Author Topic: Curefest 2004  (Read 3529 times)

filthypit

Curefest 2004
« on: April 14, 2004, 10:44:00 am »
just announced:  The Cure
 late summer north american tour
 w/ interpol and the rapture

robert smith is loosing his hair and gaining weight - does this mean a new hair-don't for him?  :roll:

Re: Curefest 2004
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
Which will he sell out to first, Slim Fast or Rogaine? And which song(s) will they use?

jkeisenh

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
Man, I thought they were getting old when I saw them back on the Wild Mood Swings tour and that was, gosh, a while ago.  I wonder if there will be extra prep in case of old-people related problems, like one of those portable defibulators on stage or something.

Medusa

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
I just read this on the Chain Of Flowers web site ... I've always been a little wary of festivals for the reason they cite (shorter set times) - I loved the Cure shows I saw that were nearly 3 hours long.   :)  

"So Robert finally leaked a bit of info about this summer's "Curefest" to EW. Yes, you can forget about 2 and a half to 3 hour shows, and get used to the idea of 90-105 minute sets. So it will be The Cure, Interpol and The Rapture, plus more bands to be announced later. Update: No, "Curefest" is NOT "in addition to" the regular North American tour, "Curefest" IS the North American tour."

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

filthypit

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Balls:
  Which will he sell out to first, Slim Fast or Rogaine? And which song(s) will they use?
i think it means that the tour will be sponsored by krispy kreme or KFC rather than budweiser

are there an inordinate number of testiclage related screen-names in this forum, or is it just me?

grotty

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by filthypit:

are there an inordinate number of testiclage related screen-names in this forum, or is it just me?
Best to go to the source for all things Balls  - PM user #749

eltee

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by filthypit:
Whatever do you mean? What's testiclage?

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 02:51:00 pm »
So when they play live, which band is going to play "The New"  from Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights (Track 10) - The Cure or Interpol?

Or will they both just play the same intro chord and Interpol will play "The New" and The Cure will play "Caterpillar"?

I might even go to the show just to see what happens....
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 05:05:00 pm »
maybe they'll do it like the bowie/nine inch nails tour. where during the last nin song bowie came on stage and sang. then the curtain behind nin went up to reveal bowies band.  both bands jammed on a bowie song, nin left the stage except for trent.  who sang one last song and fucked off.  leaving bowie & co. to shred nin.  unfortunately, the audience was primarily nin fans and bowie didn't get the respect he deserved.  nin was little more than a foul mouthed rap act with a weak metal band.
T.Rex

jmascis

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 05:07:00 pm »
Who cares if they are getting old..still good music. besides interpol and the rapture supposedly will tag along. now just have to hope it will become official!11

Bags

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 05:13:00 pm »
okay folks, I need a link.  My Cure friends will NOT believe the interpol/rapture combo unless I can point them to an actual news source....

Thanx

Medusa

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
Here is the link to the Chain Of Flowers web site - often more updated/current than the official Cure web site, which is just  http://www.thecure.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChainofFlowers/

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 05:24:00 pm »
This was an April Fools Joke on Chain of Flowers, with Tour Dates and everything right?

The Cure plan ahead for 'Winter'

April 1st, 2004 10:00 am ET

The Cure are set to return with a new studio album entitled 'Winter', and a North American tour this summer. The album, their first since 2000's 'Bloodflowers' set, will be released on June 14th internationally and a day later in the U.S. via Geffen/I Am Recordings, with whom the band recently signed a 3 record deal. It will be preceded by a single, 'Everything Forever', which will ship to retail and radio in mid-May. Retail formats will include 7", CD and DVD singles.

Track listing:

7"

Everything Forever (single mix)
 Don't Believe A Word
 CD

Don't Believe A Word
 There's a Planet In My Kitchen
 DVD

Don't Believe A Word
 Everything Forever (Never Forever mix)
 Everything Forever (video)
 Band Interview (video)
 In a Billboard exclusive, Cure front man Robert Smith also revealed the track listing for the band's 12th studio album, and gave us some of his thoughts on the new songs:

Hope - "The feeling before it all goes wrong. Actually believing that things are going to stay like this forever. No doubts. A perfect start."

Another Happy Birthday - "Birthdays are always sort of seen as these wonderful, joyous events. It's never been like that for me. I usually end up drunk and alone, in strange places. This is the story of one of those nights. Several actually."

Heavy World - "We originally tried this for Bloodflowers. It was a totally different song then, our try at Electronica. It's now been rescued by a fantastic guitar part from Perry (Bamonte). Just my view of the world these days, but NOT a political song."

Confessions of a Thug - "Me at my ugliest. Too much drink, too much power, and treating people the way you wouldn't want them to treat you. A night on the Prayer Tour."

Everything Forever - "The first single. A classic Cure guitar song. It will be a massive worldwide hit, guaranteed. Wanting it all, getting it all, and the fear of losing it all again."

No Heat... - "Disagreement and manipulation. Wanting something that someone else doesn't. Big, loud and possibly the next single."

Excuse Me? - "One of the angriest songs I've ever written. I used to need Lol (Tolhurst, former Cure drummer/keyboardist) to be in the studio to reach this point. Sometimes, there's only one side to a story, whether you like it or not."

Quitting Again - "The aftermath of 'Excuse Me?'. Very sad. Just Roger (O'Donnell) on piano and myself on guitar. My favorite at the moment."

Stay - "A love song...in spite of it all."

Winter - "The title tracks have always been the most important songs for me. They should express the overall feel of what you're trying to convey with the album. This is the feeling after it all goes wrong. Dark, cold and alone on endless nights. A perfect ending."

"It's honestly the best thing we've ever done. Not just with this line-up, but with any line-up. And before anyone asks, no, this will not be the last Cure album. Even if it was, no one would believe me at this point." Smith laughingly says, referring to his infamous 'last album ever" claims in the past. Smith says the band have enough material recorded to put out a double album, but would use the extra tracks for b-sides and a forthcoming "internet only" ep later in the year.

The Cure also plan to launch their first North American tour in four years, July 23rd in New York. The trek, which will see the band playing small theaters on multiple nights, will hit 20 cities in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, before winding down on Sept. 5th in Boston. Tickets for the first 7 shows go on sale this saturday, April 3rd at 10am through Ticketmaster, but fans who visit The Cure's website (www.thecure.com) today, will have the chance to buy seats in the first 10 rows for each show, via a password the band sent out last night to everyone who signed up for their mailing list.

Smith is set to officially announce the tour and more album details on KROQ's Kevin & Bean show later this morning, and in a full interview with Billboard next week.

Here are The Cure's tour dates:

(Interpol is support on all dates)

July 23rd - New York, NY (Beacon Theatre)
 July 24th - New York, NY (Beacon Theatre)
 July 25th - New York, NY (Beacon Theatre)
 July 27th - Philadelphia, Pa. (Theatre of Living Arts)
 July 28th - Philadelphia, Pa. (Theatre of Living Arts)
 July 29th - Washington, D.C. (Warner Theatre)
 July 31st - Atlanta, Ga. (Fox Theatre)
 Aug. 1st - Atlanta, Ga. (Fox Theatre)
 Aug. 2nd - Orlando, Fl. (Bob Carr Performing Arts Center)
 Aug. 4th - New Orleans, La. (Orpheum Theatre)
 Aug. 5th - New Orleans, La. (Orpheum Theatre)
 Aug. 6th - Houston, Tx. (Verizon Wireless Theatre)
 Aug. 7th - Houston, Tx. (Verizon Wireless Theatre)
 Aug. 9th - Dallas, Tx. (Majestic Theatre)
 Aug. 10th - Dallas, Tx. (Majestic Theatre)
 Aug. 12th - Mexico City, Mexico (TBA)
 Aug. 14th - San Diego, Ca. (Humphrey's By The Bay)
 Aug. 15th - San Diego, Ca. (Humphrey's By The Bay)
 Aug. 16th - Los Angeles, Ca. (Henry Fonda Theatre)
 Aug. 17th - Los Angeles, Ca. (Henry Fonda Theatre)
 Aug. 19th - Los Angeles, Ca. (Henry Fonda Theatre)
 Aug. 20th - Las Vegas, Nv. (Mandalay Bay Theatre)
 Aug. 21st - San Francisco, Ca. (Nob Hill Masonic Center)
 Aug. 22nd - San Francisco, Ca. (Nob Hill Masonic Center)
 Aug. 24th - Seattle, Wa. (Moore Theatre)
 Aug. 25th - Seattle, Wa. (Moore Theatre)
 Aug. 27th - Denver, Co. (Paramount Theatre)
 Aug. 29th - Minneapolis, Mn. (Northrup Auditorium)
 Aug. 30th - Chicago, Il. (Vic Theatre)
 Aug. 31st - Chicago, Il. (Vic Theatre)
 Sept. 1st - Detroit, Mi. (Fox Theatre)
 Sept. 3rd - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Hummingbird Centre)
 Sept. 4th - Boston, Ma. (Orpheum Theatre)
 Sept. 5th - Boston, Ma. (Orpheum Theatre)
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 05:30:00 pm »
April 10th

So Robert finally leaked a bit of info about this summer's "Curefest" to EW. Yes, you can forget about 2 and a half to 3 hour shows, and get used to the idea of 90-105 minute sets. So it will be The Cure, Interpol and The Rapture, plus more bands to be announced later.
 Update: No, "Curefest" is NOT "in addition to" the regular North American tour, "Curefest" IS the North American tour. And yes, I do think it's a stupid idea.

ggw

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  This was an April Fools Joke on Chain of Flowers, with Tour Dates and everything right?

Allegedly, Robert Smith talks about the tour in an interview in the Entertainment Weekly issue of April 16, 2004.  It's not available online -- unless you are a subscriber.