Author Topic: DC Real Estate  (Read 2082 times)

Jaguär

DC Real Estate
« on: July 07, 2005, 12:21:00 am »
You all like to quibble about this stuff. Personally, I find it sad.

Last Known Active Farm Inside Beltway Sold

Tue Jul 5, 7:08 PM ET

The last known working farm inside the Capital Beltway has been sold to a North Carolina developer planning to build a strip mall.

The 35-acre Prince George's farm has been in Duane Dickerson's family since the 1880s. But the 62-year-old said he is leaving because of a lack of profitability, along with increased population and increased crime inside the Beltway â?? a freeway that encircles the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area.

"This used to be the country and years ago even the family name was on the old road maps, the area was so sparse," Dickerson told The Washington Post. "This was all farms â?? close to D.C., but it was all farms."

Dickerson said he's found stolen cars torched and abandoned on his property. One of his llamas was shot and killed, and one of his horses was left with a 9-inch cut across its neck, he said. Last month the barn his father built in 1939 was burned down.

Still, Dickerson hasn't given up on farming entirely. He is packing his possessions onto tractor-trailers and moving to a 22-acre farm he bought in Emmitsburg, about 13 miles south of Gettysburg, Pa.

Many family owned farms still exist just a few miles beyond the Beltway, but the sale of the Dickerson property has piqued some local nostalgia for a time when the District was surrounded by countryside.

"It's sad in a way to see the passing of an era," said M.H. Jim Estepp, a former Prince George's County Council member who went to high school with Dickerson and rode horses on the farm.

walkonby

Re: DC Real Estate
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 01:13:00 am »
sniff . . . i think i need a taco.

Arthwys

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 02:12:00 am »
I'm actually rather suprised it hasn't happened sooner that this.  But all in all, things aren't really all that bleak.  My family moved out to Westminster when I was young, and pretty much grew up there.  It's only about 1 hr. 20 min. away from DC, but the entire county is quite rural.  Most of the land between towns (yes there is actually loads of open land between towns) is thousands upon thousands of acres of farmland.  Mostly corn or cattle.  Sizable tracts of woodland abound, and there is a single mile-long stretch of interstate in the whole county (70 as it clips the southwest corner near mt. airy).  Urban sprawl is terrible, yes, but it can only go so far.  I've often marveled at how different things can be within such short driving distance of each other.  It's even closer to Baltimore than DC too.
Emrys

Bags

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 12:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  Urban sprawl is terrible, yes, but it can only go so far.  I've often marveled at how different things can be within such short driving distance of each other.  It's even closer to Baltimore than DC too.
And, the urban sprawl is turning in on itself -- parts of the city, deep inside the city, are changing over and forcing residents of years to move on.  Where do they go?  Man, I don't know.  I'm last to talk, though -- I just moved into a newly 'emerged' neighborhood myself.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
   My family moved out to Westminster when I was young, and pretty much grew up there.  
no crap? my girlfriend is from Westminster. I know many many Carroll Countians!  did you go to Westminster HS?

ggw

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  And, the urban sprawl is turning in on itself -- parts of the city, deep inside the city, are changing over and forcing residents of years to move on.  Where do they go?  Man, I don't know.  I'm last to talk, though -- I just moved into a newly 'emerged' neighborhood myself.
"Everyone knows gentrification uproots the urban poor with higher rents, higher taxes and $4 lattes. It's the lament of community organizers, the theme of the 2004 film Barbershop 2 and the guilty assumption of the yuppies moving in.

But everyone may be wrong, according to Lance Freeman, an assistant professor of urban planning at Columbia University.

In an article last month in Urban Affairs Review, Freeman reports the results of his national study of gentrification â?? the movement of upscale (mostly white) settlers into rundown (mostly minority) neighborhoods.

His conclusion: Gentrification drives comparatively few low-income residents from their homes. Although some are forced to move by rising costs, there isn't much more displacement in gentrifying neighborhoods than in non-gentrifying ones.

In a separate study of New York City published last year, Freeman and a colleague concluded that living in a gentrifying neighborhood there actually made it less likely a poor resident would move â?? a finding similar to that of a 2001 study of Boston by Duke University economist Jacob Vigdor."

Full Article

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
i like this theory, ggw.  

in my neighborhood (a rundown minority/white trash neighborhood) there are many houses being rehabbed (9 on my block alone) but with 30% of the houses in my neighborhood abandoned, there is plenty of places to fix up w/o having to kick people out of their houses.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 04:23:00 pm »
GGW, I'd love it if that's the case.  I have a cousin who's an advocate for affordable housing nationally, and he would disagree.  When property tax rates increase two and three-fold, folks can't stay in a place, sometimes even if they own it outright.

This isn't my area, and I am definitely one of the guilt-laden yuppies, so I'm open to information.  But look, I would have stayed in my tony Woodley Park neighborhood if I could afford it, but that's for the freakin' landed gentry these days!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
 This isn't my area, and I am definitely one of the guilt-laden yuppies, so I'm open to information.  But look, I would have stayed in my tony Woodley Park neighborhood if I could afford it, but that's for the freakin' landed gentry these days!
like me!! i move there this month!

you can call me sir hoya from here on out
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 05:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

like me!! i move there this month!

you can call me sir hoya from here on out [/b]
Congrats -- it's a lovely neighborhood.  I was there for 12 years, but in order to own I had to move...

Arthwys

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 05:13:00 am »
[/qb][/QUOTE]no crap? my girlfriend is from Westminster. I know many many Carroll Countians!  did you go to Westminster HS? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Actually, yeah, graduated from there in 2000.  Was quite happy to get out of hickville and into the DC metro area.
Emrys

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 07:56:00 pm »
Coming from a completely different perspective, to me, Westminster has become extremely overdeveloped. When I drive through the area now, I'm completely overwhelmed with all of the urban sprawl. It's not at all the nice farmland country that I remember it being and loved it so much for.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 08:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Coming from a completely different perspective, to me, Westminster has become extremely overdeveloped. When I drive through the area now, I'm completely overwhelmed with all of the urban sprawl. It's not at all the nice farmland country that I remember it being and loved it so much for.
Yes, Westminster was quite a funny example. Home of the chain restaurant, cookie cutter houses and endless NASCAR fans. Plastic suburbia at it's finest.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 08:08:00 am »
Within my lifetime, I can remebmer when Bethesda had  enclaves of honest-to-god rednecks.
_\|/_