.   :(  [/b][/QUOTE]

Like Bags, I'd be sorely tempted to live there if not for the likely price.  But that's sort of like trying to buy a memory, the building and everything else around it has totally changed.

Beyond the club, the whole building was cool... I used to work as a bike courier, and to get to the upstairs offices you had to take this huge old elevator which required an elevator operator; to call the elevator you'd ring a bell!

And next door was a single-room occupancy tenement building... there was an art gallery there which lasted about a week, and later an equally short-lived, and probably illegal, club called Botswana hosted obscure bands such as New Carrolton which would never get gigs next door.
_\|/_

green door

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dr. Doom:(:

So is it me, or is it the world? After all that, you'd think it's gotta be me. But F Street is being developed, the neon sculpture is broken, Oscar's Eye is gone. I feel like I fell in love, and then I got married. And now the doldrums have settled in. Is it time to work on this marriage, or find a new girl? A new apple?

Hell if I know.
It's you. If you were 15 today, the world would seem fresh again, with your entire future in front of you.