Author Topic: Man Man Set Times Tomorrow?  (Read 1080 times)

azaghal1981

Man Man Set Times Tomorrow?
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »
Anyone have a rough estimate? Will be my first time at the RNR hotel; do they usually stick to the posted start time?
احمد

Vas Deferens

Re: Man Man Set Times Tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22:00 am »
How was the show? I went to the Soulwax show (less than 100 people attended!) but great light show (where were the LCD Soundsystem and Daft Punk fans last night??, or maybe Soulwax are not popular around here).
(_|_)

tigersscareme

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:25:00 am »
i wussed out.
 poison ivy on my mug +craptastic weather= hermit

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »
Fun times. Place was decently packed. Man Man didn't start until about 11:20 and went a good hour. They played quite a bit of new material which was all really good. I heard that their live sets were high-energy and that was an understatement. They pretty much went at it for a good 50 minutes without stopping to take a breather. King Kong and Jason Simon were also entertaining acts.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
Did they play Banana Ghost?
(_|_)

mrpee

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:03:00 am »
I mean, I think, I did. But I was hoping to be, you know, more clear, more erudite on this fact: at times I felt like I was really watching something amazing and propulsive and happening. And at times I felt like I was being fooled. That the drama class and the school band got together and were having a big laugh at my expense. I dunno. Keep trying, I guess:

PERFORMING ARTS
 Tuesday, April 17, 2007; Page C05

Man Man

Man Man's first victory at the Rock & Roll Hotel Sunday night was simply fitting all its gear onstage. The Philly quintet is sprawling like a junkyard. Its second triumph came in whipping a chunk of the crowd into a good approximation of a frenzy using the same landfill approach: beyond its lauded mix of Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa, Man Man coughed up Eastern Bloc reels, chunks of free jazz and New Orleans strut, flecks of Carl Stalling and Danny Elfman, even a trickle of '70s boogie mavens War.

Clad in their trademark all-white getups, the Man Man men -- selected to open the Modest Mouse tour starting later this month -- attacked their songs like urban savages. Switching instruments and beating and banging (pots, pans, slide whistles, trumpet, sax, mini-bullhorn and a jangling duck were all employed), the quintet veered into dead stops that led to burly chants that dissolved into upper-register, la-la-la trilling. This is a band, after all, whose clearest vocal hook runs "When anything that's anything becomes nothing, that's everything."

Individual tunes -- springs-sprung shifters like "Banana Ghost" and "Engrish Bwudd"; the relatively straightforward "Van Helsing Boombox" -- did surface, but it eventually became clear that the surrounding frenzy was regimented: leader-pianist-singer Honus Honus kept close watch on his cohorts, signaling cues and making sure the nearly nonstop, hour-long set was of a piece. And that made deciding whether Man Man had really scored a victory tricky. Was that dull chest ache at set's end the effect of being rocked hard and swung fast or was it just a skillful art attack?