Author Topic: Sell your Shins CDs  (Read 2701 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Sell your Shins CDs
« on: April 13, 2004, 08:45:00 pm »
They appeared on Gilmore Girls tonight!!!!!!  They have sold their indie souls to Hollywood.  Rat Bastards!!!!  Whats a bit odd is that the band played what appeared to be live on the set, I had the sound down because kosmette was on the phone, and not one character talked over the bands appearence. hmmmm

edit - because some goofball decided to ruin the airing of 24, i rewatched the end of glimore girls with kosmette.  and i was wrong about show dialog interuppting the shins, there was a brief bit of dialog towards the end of the song.  still the shins got more prime time screen time on the gilmore girls than i've seen on other shows in long time...
T.Rex

eltee

Re: Sell your Shins CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:31:00 pm »
Heheh. I saw in the TV guide they were performing on the show.

helicon1

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 10:59:00 pm »
Eh, Alfie is better anyway.

eltee

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 07:59:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  edit - because some goofball decided to ruin the airing of 24, i rewatched the end of glimore girls with kosmette.  and i was wrong about show dialog interuppting the shins, there was a brief bit of dialog towards the end of the song.  still the shins got more prime time screen time on the gilmore girls than i've seen on other shows in long time...
you're right kosmo, they did focus in on the band more than they generally do on shows. lots of close ups. sounds like the producers didn't mix /alter the performance too much either. at least they didn't talk over the vocals. (dvr satellite allowed me to go back and review the show). did you see them waving wildly to the crowd when they left the stage? heheh.

jkeisenh

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 09:32:00 am »
Originally posted by El Tee:
  you're right kosmo, they did focus in on the band more than they generally do on shows. lots of close ups. sounds like the producers didn't mix /alter the performance too much either. at least they didn't talk over the vocals. (dvr satellite allowed me to go back and review the show). did you see them waving wildly to the crowd when they left the stage? heheh.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Shins probably drew more of an audience than Gilmore Girls does... I would guess many a shins-fan was happy to avoid the blather.

Which does raise an interesting conversation about bands making appearances on television shows.  

I'll never forget the much-anticipated REM appearance on the Simpsons, which became like 5 seconds of them playing "it's the end of the world..." and then some poking fun at tofurkey.

Or the Donnas on the movie Jawbreaker as the band playing the prom.

Now that I think of it, I would have to advise bands (who probably care *so* much about what I think) to either put in the contract that they're playing a whole song or don't do it at all.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 09:40:00 am »
Did you mean to say that the Shins probably helped bring in more of an audience than the Gilmore Girls would normally draw?

The Shins have sold 144,000 copies of Chutes Too Narrow. I'll bet the Gilmore Girls probably has a regular audience of 100 times that size. Seems to me the Shins have more to benefit in the deal than the Gilmore Girls.

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Shins probably drew more of an audience than Gilmore Girls does... I would guess many a shins-fan was happy to avoid the blather.

Which does raise an interesting conversation about bands making appearances on television shows.  

I'll never forget the much-anticipated REM appearance on the Simpsons, which became like 5 seconds of them playing "it's the end of the world..." and then some poking fun at tofurkey.

Or the Donnas on the movie Jawbreaker as the band playing the prom.

Now that I think of it, I would have to advise bands (who probably care *so* much about what I think) to either put in the contract that they're playing a whole song or don't do it at all. [/b]

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 09:54:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  Now that I think of it, I would have to advise bands (who probably care *so* much about what I think) to either put in the contract that they're playing a whole song or don't do it at all.
That would be nice, but I think it's more realistic that the TV folks are gonna say "you get 30 seconds or we'll get one of the other hundreds of indie bands that are begging us to be on our show."  I wouldn't blame a band for doing it.  With the current state of radio and MTV, that 30 seconds of exposure is huge for them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 10:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Random Balls:
 [QB] Did you mean to say that the Shins probably helped bring in more of an audience than the Gilmore Girls would normally draw?

The Shins have sold 144,000 copies of Chutes Too Narrow. I'll bet the Gilmore Girls probably has a regular audience of 100 times that size. Seems to me the Shins have more to benefit in the deal than the Gilmore Girls.

as did the new pronographers whose song was playing in the club after the shins left the stage...
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 10:12:00 am »
The more pressing question is....what is Kosmo doing watching the Gilmore Girls?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
because kosmo and kosmette enjoy watching the gilmore girls together...  any show that name checks the sugarplastic gets my undying allegience.  the overall story lines are a bit lame, but the dialog is clever and littered with pop cultural references.
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
It's nice they didn't advertise them being on the show (at least I didn't see any). On the episode, there was no mention of their name, nor any huge banners splashing their name. Kinda cool they just played their song. I hate it when bands/artists are on a show and they have dialogue with the characters "as themselves".
 I dunno, the show is on the verge of being cancelled, so the show probably benefited. Last night was the first time I saw them advertise a bands' cd after the show.
 I can't remember which political group criticized the show b/c the woman on the show is a single mother. (*whatever*)
 Hey Kosmo - The episodes that feature the band (& Sebastian) are pretty funny and reference some good music.

loopzlp

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 01:18:00 pm »
They were advertised: about two months ago pitchfork mentioned they'd be appearing.  Then, during the show at the 'club', many a person was sporting a shins tshirt near and around shins posters.  But yes, there was 'no mention' of them in the dialogue.
 I was happy.  Gilmore girls and the shins...It beat out the episode where Lane had a gig at CBGBs.

It's nice they didn't advertise them being on the show (at least I didn't see any). On the episode, there was no mention of their name, nor any huge banners splashing their name. Kinda cool they just played their song. I hate it when bands/artists are on a show and they have dialogue with the characters "as themselves".
 I dunno, the show is on the verge of being cancelled, so the show probably benefited. Last night was the first time I saw them advertise a bands' cd after the show.
 I can't remember which political group criticized the show b/c the woman on the show is a single mother. (*whatever*)
 Hey Kosmo - The episodes that feature the band (& Sebastian) are pretty funny and reference some good music.

Fico

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 01:33:00 pm »
Then I guess all this vindicates Rooney's appearance in the OC...which is on tonight btw, joy!

Bags

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 06:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by loopzlp:
  ...It beat out the episode where Lane had a gig at CBGBs.
:D  hee hee, I saw that.  Lane is into awesome music and talks about it really well; it's fun to see a t.v. character as an indie rebel -- in that geeky kind of way (which is kind of true to life).

eltee

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 08:17:00 pm »
Did anyone watch the other night? Was that The Shins playing on her car stereo?