Author Topic: The Fall Roll Call  (Read 2891 times)

ratioci nation

The Fall Roll Call
« on: April 13, 2004, 10:07:00 am »
Anybody else going tonight to see rock how it is meant to be?  An old man who has to perform sitting down because he broke a hip.

markie

Re: The Fall Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
I bet I am still too scared of him to heckle?

Well last time he could barely stand anyway, still it was a pretty good show. I wonder if it will take 2 hours to revive him tonight?

If the weather stays like this, I am driving there.

poorlulu

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 10:56:00 am »
well if we drive there...........are we going to 5 guys first?

yaaaaaaaaaay greasy burgers and sack o' fries...........

markie

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
Its a possibility.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
Do you all know they're opening a 5 Guys around Logan Circle?  (Or is that what you're talking about...I thought it wasn't opened yet in the city).

markie

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 11:09:00 am »
There is one on Georgia Av, just round the corner and up the hill from 930.

We went last week. My heart still hurts.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 11:11:00 am »
Ah, didn't know.  Thought it was just out in 'Ginnie.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 11:11:00 am »
a 5 guys is opening in chinatown too. . .

as much as i'd like to go, i probably won't make it tonight. . .
OU812

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
I like getting the pizza sandwiches at PoBellys.

snailhook

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 02:51:00 pm »
i will be there, helping out sounds of kaleidoscope as well. if you're into the jesus and mary chain, my bloody valentine, the kinks, and the lilys, get there by 9 to see kaleidoscope, who are, IMHO, one of DC's best-kept secrets.

the fall were fantastic last july at the cat, much better than when i saw them on their 1998 tour. they are erratic, though.

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 02:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  i will be there, helping out sounds of kaleidoscope as well. if you're into the jesus and mary chain, my bloody valentine, the kinks, and the lilys, get there by 9 to see kaleidoscope, who are, IMHO, one of DC's best-kept secrets.

the fall were fantastic last july at the cat, much better than when i saw them on their 1998 tour. they are erratic, though.
i enjoyed the last fall show as well, although I have to admit I got a bit bored at the end

I saw Sounds of Kaleidoscope play at the Velvet Lounge, liked them ok, enough that I was happy to see they were now the opener for the Fall.

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 03:00:00 pm »
I will probably go for Sounds of Kaleidoscope. I saw them recently at the Hirshhorn show. It was amazing, even in that stuffy setting. Haven't heard much of the Fall, but I will stay to check it out.
 Do you really think you need to be there at 9pm for the opener. Maybe 9:30 would be ok, just asking?

snailhook

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 03:02:00 pm »
 i enjoyed the last fall show as well, although I have to admit I got a bit bored at the end

I saw Sounds of Kaleidoscope play at the Velvet Lounge, liked them ok, enough that I was happy to see they were now the opener for the Fall.
i agree with you to an extent on that fall show; fortunately, they kept the set to about an hour instead of beating it into the ground. i though the set was consistent and solid overall, but compared to the glory days of the fall -- which i would say was up to 1989 -- the spontaneity and diversity were sorely lacking. they were so great because they took chances, and now it seems they are content with a focused sound.

as for kaleidoscope, if you haven't seen them recently, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. they've improved quite a bit over the past couple of years.

snailhook

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 03:04:00 pm »
Do you really think you need to be there at 9pm for the opener. Maybe 9:30 would be ok, just asking?  
from my experience with the black cat, on a tuesday night, the doors are at 8:30 and with two bands, the opener will go on anywhere between 9 and 9:30. i say 9 to be safe. kaleidoscope will play a 45 minute set tonight.

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 03:05:00 pm »
as for kaleidoscope, if you haven't seen them recently, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. they've improved quite a bit over the past couple of years.  
Absolutely true. I saw them several years ago at Decater Blue (sp). I could have sleep through it. But at the Hirshhorn I was amazed.