Author Topic: 930 F St  (Read 21698 times)

ahava

Re: 930 F St
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2005, 04:48:00 pm »
Okay -- so it's first come, first served ... do you cats really think it'll be a snap to get in? I'd imagined there would be a line snaking around the city starting early in the day. Tips on how early I should get there if I want to get in?

SOOO excited they interviewed members of Lucy Brown for the documentary ... they were so freakin' amazing.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2005, 06:27:00 am »
Originally posted by ahava:
  Okay -- so it's first come, first served ... do you cats really think it'll be a snap to get in? I'd imagined there would be a line snaking around the city starting early in the day. Tips on how early I should get there if I want to get in?
as of 6am, when i left, there are exactly zero people in line.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2005, 07:12:00 am »
Originally posted by ahava:

SOOO excited they interviewed members of Lucy Brown for the documentary ... they were so freakin' amazing.
you're kidding right?

Mainstream HFSrock = line around the block

cool homage to a key part of DC music history = 50-100 geezers
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2005, 11:24:00 pm »
well there were more than 50-100 geezers, but should have been a much  better turnout!

thanks for the cool 9:30:25 t-shirt!

the documentary was very well done.  had only been to the 9:30 F street once to see X acoustic so was interested in learning more about it's history..
 http://www.930fstreet.com/

the slickee boys were a ace way to cap the evening off...  another band in their 40s putting the youngin's in their place.  

the special guest on drums was a nice suprise...
T.Rex

redsock

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2005, 12:01:00 am »
I thought the movie was very well done. Onlt saw three shows at the old club, but i do remember entering that long hall-way my freshman year of colelge, having never really been to see a concert in the "big city." It was a very cool experience for me. I think I saw Edsel. Could have been worse I suppose.

The Slickees in their 40's. No way, must be older than that. I missed the guest drummer, do tell!

Bags

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2005, 12:03:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  well there were more than 50-100 geezers, but should have been a much  better turnout!

thanks for the cool 9:30:25 t-shirt!

the documentary was very well done.  had only been to the 9:30 F street once to see X acoustic so was interested in learning more about it's history..
   http://www.930fstreet.com/  

the slickee boys were a ace way to cap the evening off...  another band in their 40s putting the youngin's in their place.  

the special guest on drums was a nice suprise...
:(  

I'm incredibly sad...a friend had a BBQ, it was her first in her new place, I was an 'anchor' person for her, I couldn't leave her hanging...I never got by the club (though I'm on my way out to Avalanche now...).  I WANNA t-shirt!  I went to the old club about 100 times....  Okay, no more crying for me.  Though I DO NOT want to know who the special guest drummer was......I know I woulda had a blast, just enjoying the club and the vibe and the fun.....

• my blog
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2005, 03:27:00 am »
If I weren't in a galaxy far, far away, I would have been there come high water or hell!

I don't often say this, but sometimes I wish I were just a bit older so that I could've more fully experienced the club in its true heydey.  I have fond memories of hanging out there as a teenager, with a mostly straight-edge crowd, but it was really more of a place to see bands and then leave.  Being a couple of years older and hanging out with all the artists, junkies, poseurs, and ne'er-do-wells at the back bar would've been a much more interesting experience.

My Blog
_\|/_

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2005, 09:12:00 am »
Thanks to Seth, the film makers, The Slickees and everyone involved.  What a fun night.  The t-shirts were a great surprise.  The Slickee Boys were the party they always are.  It was great to see so many geezers dancing by the end of the night.  Kudos to the guest drummer. He should play out more often.   :D    And congrats to thatguy, who probably got the biggest round of applause when he  turned up in the movie.

My apologies to Jaguar for not immediately recognizing her at the end of the evening.  I was more than a bit drunk by that point.  Good seeing kosmo, as always.

Happy Anniversary 9:30.

eltee

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
Thanks 9:30!!! Loved the movie and rock night at the club. Thanks for the t-shirt! Everyone was having a great time. Love the film - brought back some memories...the hall, the smell (so that's what it was!), the POLE. Thanks again to the best damn club around.

I looked for you Bags...Nice to see you Kosmo...it was dark so I didn't see you redsock,  but didn't know to look for you.

I guessed there might be an appearance from a special drummer...sorry I missed it...I headed off to Iota mid-way through Slickee's...Caught Richard Buckner - very cool show.

stovebywhale

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
who was the guest drummer.  I missed that part.
 great night indeed.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
I'd love to see the DJ list from last night.  I heard lots of good stuff...Gray Matter, 9353, Made For TV...  I don't think I've heard that "I'm Afraid of the Russians" song in over 15 years.  Well done.

Jaguär

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Hey Seth, great party!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and danced my little ass off through the entire Slickee set. It was so good seeing them again after all of these years and them sounding as good as ever.

Loved the film, the DJ set, the Slickees, the t-shirt, the crowd,.....everything! Everyone was so attentive and just the right amount of open enthusaism and consideration all the way around. Even the young moshers, who probably weren't even a glimmer in their parents' eyes 25 years ago (who really kind of surprised and delighted me by being there), were the gentlest and most considerate moshers I've ever encountered in my life. I didn't even care that I was right there with them.

Seth, I'm fully convinced that the Fates were watching out for you concerning the band. You couldn't have booked a better or more appropriate band for this event! Damn, but they rock!!! The newbies who didn't bother have no clue whatsoever what they missed.

Seth, thanks not only for last night but the past 25 fucking fantastic years!   :D

Bags

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2005, 11:22:00 pm »
So was it a sellout...did it sell out quickly if so, etc., etc.

• my blog
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2005, 06:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  I'd love to see the DJ list from last night.  I heard lots of good stuff...Gray Matter, 9353, Made For TV...  I don't think I've heard that "I'm Afraid of the Russians" song in over 15 years.  Well done.
oh man...
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2005, 08:15:00 am »
no sellout the club was only about 1/3 full... and i see evil kosmo is sneaking things in again...  Seth sat in on drums for one song. his vagueness was intentional and i will buy bags a drink for any stress caused.  i was kinda hoping based on the turnout that a very special "suprise at the club" would appear, but knowing my luck it would have been coldplay or interpol     :D
T.Rex