Author Topic: Jason Ringenberg @ Iota 1/16  (Read 12817 times)

SomethingMild

Jason Ringenberg @ Iota 1/16
« on: January 08, 2003, 03:15:00 am »
So is anyone else going to this show? Rhett/Henry/Celeste should be interested. Jason is the lead singer of Jason And The Scorchers, the original country punk band (they??ve been going for 21+ years and still have the greatest live show I??ve ever seen from any band in any genre). This show will be Jason acoustic, focusing on his latest 2 solo CDs. Robyn Hitchcock and Luka Bloom are the only guys I??ve seen that do a comparable solo acoustic show (quality wise ?? they all sound pretty different). <P>The opener is pretty interesting. Tommy Womack, former lead of the BisQuits and Government Cheese and co-writer of several (2?) JATS tracks with Jason will be performing his usual quirky, quality stuff. He??s also the author of ??The Cheese Chronicles?, rated by many (people I know) as the best semi-recent book about the indie music business. Personally I thought it was very good but had too much indie detail to be a total classic. Good read though?..<P>Anyway, back on track ?? I??m not part of their ??street team? (if they had one I??d refrain from joining due to apathy) but this could be one of the best shows of the year. If you can tolerate acoustic music in general (I normally can??t ?? my taste is more punk /hardcore but these guys are great) you??ll probably enjoy and potentially love this show.<P>See any of you there?<P>- SM<BR>

Henry Dark

Re: Jason Ringenberg @ Iota 1/16
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 10:14:00 am »
This is a show that I'd really, really like to go to. But alas, we bought tickets to fly to Chicago for the weekend months ago (leaving on the day of this show). Ironically, there are two great Iota shows while we're gone...this one, and Bill Kirchen, whereas there aren't any shows in Chi-town we'd like to see.<P>   I did see Jason and the Scorchers several years ago at Iota, and it was one wild ride. His solo stuff is a bit more mellow than his work with the Scorchers, but both are very good (now if I could only find my copy of Both Sides of the Line!). I second your endorsement of the show, hope others will give it a chance (only $10). I'd be interested in reading your review of the show.

Henry Dark

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 05:38:00 pm »
<A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9024-2003Jan17.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9024-2003Jan17.html[/url] <P>sounds like it was a good one

markie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »
hey I got a Robbie Fulks promo album for free and like it.<P>Is there something wrong with me?

Henry Dark

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 05:45:00 pm »
Which one is it?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>hey I got a Robbie Fulks promo album for free and like it.<P>Is there something wrong with me?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 05:46:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>hey I got a Robbie Fulks promo album for free and like it.<P>Is there something wrong with me?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>it's called an open mind, enjoy it before you return to your normal self again

markie

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 05:49:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Which one is it?<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>couples in trouble.<P>Its kinda low key in the Nick Lowe/ Lambchop vein, not twangy at all.<P>What was the twangy thing you played us?<P>Was it even Robbie fulks or were you just winding us up? It seems that nothing either of you say should be believed.

markie

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 05:51:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> it's called an open mind, enjoy it before you return to your normal self again</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I still think your a big girl:<P>1, its your name<BR>2, you didnt go see Jonny Marr<BR>3, you refuse to see Morcheeba.<P>Is that better?

jadetree

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 05:53:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> I still think your a big girl:<P>1, its your name<BR>2, you didnt go see Jonny Marr<BR>3, you refuse to see Morcheeba.<P>Is that better?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>no need to get personal and call me big

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003, 05:53:00 pm »
It's amusing that some of Johnny Marr's guitar work could be considered country oriented if he used less effects pedals.<P>  <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> couples in trouble.<P>Its kinda low key in the Nick Lowe/ Lambchop vein, not twangy at all.<P>What was the twangy thing you played us?<P>Was it even Robbie fulks or were you just winding us up? It seems that nothing either of you say should be believed.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by thirsty moore (edited 01-21-2003).]

markie

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 05:56:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> no need to get personal and call me big</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If I said you were a little girl, you would only end up with half of the boards perverts hiting on you.

markie

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 05:57:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>It's amusing that some of Johnny Marr's guitar work could be considered country oriented if he used less effects pedals.<P>  <P>[This message has been edited by thirsty moore (edited 01-21-2003).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Really, I have never really thought of it. Is there any real difference between rock pop and country guitar?<P>

jadetree

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 05:58:00 pm »
<A HREF="http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=4:57:16|PM&sql=Apen8b5f4psqh" TARGET=_blank>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=4:57:16|PM&sql=Apen8b5f4psqh[/url] <P>Couples in Trouble was Robbie Fulks' first album of new material since that last failed attempt, and while fans hoping for more stuff like "Tears Only Run One Way" or "She Took a Lot of Pills and Died" will be disappointed to learn this album offers practically nothing in the way of a straight (or twisted) country song, it's a far stronger, more ambitious, and more satisfying exploration of the rock and pop sides of Fulks' musical mind than anything he's released to date. Couples in Trouble also offers little in the way of laughs, presenting a fascinating but unrelentingly grim series of vignettes about human relationships gone wrong in a variety of ugly ways; "Real Money" and "Anything for Love" pack the edgy menace of a Jim Thompson novel set to music, "Brenda's New Stepfather" is a truly creepy tale of a teenage girl at the mercy of her mom's lecherous new husband (made all the more troubling by the jazzy swagger of the music), "My Tormentor" is a quietly desperate story of a marriage falling to pieces, and the closest thing to a cheerful up-tempo number, "Mad at a Girl," is an old-school R&B throwback about a guy who, at least for the moment, has decided no one is going to let him forget he hates his significant other. Fulks produced this set himself, and the results are far more adventurous and sonically diverse than Let's Kill Saturday Night at a fraction of the budget; this is the most impressive bit of record-making Fulks has managed to date, and suggests he could have a solid career as a producer if he wants (he's also at the top of his game as a vocalist, never overplaying his hand on material that could easily seem melodramatic). If there's a criticism to be made of Couples in Trouble, it's that the album is a bit cold around the heart, but that's also probably the point; it's been said that the heart goes where it will, and on this album the human heart follows a dozen blind alleys into dangerous places. It ain't always pretty, but it's compelling listening and truly fine music.

Henry Dark

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 05:59:00 pm »
We played you Country Love Songs. I think this snippet from allmusic.com would explain the difference between what we played, and what you got, Couples in Trouble.<P>Robbie Fulks is certainly one of the best songwriters to emerge from the fertile Chicago alt-country scene, but it didn't take long for Fulks to make clear that his creative ambitions went far beyond the clever and cynical retro-twang of his debut album Country Love Songs. Fulks' first (and only) album for Geffen, Let's Kill Saturday Night, found him moving away from explicitly country-accented material in favor of high-bombast roots rock that unfortunately sounded like a deliberate effort to dumb down his material in hopes of scoring a hit. Let's Kill Saturday Night was released shortly before Geffen was swallowed up in a corporate merger, and the album died before it ever had a real chance in the marketplace. Left to his own devices (and recording for his own label), Couples in Trouble was Robbie Fulks' first album of new material since that last failed attempt, and while fans hoping for more stuff like "Tears Only Run One Way" or "She Took a Lot of Pills and Died" will be disappointed to learn this album offers practically nothing in the way of a straight (or twisted) country song, it's a far stronger, more ambitious, and more satisfying exploration of the rock and pop sides of Fulks' musical mind than anything he's released to date.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> couples in trouble.<P>Its kinda low key in the Nick Lowe/ Lambchop vein, not twangy at all.<P>What was the twangy thing you played us?<P>Was it even Robbie fulks or were you just winding us up? It seems that nothing either of you say should be believed.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2003, 05:59:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> If I said you were a little girl, you would only end up with half of the boards perverts hiting on you.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought you were THE board pervert, or maybe just the bored pervert