Author Topic: Couple of great shows  (Read 12268 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Couple of great shows
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2003, 01:05:00 pm »
I've heard Tomorrow The Green Grass and really like the songs 'Blue', 'Real Light', and 'I'd Run Away'.  Was that with Mark Olson?

Henry Dark

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2003, 01:10:00 pm »
Yes, that was the last album they did with Mark Olson. Probably my favorite Jayhawks release, though Hollywood Town Hall is also excellent. I think allmusic did a nice job of summing it up.<P>The Jayhawks' final record with singer/songwriter Mark Olson, Tomorrow the Green Grass is also the group's finest. While the band's earlier efforts perfected a more traditional brand of country-rock, their fourth record is marvelously eclectic, both musically and emotionally; never before had they rocked as hard as on "Real Light," dug as painfully deep as on "Two Hearts," or hit quite the same peaks of exuberance as on "Miss Williams' Guitar," a tribute to Olson's new wife, neo-folkie Victoria Williams. The addition of keyboardist Karen Grotberg brings rich new layers to the Jayhawks' sound, as does the inclusion of a string section on cuts like "Blue" and "I'd Run Away," a soaring pop song that's quite possibly the best thing the group ever recorded. A fitting legacy, indeed.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>I've heard Tomorrow The Green Grass and really like the songs 'Blue', 'Real Light', and 'I'd Run Away'.  Was that with Mark Olson?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2003, 01:58:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>   The Jayhawks show is acoustic. Did you see them acoustic?<BR>   I never quite liked them as much after Mark Olson left the band.<BR>   Years and years ago, they were opening for Matthew Sweet, but my friend farted around and we got there late and only caught the last two songs. He complained that they sounded like Willie Nelson, but he later learned to appreciate the Jayhawks and Willie.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yes they were acoustic when I saw them, i believe they played Blue as well, it really was a good show, according to the description on Birchmere they may strictly be acoustic now, but that does not seem right, I believe they are supposed to have a new album coming out soon

jadetree

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2003, 02:04:00 pm »
<A HREF="http://mikke.kvalito.no/~ameneon/jayhawks/news.html" TARGET=_blank>http://mikke.kvalito.no/~ameneon/jayhawks/news.html[/url]  - also on this site it said that Olson and Louris wrote some songs together in 2002, but not clear what happened to them, may be on Olson's album<P>According to Lost Highway the new album titled Rainy Day Songs will be released April next year. Guests are a whole lot musicians including producer Ethan Johns, half-Jayhawk Stephen McCarthy, Chris Stills, Richard Causon, "16 Down" Matthew Sweet, "6th Avenue Heartache" Jakob Dylan, and banjoman Bearnie Leadon. Track titles could be: <BR>All the Right Reasons (also known as "Rotterdam"), Save it for a Rainy Day (also known as "Pretty Little Hairdo"), Tampa to Tulsa, One Man's Problem, Angelyne, Please Don't Ask, Eyes Of Sarah Jane, Tailspin,  and You look so young <P>In other good  news the Jayhawks plans to release discarded studio material and maybe live material. Marc Perlman claims that most of his great stuff are among these things. The CD ('s) will be sold at live gigs and hopefully also on the internet.<P>Marc Perlman is still one of the members in Kraig Johnson's backing band "The Program". The other ones are Ed Ackerson (guitars, keyboard) , Jim Boquist (guitars) and Pete Anderson (drums)<P>The latest update from Marc Perlman (= June 12.):<P>"We are recording presently, in Los Angeles (Sunset Sound Studio 3) with Ethan Johns (producer of Ryan Adams' "Gold") behind the board. All is going well and smooth. We hope to have the record done in a few weeks. Initial tracking is being done by myself, Tim and Gary. Stephen McCarthy is slated for a few days of recording. We're mostly playing it by ear." <P>The CD is planned to be "the most acoustic based, stripped down, and live record the Jayhawks have ever made". "It's a new side of the band, and it's really in touch with what we're all about, because you can hear more of the vocals and harmonies. Most of the songs on 'Smile' started out this way." (Louris)<P><p>[This message has been edited by jadetree (edited 01-08-2003).]

Henry Dark

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
Olson sis a live appearance on KEXP awhile back, and mentioned working on a couple of songs with Louris. I believe he did say that they were on his (Olson's) most recent album.<P>   For me, the Jayhawks are a little too poppy without Olson, and Olson's voice on his solo work is a little too grating without the harmony of Louris. IMHO, the best thing that could happen would be for Olson rejoin the band he started.<P>   Louris also plays in Golden Smog with, among others, Jeff Tweedy.<P>   From allmusic:<P>Life in the desert with wife Victoria Williams certainly has focused Mark Olson's eye for lyrical detail. Whether singing about around-the-clock meth labs or newspaper roses sold by the side of the road, he creates fully realized worlds within each song on December's Child. The lo-fi folk vibe of the earlier self-released Creekdippers recordings and 2000's My Own Jo Ellen remains, and Olson again shares credit for the album with the Creekdippers. But the electricity and amplification have been turned up a bit, too â?? rather than deliberately eschewed as he seemed to prefer after first going relatively solo. If Williams is less of a vocal presence (except for trading verses on the raucous closer, "One Eyed Black Dog Moses"), she lets her funky wah-wah banjo fill any resulting gap. What may surprise many fans is that Olson is joined on one song by his former Jayhawks partner Gary Louris, though the co-written "Say You'll Be Mine" is considerably looser than their previous work together. That it's no less ramshackle than the rest of this worthwhile album is a testament to an endearing minimalist approach that allows Olson to refine his singing and songwriting talents rather than bother himself with fussy production concerns<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> <A HREF="http://mikke.kvalito.no/~ameneon/jayhawks/news.html" TARGET=_blank>http://mikke.kvalito.no/~ameneon/jayhawks/news.html[/url]  - also on this site it said that Olson and Louris wrote some songs together in 2002, but not clear what happened to them, may be on Olson's album<P>According to Lost Highway the new album titled Rainy Day Songs will be released April next year. Guests are a whole lot musicians including producer Ethan Johns, half-Jayhawk Stephen McCarthy, Chris Stills, Richard Causon, "16 Down" Matthew Sweet, "6th Avenue Heartache" Jakob Dylan, and banjoman Bearnie Leadon. Track titles could be: <BR>All the Right Reasons (also known as "Rotterdam"), Save it for a Rainy Day (also known as "Pretty Little Hairdo"), Tampa to Tulsa, One Man's Problem, Angelyne, Please Don't Ask, Eyes Of Sarah Jane, Tailspin,  and You look so young <P>In other good  news the Jayhawks plans to release discarded studio material and maybe live material. Marc Perlman claims that most of his great stuff are among these things. The CD ('s) will be sold at live gigs and hopefully also on the internet.<P>Marc Perlman is still one of the members in Kraig Johnson's backing band "The Program". The other ones are Ed Ackerson (guitars, keyboard) , Jim Boquist (guitars) and Pete Anderson (drums)<P>The latest update from Marc Perlman (= June 12.):<P>"We are recording presently, in Los Angeles (Sunset Sound Studio 3) with Ethan Johns (producer of Ryan Adams' "Gold") behind the board. All is going well and smooth. We hope to have the record done in a few weeks. Initial tracking is being done by myself, Tim and Gary. Stephen McCarthy is slated for a few days of recording. We're mostly playing it by ear." <P>The CD is planned to be "the most acoustic based, stripped down, and live record the Jayhawks have ever made". "It's a new side of the band, and it's really in touch with what we're all about, because you can hear more of the vocals and harmonies. Most of the songs on 'Smile' started out this way." (Louris)<P>[This message has been edited by jadetree (edited 01-08-2003).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
I agree they can get pretty poppy, but I really like Sound of Lies, Smile was not nearly as good.  I wonder when Golden Smog will put out another album, wonder if Tweedy is too big for that now.  I thought Weird Tales was a really good album, although poppier than Down by the old Mainstream.  Did you notice Louris' dorky mug in the dressing room after the Minneapolis show in the Wilco movie.

Henry Dark

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2003, 03:41:00 pm »
Nope, but that will be another thing to look for when we buy the DVD next month.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B>.  Did you notice Louris' dorky mug in the dressing room after the Minneapolis show in the Wilco movie.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
Because of this conversation, am listening to Sound of Lies, Think About It is a great song.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
A couple more show for fans of the real garage rock...<P>As seen on the Sopranos<P>Trenton, NJ's <A HREF="http://www.neckbreakers.com" TARGET=_blank>Swingin' Neckbreakers [/url] will be trekking down to the Baltimore's The Tattoo this Saturday 1/11/02 to bring down the house with their high energy alcohol fueled garage rock.<P>Opening the show will be Charm City's very own heavy instrumental surf band <A HREF="http://www.swivomatics.com" TARGET=_blank>The Swiv-o-matics[/url]. The Swiv's come complete with two go-go dancers.<P>I will be spinning garage rock in the upstairs lounge after the show....<P>also of interest the another NJ garage band <A HREF="http://www.omatics.net" TARGET=_blank>The O-matics [/url]on Friday 1/10/02.  The O-matics are young and full of energy in their matching ice cream man uniforms.
T.Rex

Mobius

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2003, 05:14:00 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on the Jayhawks show.  I love Tomorrow the Green Grass, but Smile was one of the most dissapointing albums I've ever heard. I'd still like to see them.   Olson did a great version of "In My Hour of Darkness" w/ Victoria Williams on the Gram Parsons tribute, but he belongs back in the Jayhawks!

Jaguär

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2003, 06:49:00 pm »
Another Garage band I've heard that I'd like to hear more of is the Flaming Sideburns.

ggw

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2003, 01:29:00 am »
RE: JAYHAWKS â?? JAN/FEB 2003 TOUR â?? CANCELATION <P>Due to unexpected and unfortunate circumstances, the Jayhawks must cancel their January/February 2003 US tour. Gary Louris was hospitalized this morning on being diagnosed by his doctor with a condition known as pericarditis which is a life-threatening infection of the heart. He was suffering from chest pains and fortunately went to his physician who discovered the problem and sent him to the hospital in an ambulance. Thankfully, Garyâ??s prognosis appears tonight to be good and we are all hoping that he will be treated successfully in the hospital and be able to go home within a week. The doctors have advised him that under no circumstances can he travel or work for at least three weeks if not more. <P>We are, needless to say, very disappointed that the Jayhawks cannot go out on the road as planned but are happy to hear, as I know you are, that he is expected to fully recover from the illness. Best regards. <P>Very truly yours, <P>Russell D. Carter <BR>

jadetree

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2003, 01:41:00 am »
Damn, glad he is ok.<P>I just went and sold my Pretenders ticket to.

thirsty moore

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »
I read on the Sonic Youth board that Television will be playing shows in NYC and Philly.  It'd be nice if they came to DC.

jadetree

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2003, 12:22:00 pm »
Thu 03/20/03   Brian Jonestown Massacre  Velvet Lounge  <P>Sat 03/22/03   Cat Power  9:30 Club