Author Topic: Yeasayer/MGMT sold out  (Read 4145 times)

calecp01

Yeasayer/MGMT sold out
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »
I think this may be the first backstage show selling out ahead of time since The Cat stated doing pr-sales this year.  Was talking to Yeasayer's management and they were offered to move the show upstairs but were afraid they wouldn't be able to sell enough tickets at such late notice.  If enough people want to go they may change their minds.

930clubber

Re: Yeasayer/MGMT sold out
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »
I'd see this show over Blonde Redhead if moved to the mainstage.  They can't do worse than VHS or Beta on a Monday night.

What's the calculation?  Are they worried about an empty room or are they liable for extra expenses if they take the main stage?

Originally posted by cale:
  I think this may be the first backstage show selling out ahead of time since The Cat stated doing pr-sales this year.  Was talking to Yeasayer's management and they were offered to move the show upstairs but were afraid they wouldn't be able to sell enough tickets at such late notice.  If enough people want to go they may change their minds.

calecp01

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »
Don't know exactly but I believe they are liable for extra expenses (more staff for instance)

Originally posted by 930clubber:
  I'd see this show over Blonde Redhead if moved to the mainstage.  They can't do worse than VHS or Beta on a Monday night.

What's the calculation?  Are they worried about an empty room or are they liable for extra expenses if they take the main stage?

[/b]

helicon1

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »
I missed out on tickets and would gladly attend if they move upstairs. I bet internet buzz could create a good crowd. Wouldn't opening it up just be gravy for them? Maybe they just want a better atmosphere.

I didn't realize BC sold advanced tickets for the backstage!

calecp01

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »
It's not atmosphere - it's definitely $, I just don't know the specifics.  Black Cat just started selling advance tix to backstage shows this year.

Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
  I missed out on tickets and would gladly attend if they move upstairs. I bet internet buzz could create a good crowd. Wouldn't opening it up just be gravy for them? Maybe they just want a better atmosphere.

I didn't realize BC sold advanced tickets for the backstage!

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »
So is this a petition of sorts?

signed...

They'd easily be able to fill half the main room if not more.
احمد

calecp01

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »
In a sense, we got a bunch of emails about it on BYT today and so we asked the Cat and they said it was the band's decision, I asked their manager and he confirmed but was wondering how much interest there was.

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  So is this a petition of sorts?

signed...

They'd easily be able to fill half the main room if not more.

calecp01

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »
Ok - we decided to do a post on it, plus there is a link to an actual Facebook petition not started by us:

http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/live-dc/the-yeasayermgmt-sold-out-deal/

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »
What a bunch of whining pitchfork babies  :)

Ok - we decided to do a post on it, plus there is a link to an actual Facebook petition not started by us:

http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/live-dc/the-yeasayermgmt-sold-out-deal/
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »
Updates?

Any chance of this move happening or are we SOL?
احمد

ggw

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »
I have never heard of the Black Cat moving a backstage show to the main stage.  This isn't the first opportunity.

That being said, I have always had great luck standing outside the 'Cat ticketless and looking forlorn.

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »
Meh...it'll be too cold for that tomorrow.

This reminds me of when Beirut played the warehouse. Everyone who wanted to see that show got in, though; didn't they? And Beirut haven't been back since that show.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 That being said, I have always had great luck standing outside the 'Cat ticketless and looking forlorn.
احمد

calecp01

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »
Absolutely not - I'd say about 100 people eventually got turned away from that show after standing in line for over an hour (me included)

This reminds me of when Beirut played the warehouse. Everyone who wanted to see that show got in, though; didn't they? And Beirut haven't been back since that show.

[/b]

azaghal1981

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »
Wow...had no idea.

Absolutely not - I'd say about 100 people eventually got turned away from that show after standing in line for over an hour (me included)

[/b]
[/b]
احمد

ggw

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »
The Black Cat ain't the Warehouse.