Author Topic: Bo Didley  (Read 2135 times)

tomsomebody

Bo Didley
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »
I saw Bo, must have been in the 80's at the old club.  I remember he had relatives from the DC area "playing" with him that night.  If memory serves me correctly, he openbed for someone.  Can anyone remember who that was?

RIP Bo!

hutch

Re: Bo Didley
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »
at least spell the man's name correctly..

Its DIDDLEY.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »
He played the old club with the Chesterfield Kings, and if memory serves right the Kings backed him up for his set.

RIP to an all time great.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
I tried to Google this question about Bo Diddley's history with the club, because I seem to remember that too, but all I found was this interesting tidbit:

We had a place called the 930 club and every band that came from New York or England came down to DC because of the 930, but of course, no one was there. We were that scene, and right on the heels of that Punk and New Wave scene came the Hardcore scene. Hardcore comes out of LA, but DC has a lot to do with it. The big band was Minor Threat, and there was Discord Records. That's where a lot of this movement started. I was lucky to be there during that time. Here, I was just a Punk kid, I was from New Jersey, I used to come to New York on the weekends with my New Wave girlfriend and see shows at CBs or Irving Plaza, Max's even, a little bit. A lot of people talked about the glory days of New York Punk, it definitely was there. I was not there in 1977. I was showing up at shows in about 1979, I was young, and everyone told us that we had missed it all, that it was over, that we missed it. I remember I saw the Clash's first American show. It was at the Palladium with Bo Diddley and the Cramps. A mind boggling show. What I remember about that show was the Clash were really into having rap musicians and a lot of that kind of stuff opened their shows. I give the Clash a lot of credit for that retrospectively, but the crowd did not like that. It's not like Curtis Blow got on the stage and everyone thought it was cool. No, people would throw bottles at him and yell nigger and whatevers I think it was The Clash's way of teaching people, I think they really believed that. I believed in the Clash for a long time. I think that they believed they were changing the world in their own way. I don't know how much they accomplished, musically the whole crossover of black & white was pushed by guys like that so I guess it's very important. I saw a lot of the shows.
_\|/_

tomsomebody

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:53:00 am »
Thanks for everyones help!  I think it was the Chesterfield Kings show and I also think your right about them backing him up. Somehow, some of his family from the area were involved.  One or two might have also been in the band or maybe I just met them in the crowd.  Any clue on the year?

Sorry about the misspelling!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:37:00 am »
gosh..1986?

attache

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:49:00 am »
Bo used to live in Mt. Pleasant.

walkonby