Author Topic: Juno and other recent flicks  (Read 13820 times)

Re: Juno and other recent flicks
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »
We're going to see that next week. It will be preaching to the alredy converted.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
 [QB] some incredible films ive seen as of late: the business of being born - which is an eye-opener putting sicko to shame (produced by ricki lake - seeing her give birth was a sight to be seen)

930clubber

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 12:19:00 am »
I just Netflixed all of these except the five hour Fanny and Alexander.

I just saw the 2005 movie "Hard Candy."  What a mind-f*  I highly recommend it.

some incredible films ive seen as of late: the business of being born - which is an eye-opener putting sicko to shame (produced by ricki lake - seeing her give birth was a sight to be seen) and the diving bell and the butterfly - which was so beautiful but very hard to sit through.

K8teebug

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 08:52:00 am »
Loved No Country for Old Men and Juno.  Hope to see the Paul Thomas Anderson movie soon.

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Hell yes.  Did you see that production trailer that was up a few months ago?  He actually rips a dude's throat out with his bare hands.  And don't even get me started on him turning the anti-aircraft gun on a guy standing inches away.  

It might have been the most violent 3 minutes I've ever seen.  Glorious!

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  The promo for Rambo shows him punching a dude's head off. That's all I need to know.
[/b]
I did see that trailer, and all of my cynicism and skepticism vanished. As soon as I saw it, I forwarded it to about a dozen people in the office, and within 5 minutes, the echoed rattle of chainguns and heads being punched off filled the hallways.
oword

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by 930clubber:

Maybe that's why I never warmed to "Juno."  I looked at Ellen Page and kept thinking "that's that creepy girl from 'Hard Candy'."  "Hard Candy" is very disturbing.  A "To Catch a Preditor" gone horribly wrong.  It's "Audition"/"The Vanishing" disturbing.

Brian

ggw

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 10:58:00 am »
I recently discovered that Kumar is from my hometown.  

07043 -- reprezentin'....

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 11:08:00 am »
  some incredible films ive seen as of late: the business of being born - which is an eye-opener putting sicko to shame (produced by ricki lake - seeing her give birth was a sight to be seen)
You know what Ricki Lake should do a documentary on?  "Men who married you when you were fat, cried all the time, blamed everybody else and had living nightmare self-esteem issues but then got dumped when you lost a metric ton, felt "sexy" and adopted a "You Go Girl!" mentality."  

She could interview Carnie Wilson....

Brian

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 11:22:00 am »
Ricki lost most of her weight before she got married.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
Yeah, but she ballooned back up again...
  Fat, thin, that dude stuck with her!  Now, that she's "thin permanently" she kicks the guy to the curb?  WTF?  Face it, honey, you pork up again, you won't even be able to get John Mayer's number.

Brian

Darth Ed

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  I really really really need to see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.  Every time I went to go see it in the last couple of weeks, it was sold out.  It looks awesome.
I saw this last Friday and was very impressed. I didn't go to the theater with the intention of seeing it, but The Orphanage was sold out and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was the only noteworthy movie that I hadn't seen yet. I've very glad I did see it. The POV technique was very well done.

Even though I'm a fan of PTA, I wasn't all that crazy about There Will Be Blood. I never really developed a connection to any of the characters, so I was emotionally detached for much of the film's more powerful moments. I found the film somewhat uninvolving as a result. Daniel Day-Lewis gave a fantastic performance though.

Juno was fun, but I couldn't help comparing it (unfavorably) to last year's Knocked Up by Judd Apatow.  You might not think so, but I feel that Knocked Up is a much better film overall. Certainly funnier, but I think it's richer thematically as well. Maybe I just relate to it more because they are adults in Knocked Up, as opposed to high school students in Juno. Juno is definitely worth seeing though. Ellen Page is a rock star, and the dialogue has that hyper-literate "Gilmore Girls" quality that I typically enjoy.

I consider No Country for Old Men to be the best film of 2007. 'Nuff said.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »
eeew, maybe I won't bother with the dvd after all.

Originally posted by Darth Ed:
   and the dialogue has that hyper-literate "Gilmore Girls" quality that I typically enjoy.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
I liked "Zodiac."  And I haven't even seen the newly released Director's Cut.  And since there's no nudity in it, I probably never will.  I love Fincher, though.

It's only January 17th, but I'm going to be hard pressed to find any film in 2008 that entertains me more than the Tom Cruise/Scientology videos.

Brian

930clubber

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »
I haven't had the pleasure of that creepy Ellen Page feeling in Juno yet.  What distinguishes Hard Candy from the Vanishing or Audition is the bright modern setting of the former, which is contrary to the classical atmospherics of genre inhabited by the latter two movies.  There's also more mind game intrigue in HC.

Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

Originally posted by 930clubber:

Maybe that's why I never warmed to "Juno."  I looked at Ellen Page and kept thinking "that's that creepy girl from 'Hard Candy'."  "Hard Candy" is very disturbing.  A "To Catch a Preditor" gone horribly wrong.  It's "Audition"/"The Vanishing" disturbing.

Brian [/b]

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Hell yes.  Did you see that production trailer that was up a few months ago?  He actually rips a dude's throat out with his bare hands.  And don't even get me started on him turning the anti-aircraft gun on a guy standing inches away.  

It might have been the most violent 3 minutes I've ever seen.  Glorious!

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  The promo for Rambo shows him punching a dude's head off. That's all I need to know.
[/b]
I'm sure you have to retire from the military at around 50years old, isn't Rambo pushing 70 at this point?

If anybody wants to see a nice light movie then I recommend "The Waterhorse" I took my 5 year old and really enjoyed it.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

some incredible films ive seen as of late: the business of being born - which is an eye-opener putting sicko to shame (produced by ricki lake - seeing her give birth was a sight to be seen)
You know what Ricki Lake should do a documentary on?  "Men who married you when you were fat, cried all the time, blamed everybody else and had living nightmare self-esteem issues but then got dumped when you lost a metric ton, felt "sexy" and adopted a "You Go Girl!" mentality."  

She could interview Carnie Wilson....

Brian [/b]
I'd puke watching a movie of Ricki Lake 'getting pregnant' let alone giving birth.