Author Topic: burrito question  (Read 5292 times)

bigyellow100

burrito question
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »
im trying to make some carnitas burritos, but i cannot find those big tortillas...the kind they use in restaurants, chipotle, etc.  i can only find those smaller ones.  ive looked at the big chain supermarkets like trader joes, whole foods, safeway, etc...any suggestions on where i can find those "big" tortillas?  like some latin food specialty stores or some place that makes tortillas fresh?  thanks.

shemptiness

Re: burrito question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »
this is actually a question I've been struggling with for some time as well.  The burritos you find at the supermarket are too small for a really good burrito, and they fall apart too easily.
_\|/_

lukiedookie89

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »
I too, would like to know the answer to this question.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »
I'm sure Whole Foods would have them...
(_|_)

Random Citizen

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »
I've used lavash bread for making wraps and burritos with success. The Whole Foods in Silver Spring definitely sells them. They're in the bread/bakery section.

anarchist

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:09:00 am »
you can never find those things.  you could probably buy some from chipotle or the like.  lavish bread breaks up.  trader joes has it.  i once got a super falafel in sf made with lavish.  lebanese taverna now has super pita bread.  at least 12-14" wide.

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 10:51:00 am »
In Mexico, the price of tortillas has
 soared.  I heard about it this morning.

Mexico's President Felipe Calderon has pledged to intervene to tackle the soaring price of tortillas, the flat corn bread which is a local staple.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:54:00 am »
I go to the 930 for the veggie burritos.
(_|_)

eltee

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »
I went to the Tortilla Factory (restaurant - locations in VA) and bought some for shredded beef burritos we had on Christmas.    :)    They aren't as big as out west (where they sell them at 7-11!), but they are certainly thinner and larger than the ones in the supermarket. We also bought wheat ones, but they were dry and fell apart.
 I would try Mexican stores and/or specialty shops. Actually, most Shopper's Food Warehouses have a huge selection of Mexican and specialty items - check there. Or, as someone mentioned ask a restaurant, they may sell you some. I bet even Baja Fresh would.

K8teebug

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
If you live or are ever in b'more, I highly recommend La Tortillarea on Eastern Ave.  They make them there, and they're amaizeing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »
- i'd check out 11th street around M and N.  betcha a pound of carnitas there is a tienda in those few blocks that has tortillas.  i'm sure there are other hispano-hoods out there with similar offerings, i just happen to know this one.

- the bestest burritos in the world are made by   Anna's in boston.  i've known kids from SoCal who swore that they're better than anything back home.  damn i miss anna's.
<sig>

bigyellow100

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »
thanks for all of your help.  i will definitely check out some of the places you've mentioned, except for baltimore...a little too far!  ill also call up chipotle and other restaurants too see if theyll sell me tortillas.  

ive checked with a lot of the latin food stores around falls church and fairfax without any luck.  they all seem to carry the same small tortillas as the major supermarket chains.  anyway, mission tortillas are my nemesis.  theyre small and theyre not that good.

bigyellow100

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »
thanks for all of your help.  i will definitely check out some of the places you've mentioned, except for baltimore...a little too far!  ill also call up chipotle and other restaurants too see if theyll sell me tortillas.  

ive checked with a lot of the latin food stores around falls church and fairfax without any luck.  they all seem to carry the same small tortillas as the major supermarket chains.  anyway, mission tortillas are my nemesis.  theyre small and theyre not that good.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »
apparently ethanol is to blame in part for the rise in tortilla prices-

Mexico signs deal to hem tortilla costs By IOAN GRILLO, Associated Press Writer
 2 hours, 53 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY - President Felipe Calderon signed an accord with businesses on Thursday to curb soaring tortilla prices and protect Mexico's poor from speculative sellers and a surge in the cost of corn driven by the U.S. ethanol industry. The corn tortilla is the basic staple of the Mexican diet and is especially crucial for the poor. The accord limits tortilla prices to 8.50 pesos ($0.78) per kilogram and threatens to use existing laws to achieve prison sentences of up to 10 years for company officials found hoarding corn. Some stores have been selling tortillas for as much as 10 pesos ($0.91) per kilogram.

It also raises quotas for duty-free corn imports to 750,000 metric tons (826,733 U.S. tons), most of which will come from the United States.

The measure is to be reviewed for possible modifications on April 30.

"The unjustifiable price rise of this product threatens the economy of millions of families," Calderon said. "We won't tolerate speculators or monopolists. We will apply the law with firmness and punish those who take advantage of people's need."

The rise in tortilla prices has been one of the first major challenges for the conservative who took office in December, putting him in an uncomfortable position between the interests of business and those of the poor.

Tortilla prices rose by 14 percent in 2006, more than three times the inflation rate, and they have continued to surge in the first weeks of 2007.

The rise is partly due to U.S. ethanol plants gobbling corn supplies and pushing prices as high as $3.40 a bushel, the highest in more than a decade.

But Calderon also blames price gouging by Mexican middlemen who grind corn into flour and sell it to thousands of tortilla sellers across the nation.

"The increases in the international corn market do not justify the tortilla hikes in this country in the last weeks," Calderon said.

Under the accord, corn flour will be limited to 5 pesos ($0.46) per kilogram and corn itself will not exceed 3.5 pesos ($0.32) per kilogram, which is about the current market price.

The agreement was signed by Mexico's major supermarket chains and bakers, including the world's largest tortilla maker, Monterrey, Mexico-based Gruma SA. It was also signed by associations for thousands of independent tortilla sellers.

Calderon did not specify how the prices would be enforced on vendors.

Lawmakers of the Democratic Revolution Party of leftist Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador had demanded the president impose price controls. Lopez Obrador, who narrowly loss the July election to Calderon, has seized the opportunity to blame the new government for deepening the misery of the poor.
OU812