Author Topic: Dinosaur Jr  (Read 8818 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Dinosaur Jr
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2005, 12:48:00 pm »
this is going to be a really strange lineup in central park:

Dinosaur Jr.
 Broken Social Scene
 Radio 4
 Magik Markers

is magik markers worth sitting through radio 4?  i'm very inclined to show up after that crap goes off ...
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2005, 12:51:00 pm »
simmer down pal. (not that you were necessarily talking to me, though i assume you kind of were)

i like a  lot  of psych music. and am usually a fan of that stuff. they are/were quite boring live, and that girl needs to go.

the rest of em may just be able to form a real band.

and dont get all wet over peoples opinions. and dont be afraid to state your own either!

distance

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2005, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  by the way, i thought last night was far superior to norfolk. every band sounded more inspired, the sound was better, and the vibe at the club seemed a bit more electric to me.
the sound is always better @ 930 than at the norva.  i've seen several bands at both.  the drunk redneck ratio is always higher at the norva too.

re: bardo pond.  i absolutely hated them the first time i saw them.  the second time i saw them i completely changed my mind.  i wasn't really all taht into the two sets this year, though.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2005, 12:54:00 pm »
  actually, you couldn't be more wrong and ignorant of bardo pond. image and lack of ability have NOTHING to do whatsoever with that band. you should argue that point to gerard cosloy and chris lombardi of matador who signed them in 1996 and released four of their records and are still huge supporters. or perhaps you should argue your points with sonic youth, mogwai, dinosaur jr, and godspeed you black emperor, all of whom personally asked them to open for them. but since you can play flute as well as isobel, i'll let you off the hook since you're clearly affecting me with your epic psychedelia.

another classic example of a music "fan" who confuses his opinion with gospel as narrow-minded preconception. if you don't like it fine; textured, drony, sludgy psychedelia isn't for everybody. but dismissing them as hacks who decided to pick up instruments last week just to form a "cool" band just shows that you need to do your homework a little more. you have no idea how well-respected bardo pond has been since they've been doing this music since 1992.

i dislike a lot of music, especially a lot of the crap people lose their shit over on this board, but i would never say something so stupid as "they clearly decided to form a band so they can jam and get some hot chick to sing to people can look at her." that just makes you sound like an out-of-touch fifty your old grump. sorry.
I must have missed the part where I "confuse[d] [my] opinion with gospel as narrow-minded preconception." I don't recall going, "they were horrid, and anyone who disagrees is a fool" or anything of that nature. They sucked, in my opinion, and the girl was the worst part of the band. Her singing was awful, her instrumentation sounded like a 6th grader, and everyone who came with me literally had a headache after their set.

You're more then welcome to like them, whatever, doesn't bother me. But the fact they've been around since 1992 and were on matador records (both of which facts I knew before you posted) doesn't make them great or even good, and the fact that you'd even feel the need to bring it up only shows how ridiculous your retort is. As infantile as "they suck... no they don't... yes they do" may seem, it makes alot more sense then "they suck... they've been around since 1992" does.

sonickteam2

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
I wanted to scream "Play Aqualung" when she had that flute.

and heres a bit of advice: dont jump around and try to play the violin, it not only sounds bad, it makkes you look like a fool.

tobyd

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2005, 01:18:00 pm »
I was annoyed by the crass dissing of Bardo Pond too.  Those guys definitely are in it for the music and I know they've been blowing minds for years.  I love the fact that they are taking risks and improvising heavily.  For that reason, they lose a lot of people.  It pays to LISTEN close to bands like that.  I hope to see them again soon.  Maybe at the Warehouse???

Cheers,
 Toby

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
  I wanted to scream "Play Aqualung" when she had that flute.

Some people at the NorVa show were merciless. "Get off the stage" and "rubbish" were heard several times. I don't have the heart to yell at bands (unless it's in jest) though, so I felt bad even though I shared the sentiments.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2005, 01:31:00 pm »
  but since you can play flute as well as isobel, i'll let you off the hook since you're clearly affecting me with your epic psychedelia.

Classic

anarchist

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
left bardo pond guitarist broke the same string on 2 guitars.  he also had a hard time putting/keeping his guitar strap on.  this kept the other members of the band waiting between songs.  how loud was dino jr?  where i was between the show and first encore when jm's guitar was left in feedback, everyone near me had their fingers in their ears.  it was so loud that no one clapped for the encore.
 the male bouncer with almost full arm tats and a beard made people put out their cigarettes as soon as they lit them during dino jr's set.  much appreciated.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
   how loud was dino jr?  where i was between the show and first encore when jm's guitar was left in feedback, everyone near me had their fingers in their ears.  it was so loud that no one clapped for the encore.
This is the only negative thing I have to say about the whole evening.  Bringing J's guitar back on stage for the sole purpose of having a roadie blast insanely loud feedback for 3-4 minutes was ridiculous.  People who were already wearing earplugs were holding their hands over their ears.  People were leaving because the feedback was just painful to sit through.  You're loud.  We get it. Enough already.

Other than that feedback stunt, I thought the show was fantastic.  The band sounded great.  The crowd in my area was pretty cool and having a good time.  Definitely a fun night.

Captain Jack

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005, 03:21:00 pm »
I caught the last 10 minutes of Bardo Pond after some sweet bacon chili dogs at Five Guys on Georgia avenue. What I saw was a sweet psych-y, pretty drone, kinda reminded me of Growing with some mild MBV, I liked it more than the mp3s I heard.

What was the deal with the lights out so the crowd could listen to a whole Dead Meadow song for Dinosaur played?

Tight set from Dinosaur though. I had thought the J. would have had an even bigger guitar set up; I thought he had at least 8 cabs but counted 4, not that it wasn't loud enough though. I thought Eyehategod was going to be the loudest show of the summer, but J. has now claimed that spot.

There was a dude with a digital camera taping right in front of J. the whole time, if anyone has contact info, I'd be all over that video. Going to checking freesofree.net for boots if any are up soon.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
where did you see eyehategod? i saw em in richmond and didnt really think they were all thatt loud actually, even for alley katz standards. lightning bolt at the nanci on the other hand....

LRHippo

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2005, 04:29:00 pm »
Capt'n....the video was for an official DVD release of this reunion tour. You won't find any footage anywhere until it's released.

ggw

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2005, 01:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Captain Jack:
 There was a dude with a digital camera taping right in front of J. the whole time, if anyone has contact info, I'd be all over that video. Going to checking freesofree.net for boots if any are up soon.
You can download (torrent) the audio here.

sonicyouth42

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Captain Jack:
You can download (torrent) the audio here. [/b]
How does it sound?  I can't get a membership to Dimeadozen because they apparently have too many users.