Author Topic: Buying tickets at the box office?  (Read 3986 times)

gwheathbar

Buying tickets at the box office?
« on: March 24, 2005, 02:04:00 pm »
Are you more likely to get tickets if you buy them at the box office versus trying online?

ZwanzofNever

Re: Buying tickets at the box office?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 06:41:00 pm »
yeah, anyone with experience on this?

moparlang

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 06:47:00 pm »
I've asked a few friends and they're not sure, be nice to know. It would suck to stand in line, get to the window, and hear "sorry,take care"

ZwanzofNever

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:52:00 pm »
Yeah..and given that the tickets will sell out online in less than 3 minutes, people in the lines will be screwed royally. I'm wondering if there is an allotment of "box office" tickets, and/or if people at the box office may be processed before the 5pm time

moparlang

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 06:58:00 pm »
I guess we could call? I'm thinking about being on-line and having someone in-line for me. But, being on-line at noon today, with my high speed connection didn't work, so who knows?

moparlang

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
three times I got to a screen where you type in the "super secret code in the box" number, and it took me to a screen stating "too busy" or "group not available" or whatever it was, too angry to remember

ZwanzofNever

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 07:07:00 pm »
yeah, I got the same thing...was able to type in the generated-number on four different occaisions..no-go each time. I guess it's like winning the lottery...I wouldnt be upset if all tickets ended up in the hands of fans. The only problem I have is when people are reselling the tickets for 3x the value, within minutes, on ebay/craigslist.

andyrichter

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 08:59:00 pm »
If its a show that you know is going to sell out very quickly, going online is the safe bet as tickets usually go on sale at 10AM.  The 930 box office opens at noon so you could be out of look by the time you even get there.  I got my Garbage tickets and bought them online b/c I was hearing it was going to sell out in an hour.  It sold out in 3 hours so I could've bought them at the box office but I wasn't going to take that risk.

ZwanzofNever

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 09:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by andyrichter:
  If its a show that you know is going to sell out very quickly, going online is the safe bet as tickets usually go on sale at 10AM.  The 930 box office opens at noon so you could be out of look by the time you even get there.  I got my Garbage tickets and bought them online b/c I was hearing it was going to sell out in an hour.  It sold out in 3 hours so I could've bought them at the box office but I wasn't going to take that risk.
Aye, but online sales don't start until 5pm... anyways, I get off work at 4pm, so I'll swing by on my way home to see whats up

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 08:00:00 am »
If tickets are really going to sellout in under 5 minutes, chances are good that only the very first person in line at the box office will get anything.  I've never heard of a box office allotment of tickets for the club.  I wouldn't count on that.  I'd say you're better off on-line.

Don't let the presale fool you.  Part of it's purpose is to generate excitement for the show.  Tickets for the Garbage and Interpol presales disappeared just as quickly.  Then tickets were available for hours, if not days, when the real sale happened.

I'm not saying this won't be a tough ticket, but it might not be as tough as you think.

jennifershesaid

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 08:23:00 am »
I don't know if this is true or not but I think the box office might have a separate allocation of tickets.  I went to the box office to get Wilco tickets, got stuck in traffic, and didn't get there until 15-20 minutes after tickets went on sale and still was able to get tickets for both nights.  My friend who was trying from his computer got sold out consitently after the first minute.

easement

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
I think the box office usually has a stack of tickets preprinted. In other words, they aren't pulling from the tickets.com pool.

easement

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
What someone needs to do, is hook up a WiFi connection outside so people with laptops can play both games at the same time.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by easement:
  What someone needs to do, is hook up a WiFi connection outside so people with laptops can play both games at the same time.
Does tickets.com have a phone system? Do all 3, that's true multitasking.