Author Topic: iPod/iTunes Question #34  (Read 2774 times)

ggw

iPod/iTunes Question #34
« on: May 24, 2005, 12:10:00 pm »
Can I set up separate libraries in iTunes so that I can use multiple iPods on my computer?

jd930

Re: iPod/iTunes Question #34
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 12:12:00 pm »
Not sure, but www.ipodlounge.com is a good resource for info.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
you dont need multiple libraries to use multiple ipods, you can set up multiple playlists that you treat as a library

in ipod options you can choose to:

1- Automatically Update all songs and playlists
 2- Automatically update selected playlists only
 3- Manually manage songs and playlists

just choose number 2 for the ipods and choose the appropriate playlists for each ipod

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 12:18:00 pm »
well it ain't easy at least on the mac... for themac you can use  iTunes Library Manager

haven't tried it on the pc here's a good starting point

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=21729
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 12:35:00 pm »
for winamp users this could be interesting, if as the articule states apples hasn't fixed something already...

ML_pod
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
for all you categorization nerds:

i finally completed a huge project of retagging ~20,000 songs with detailed genre/location info in the "comments" section and it's working fantastically

my problem was that one genre field really can't encompass how i want to search through, listen, and group my music ... so now i just pack as much description as i want to into the "comment" field, and create smart playlists to search the fields

this works best for bands who cross genres or eras, like -- for example -- the beatles.

for "a hard day's night" i have the following tags (most from all music):

* Pop
     * Rock & Roll
     * British Invasion
     * Pop/Rock
     * Merseybeat
     * Britain

for "magical mystery tour" i have:

* Pop
     * British Invasion
     * Psychedelic
     * Pop/Rock
     * British Psychedelia
     * Britain

so i search (through smart playlists) for pretty much any kind of descriptor and come up with a perfect list of my music ... one of the coolest things i've found is listing the band's country/city, then being able to find all scottish bands, or all minneapolis bands, or all DC bands

i'm only about 1/4 of the way through ranking all my tracks, but once that's done it should be incredibly dynamic .... say i wanted to find all my 4+ rated American Underground songs from 1981-1985 from NYC bands, it's all right there

anyway, hope this helps someone, i know when i was first starting this whole thing i couldn't really find a good system out there, but i think this is as good as iTunes can handle
(o|o)

Chip Chanko

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
I just hit refresh on party shuffle until it plays something I like.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  I just hit refresh on party shuffle until it plays something I like.
thats what I'm thinkin...

markie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 01:32:00 pm »
Me and the Lulu have two ipods and we are scared of general grievous' four light sabers so we do what he says. It works fine for us.

ggw

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Miss MArKiE?:
  Me and the Lulu have two ipods and we are scared of general grievous's four inch "light saber" so we do what he says.

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  four inch "light saber"
oh to dream!

markie

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
that would make it like the bread/slicer toaster in hitchikers guide to the galaxy..... Which did use the official Star Wars noise.

Back to topic, I don't know why Kosmo thinks this would not work? Perhaps both his ipods are named, "I heart emusic!"

I have never tried giving the two ipods the same name, my guess is they would both sync the same folder....?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
general gee beat me to the punch... i was looking up linkage based on what i recalled was a method of switching libraries.  never implied his method was incorrect.

but you will have to agree trying to establish two seperate itunes libraries is a pain on a mac under the same user id.  apple assumes people only want one library and thus making it less than obvious how to pull off a switch.
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  general gee beat me to the punch... i was looking up linkage based on what i recalled was a method of switching libraries.  never implied his method was incorrect.

but you will have to agree trying to establish two seperate itunes libraries is a pain on a mac under the same user id.  apple assumes people only want one library and thus making it less than obvious how to pull off a switch.
Who is general gee? A relative of the general lee?

What did the question have to do with switching libraries?

Are you losing it?

Perhaps you should take a nap and then address the topic at hand.....

Does General Grievous have a four inch light saber and is that why he is so grievous?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Can I set up separate libraries in iTunes so that I can use multiple iPods on my computer?
yes you can setup seperate libraries in iTunes in order to accomplish this.  just be aware that depending on what operating system you use, the method in which you can switch between those libraries can be easy, difficult or done via a third party script/program.  

or you can use general grievous's method of using seperate playlists....

or you can totally abandon iTunes and use the winamp plug or  Red Chair software
T.Rex