Author Topic: The Shins - Wincing the Night Away  (Read 23952 times)

shtee223

Re: The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2007, 11:33:00 pm »
I thought the show was fun - the band sounded amazing, much better than i expected.

crevers

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »
Dinner @ Kaz Sushi Bistro = B
 Viva Voce = C-
 Shins = B+

Opener was average...best part was hearing them announce their album title, "Get Your Blood Sucked Out."  The Shins were good, not great.  Crowd banter was awful.  Highlight was "Gone For Good," played up-tempo and sounding like a long lost Old 97's song.

bearman🐻

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »
I thought Viva Voce were horrible...thought the Shins were really great, not phenomenal but it was a solid show. It was kind of interesting to hear slightly different arrangements for songs like "New Slang". Would have loved to hear "One By One All Day" and "Pink Bullets", but heard everything else I wanted to hear. The crowd was a bit too chatty during songs, but the sound was better than I had anticipated. Definitely glad I saw them again.

yohansen5b

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »
the shins sounded way, way better than i expected.  i really enjoyed the show!  there were still seats to be had in the "obstructed view" seats where i was (really, though, i thought the seats were pretty money).  i liked the first few minutes of viva voce but lost it half way through.

bearman🐻

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »
Oh yeah, loved the Modern Lovers cover of "Someone I Care About". That was a nice surprise.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2007, 12:18:00 am »
over-all, a slightly below-average outing for me.  in hindsight, i might have skipped tonight - but that might be a function of all the really really good shows i've seen recently.

viva voce were downright unlistenable.  when the singer/guitarist came out to do backup vocals during the shins set, my girlfriend exclaimed "so THAT's why they had the opening slot - she must be sleeping with someone in the shins!".  for some reason it made sense at the time, maybe you had to be there.

the shins were indeed good, talented as all f*ck (various/alternate arrangements were indeed interesting), but not much of a live show.  dear 930 board - mea culpa.  you tried warning me, but i ignored you... i paid the price: $80 for a so-so show, money that would have been better spent on numerous other outings.  they didn't do much with the large stage that they were given - little moving around, little in the way of a light show, etc.   the impression that i left the show with: one of the larger gulfs between what fans thought of the band/expected of them; and what they delivered.  it was indeed a very chatty crowd and energy wasn't consistent.  i'd give the shins' performance a 6 out of 10.  i recognize that after  the dismal opening act, i might have been a lost cause.

in the past, i've been one to defend the sound at DAR.  but after this show and last friday's (chuck brown + the roots), i'm starting to come around.  maybe it has everything to do with the techie behind the board, but DAR can indeed sound less than stellar.  a learning experience all around.
<sig>

obildy

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2007, 12:36:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
    i'd give the shins' performance a 6 out of 10.  
I'm about there with you...  I'd rate it a little bit higher, given their song catalogue, they can't go wrong.  I would have liked to hear a lot more off their new album.  I believe they only played three (the first three songs of their set.)  They sounded pretty good, but given the venue I feel the show was less than intimate.  I saw them at Black Cat which was amazing and open for the White Stripes at Merriweather which was a short set but they made it count.  I sat the entire show in the uppers, so this show was a lot different for me.  

Anyone know what the first encore cover song was?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2007, 12:47:00 am »
i thought it was a fine show, obviously a complete 180 from the last time i saw them at a completely oversold, sweaty and smokey black cat ... this was the first time i've been to a "sit down" show in a while, and it kinda sapped a lot of my energy (especially after a long weekend)

a couple of observations:  james mercer is no longer one of the most awkward frontmen ever, he takes center stage now, has a muted spotlight on him, and actually talked a bit between songs ... marty crandall is still more dumb than he is funny ... i was really happy with the setlist, pretty much all the old stuff i wanted to hear with a couple of the good songs on the new album (i was dreading one of those "all of the new album and a couple of old chestnuts in the encore" shows) ... we were sitting out in the lobby and people-watching while quaffing $6 12-oz amstel light cans and there were a lot more pleated khakis and baseball hats than leggings and ironic t-shirts

maybe it was just our section but i thought it was REALLY LOUD ... ears still ringing a bit
(o|o)

BookerT

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2007, 01:14:00 am »
the shins are a pretty good band, but they've sort of outgrown their usefulness as a live act. they aren't bad by any means, they just aren't that interesting. they're not gonna front and be full of fake energy, and that's cool, they just get up there and play solid versions of their solid songs. for $10 at the black cat that's fine, but it just doesn't seem worth $30 and dealing with DAR and the people that go to DAR. marty really reminds of some annoying chris parnell character (is there really any other kind?) and the guitarist looks like joe rogan doing a peter buck impression. for a while i thought the shins could be on their way to being the next REM, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. i, too, was glad to hear lots of older stuff -- that new record is really kinda sucky, no? good band, glad people like them, still a bit surprised why they resonate so deeply with so many people. it can't all be beacuse of "garden state," can it?

for what it's worth, i got a kick out of viva voce, but i really like their last album. it was pretty funny to see some sorta-hippieish husband/wife duo from portland playing a song called "we do not fuck around" complete with double neck guitar (aka "those guitars, that are like, double guitars, you know?") to a completely disinterested, half-filled audience at daughters of the american revolution hall.

starrdogg92

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2007, 01:55:00 am »
Shins Setlist (may be slightly off, please add amendments if it is):

Sleeping Lessons
 Australia (not 100% on this)
 Pam Berry into --->
 Phantom Limb
 Kissing the Lipless
 Mine's Not a High Horse
 Girl Inform Me
 Girl on the Wing (slowed down)
 New Slang
 Saint Simon
 Girl Sailor (not 100% on this)
 Turn a Square
 Gone for Good
 A Comet Appears
 Know Your Onion
 Caring Is Creepy

Encore:
 Someone I Care About (Modern Lovers cover)
 So Says I

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2007, 06:40:00 am »
I tend to agree that the Shins were okay but far from terrific. I agree with the comment that they made their opening slot at Meriwether count for more than last nights performance, but I liked the band's overall enthusiasm.

I thought the setlist was pretty good too.

Could've done without the kid in front of me who was trying to record about half of every song on his camera.

nkotb

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2007, 07:58:00 am »
Worst version of "Girl On A Wing" ever?  I think so.

I tend to agree with most everyone here.  I definitely think they're coming into their own a bit as a live band; like someone said, Mercer was fairly confident front & center, and Hernandez showed he had some (slight awkward) rock star chops in a live setting.

Still, I feel like they just don't know what to do with some of their songs.  No one will deny that "New Slang" is one of the best indie songs to come out this decade, but the live version is boring to tears.

Overall though, it was a fun night.  When they were on, they were ON.  Most of the songs from the first disc were terrific, and it was nice to hear the newer songs side by side.  Still, I think this is probably the last time I'd see the Shins live.

gloriaabortion

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2007, 08:25:00 am »
Wow, did I go to the same show you guys did?  I really liked the opener, although some jams lasted a bit too long.  I thought The Shins were great.  Probably the best show I've been to this year.

Summerteeth

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2007, 09:47:00 am »
I didn't go, but is this Band-Aid from Viva Voce who sang backup for the Shins the same who was on SNL?

allmy$to930

« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2007, 10:05:00 am »
I thought last night's show was great.

I heard two songs from the opener and then left to go get another $6 can of beer. Who would have thought to bring earplugs to a Shins show?

I really enjoyed the Shins. I thought the arrangements and the setlist were very strong (I would have liked to hear Pink Bullets, though). I left with the feeling that if the show had been at the 9:30 Club I would have been blown away. I think the venue strips some of the life out of the music. My section of the crowd (Sec R) was pretty quiet. I have pretty low expectations when I go to DAR and that might have skewed my impression of the show. Low expectations are the key to happiness in life.

Overall: A-