Author Topic: Mountain bike rides in and around DC  (Read 5110 times)

jkeisenh

Re: Mountain bike rides in and around DC
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Random Balls:
  Mank, you should have thrown in the stipulation that urbanites are required to bike naked.
Don't ask for things you don't want.

I did the RAGBRAI last year and this guy did the entire thing wearing flip-flops, a loincloth, and a helmet.  
 There was also a team of folks wearing only pink tutus with their bike shoes and helmets.

*shudder* ew....

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 10:28:00 am »
Nudity is a good thing. We need more of it in the world. We went to a "nude town" in France last year, where everyone went about their business in the nude. Nothing like seeing senior citizen men and women riding around on their bikes in the nude. Quite a laugh riot.

thirsty moore

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 10:33:00 am »
So that's what RAGBRAI is!  I've been lurking on bikeforums.net and have seen mentions of that.  

How was your ride chimblysweep?  That would be particularly cool for me to do as I was born in Davenport.

MaLo

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 10:42:00 am »

jkeisenh

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
RAGBRAI isn't really a bike ride, don't be fooled.  It's more like a drunken county fair on wheels.  It's fantastic fun.  It's naked beer slides, wet tshirt contests, bad cover bands, and a little biking inbetween.

If you're thinking of doing it, though, to avoid boring, camping, non-rowdy folks, make sure you join a large team.  (I'd recommend something like Team Fork More Pork, Team Checker, or Team Drunk.)

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  So that's what RAGBRAI is!  I've been lurking on bikeforums.net and have seen mentions of that.  

How was your ride chimblysweep?  That would be particularly cool for me to do as I was born in Davenport.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:

My family is from IOWA (knoxville) and we all did RAGBRAI 3 years ago (aunts, uncles and cousins).  I think we are doing it again this summer. We rode as team Katiedid (my grandmother (katie) rode RAGBRAI many years - rode in the first one even)..so we did it as a tribute to her..and rode with these crazy green helmet covers that had antenna on them..and bright green shirts...haha man my relatives are crazy.  good time though!

mankie

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by MaLo:
  http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/
I don't know about the ladies...but cycling naked for a bloke would be VERY uncomfortable, and you could do yourself a lot of damage down there if "the lads" are left to swing low sweet chariot.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 Accotink has some good trails (not the one shown on the map Rhett posted), but is quite a bit further if you are coming from College Park.
If you are coming from College Park there is Fairland near Laurel.  Otherwise, shoot up i-95 and hit the Avalon section of Patapsco.  Things are too wet right now though, need to let things dry.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 11:57:00 am »
I was going to suggest Patapsco, but couldn't remember the name...been awhile.

My favorite place is somewhere down around St Mary's County around a lake...can't remember what it's called.

I have a couple of good books with local mtn biking trails. Sure the books can be picked up online.

Originally posted by Sailor Ripley:

Accotink has some good trails (not the one shown on the map Rhett posted), but is quite a bit further if you are coming from College Park.
If you are coming from College Park there is Fairland near Laurel.  Otherwise, shoot up i-95 and hit the Avalon section of Patapsco.  Things are too wet right now though, need to let things dry. [/b]

markie

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
Thanks for all the responses......

Anyone got a link for the fairland place?

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
Here's directions.  From what I know there's only about 10-12 miles of trail, probably not too difficult.  I've been meaning to check it out since I work pretty close, but I live next to Avalon so that's where I usually ride.  BTW, Avalon is the best riding you will find in the area next to Frederick Watershed/Gambrill.  And if you like the Frederick stuff, Elizabeth Furnace in VA rocks (literally) and isn't much further from DC.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2004, 03:31:00 pm »
Try this site.  It's an index of trails all over the U.S.  It lists a few trails in DC and probably tons in MD and VA.

http://www.traillink.com/

ggw

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
  Thanks for all the responses......

Try   http://www.mtbr.com/trails/   for trails.

Originally posted by sailor ripley:
  And if you like the Frederick stuff, Elizabeth Furnace in VA rocks (literally) and isn't much further from DC.
Just remember to go up on the fireroad and down on the blazed trails.  Unfortunately, the first time I went there, I did it in the opposite direction.  It sucked.

jkeisenh

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2004, 03:58:00 pm »
 Just remember to go up on the fireroad and down on the blazed trails.  Unfortunately, the first time I went there, I did it in the opposite direction.  It sucked.
Yup, did that one.  Fell off while clipped in and got a nasty gash in my leg that landed me in an ER.  Yuck, that's a bad idea.

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2004, 04:48:00 pm »
Mountain biking is gay.  Exercise is gay.