Author Topic: bloc party on whfs?  (Read 2487 times)

Arthwys

bloc party on whfs?
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:52:00 pm »
I never listen to the radio anymore.  But I was in a friends car tonight, and heard Banquet come over the airwaves on 105.7 HFS.  I was shocked, have they become that popular over here?  I mean, I realise they just sold out 9:30 super quick, but I never expected them to get any mainstream attention.  Not sure if i'm disturbed or happy that they're on hfs.
Emrys

Chip Chanko

Re: bloc party on whfs?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 11:47:00 pm »
i had assumed that the reason they keep selling places out is due to radio airplay. i don't listen to the radio so i can't back this up. but all the sellout shows are non-typical for a newer band like this so it has to be radio/mtv, etc telling people they're hip (especially for that black cat sellout...where did THAT come from?? the others may just be copycat sellouts building on the hype machine).

nomad0186

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 12:22:00 am »
I turned on MTV2 for the first time in over a year today (I barely watch tv at college) and banquet was in some video lineup. I was surprised. I really think its just the fact that the indie music scene is being commodified by shows like the OC in the belief that its another trend. I heard about Bloc Party around the beginning of the year online; can't wait for their 930 set (bought ticks right away).

han

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
i saw bloc party at the black cat a few weeks ago. they sold out that show a month in advance, i couldn't believe it.  i found out why later when i was walking through georgetown.   urban outfitters is selling their album!   that probably explains all the flipped up collars and teenie boppers at the show.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  I never listen to the radio anymore.  But I was in a friends car tonight  
you dont have to lie to make friends.

SalParadise

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 10:44:00 am »
this is like the caveat/disclaimer thread.

not that i mind them...

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
I'll be the first to admit that i loved their songs when i heard them last fall/winter, and since they've sold out all these shows and are all over the place, i wont listen to them anymore.

i hate them now, for now other reason than cause everyone else is drooling on them. and i am not ashamed to admit it.

alex

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
Uh, they are distributed by a major label in the United States, of course they're going to get some radio play and promotion.  Plus from what I hear, the "new" HFS is alot more liberal with their playlist than the one that got shut down recently.

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
Originally posted by alex:
  the "new" HFS is alot more liberal with their playlist than the one that got shut down recently.
its actually listenable usually (though i still prefer the choice of playing what i want, when i want)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
the success of bloc party is no suprise, the buzz in the US was a result of Franz Ferdinand's popularity here. they are on a major label with people pushing the record.  the black cat show soldout because thier real fans got their acts together and bought tickets in a timely fashion. unlike the "real" fans who didn't and thusly missed out.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
Bloc Party has been on Live 105 in SF and KROQ/Indie 103 in LA for sometime now - at least 3 months.
27>34

alex

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 03:26:00 pm »
I was out of town for the Black Cat show.

As far as the new HFS, I can't get it way down here south of the city.

beedubyah

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
 i hate them now, for now other reason than cause everyone else is drooling on them. and i am not ashamed to admit it.
Dumbest reason ever.  (assuming you are serious)

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 04:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by beedubyah:

Originally posted by sonickteam4:
Dumbest reason ever.  (assuming you are serious) [/b]
not really. (i am serious).  after you hear everyone and their mother go on and on about them.....you just dont even wanna hear them anymore.  

i suppose i only had 5 CDs and Silent Alarm was one of them, I would listen to it happily. but seeing as i have plenty of other stuff to listen to, I am done with them.

dumb as you think it is. its the truth.

Arthwys

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 07:45:00 pm »
I tend to play certain bands a lot for a number of weeks, and then leave them be for a while.  Listen to other stuff, so that weeks later, when I go back to them, they sound brilliant all over again.  This works especially well with Led Zeppelin, who I will often not touch for months at a time, and then they sound like gods when I finally put on an album again.  I'm attempting to use this technique on Bloc Party.
Emrys