Author Topic: Jason Ringenberg @ Iota 1/16  (Read 12818 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Jason Ringenberg @ Iota 1/16
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2003, 06:03:00 pm »
Specifically, the two songs I'm thinking "This Charming Man" and "Shakespeare's Sister".

markie

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2003, 06:09:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>  We played you Country Love Songs.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, that does explain it.....<P>I only listened twice so far, but I will listen again.<P>I did pick it up to give to you, it is a promo, but I am becoming attached to it, rather disappointingly.

markie

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2003, 06:10:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>Specifically, the two songs I'm thinking "This Charming Man" and "Shakespeare's Sister".</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I really dont see it myself.

Henry Dark

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2003, 06:12:00 pm »
Good ear. Alt-country artist Bobby Bare Jr. did a cover of This Charming Man on his recent solo debut. Actually, his solo album was very alt-country, I'm not sure if his band Bare Jr. would qualify for that tag.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>Specifically, the two songs I'm thinking "This Charming Man" and "Shakespeare's Sister".</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2003, 06:13:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>I'm not sure if his band Bare Jr. would qualify for that tag.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>definitely not, I think we have discussed this before

markie

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2003, 06:14:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Good ear. Alt-country artist Bobby Bare Jr. did a cover of This Charming Man on his recent solo debut. Actually, his solo album was very alt-country, I'm not sure if his band Bare Jr. would qualify for that tag.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I listened and immediately burst out into a laughing fit that I had difficulties in stopping.....<P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2003, 06:20:00 pm »
By liking that Robbie Fulks album and not liking the Bare Jr, perhaps you have demonstrated a good ear for separating the good alt-country from the bad.<P>Of course I prefer the twisted country stuff of Robbie fulks to the pop/rock stuff, but both have their merits in my book.<P>Don't care much for Bare Jr with or without his band, though I think i did hear one solo song I liked.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> I listened and immediately burst out into a laughing fit that I had difficulties in stopping.....<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

thirsty moore

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2003, 06:24:00 pm »
The guitar licks in the songs owe a lot to fast country guitar picking.  You can hear a lot of that style in rockabilly/honky-tonk.<P>  <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> I really dont see it myself.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by thirsty moore (edited 01-21-2003).]

markie

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2003, 06:25:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B> good ear <P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>thanks, but I doubt I am so refined. The Bare Jr was one of the worst smiths covers I have heard though.<P>the robbie fulks might as well be rock as alt-country. I personally couldnt really make the distinction.<P>Perhaps rock in America has become a dirty word associated with Creed, Linkin Park, Bon Jovi and Ratt........

Henry Dark

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2003, 06:29:00 pm »
Morrissey was always a big rockabilly fan, right? Or did he just like the looks of the guys who played it?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>The guitar licks in the songs owe a lot to fast country guitar picking.  You can hear a lot of that style in rockabilly/honky-tonk.<P>  <P>[This message has been edited by thirsty moore (edited 01-21-2003).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

thirsty moore

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2003, 06:29:00 pm »
Yeh, I never understood that greaser look of his.

jadetree

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2003, 06:31:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>By liking that Robbie Fulks album and not liking the Bare Jr, perhaps you have demonstrated a good ear for separating the good alt-country from the bad.<P>Of course I prefer the twisted country stuff of Robbie fulks to the pop/rock stuff, but both have their merits in my book.<P>Don't care much for Bare Jr with or without his band, though I think i did hear one solo song I liked.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think the first Bare Jr. with band album was a fun album, the next one was not so good, I have not heard his solo work.

jadetree

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2003, 06:34:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>Yeh, I never understood that greaser look of his.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Americana is cool in the uk.

markie

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2003, 06:34:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Morrissey was always a big rockabilly fan, right? Or did he just like the looks of the guys who played it?<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes he liked rockabilly, but I think it was as much for its image as anything else.<P>I think Marr wrote all the music though and I think he liked everything.

markie

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2003, 06:36:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> Americana is cool in the uk.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>its cool here too though, right?<P>