Author Topic: Drive By Truckers: Roll Call  (Read 23292 times)

Re: Drive By Truckers: Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2003, 05:10:00 pm »
Anybody have any idea about set times? The show is listed as 8:30 on the Cat's website, but obviously the openers won't go on until later...

Chuy

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2003, 05:27:00 pm »
Anyone know if this show is sold out?  Cat's website says nothing, but Ticketbastard says no tix available.

jadetree

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
I just called the Black Cat, they said there are still lots of tickets available.  It is probably just to close to the show to buy them from ticketmaster.

Chuy

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2003, 05:39:00 pm »
Eh?

Ohhhh, you used the telephone.  I get it.

Great news, thanks.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2003, 08:41:00 am »
Well, the Immortal Lee County Killers II were all I could have hoped for and more. They fucking rocked. I made the obvious mistake of thinking they were from Detroit but I think they may hail from Alabama? Bought the latest album and it is fantastic also. How kick ass was the drummer??

By the way, Kosmo, I think they are called ILCK2 because this is the second drummer and so a new incarnation of the band. Just a theory.

Celeste

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2003, 09:47:00 am »
Well, I guess we all have our own tastes! My friend loved them, too, but I found them unlistenable (if that's a word)

The Truckers DID rock and put on a heck of a show, but I, for one, can take only so much of them. Hard-working, talented bunch of fuckers, though...

Venerable Bede

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2003, 09:53:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
 [QB] I made the obvious mistake of thinking they were from Detroit but I think they may hail from Alabama?
they hail from auburn, alabama (WAR EAGLE!)

that was a marathon performance last night. . .the only thing i can compare that show to would be a gbv show, but with more guitar solos.  i thought it was a fantastic show. . .all 2 1/2 hours of it.
OU812

saco

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2003, 09:59:00 am »
I agree. Great show, but then again the truckers ALWAYS put on a great show.  Very happy I made the effort to get there early to see the killers too.  

And thanks again Eddie.

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2003, 10:36:00 am »
I liked the punchy rockers, but was a bit bored by the bluesy ballads. "Shut and and Get on the Plane", "Let There Be Rock", and "People Who Died" combined to make it work the price of admission.

The opening band was reason enough to visit the Red Room. Thanks for the root beer, Lulu.

I must say that I can with certaintly say that I prefer the Truckers pals/labelmates Slobberbone over the Truckers. Reasons why:

1. Slobberbone channels Neil Young, the Truckers channel Skynard.

2. Slobberbone's lyrics are far superior.

3. Slobberbone is nicer to look at.

Very much looking forward to seeing Slobberbone again next Tuesday...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2003, 10:50:00 am »
i too liked the up tempo stuff from drive by truckers... the alternating between fast and slow was wearing a bit thin by the end of the evening.  they certainly have released a lot of new material since i saw them last in 2000.  i only recognized three or four songs out of the whole 2.5 set.  will have to pickup of the southern rock opera discs.  i was disappointed by the lack of storytelling by Patterson and missed their old guitar player who looked like he came straight from deliverance country and sang all the low harmonies.  good show could have used a slightly tighter setlist.  and a tip of the hat to eddie as well.
T.Rex

Venerable Bede

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2003, 11:00:00 am »
yeah, "people who died" was not a cover song that i was expecting.
OU812

ggw

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2003, 12:30:00 pm »
I thought the Immortal Lee County Killers were....erm...killer.  The White Stripes on meth.  Much better live than on the album, which is good, but lacks the spastic energy of the live show.

DBT were a lot of fun.  Much better than the Molly Hatchet show I saw at Jaxx a few months ago.

walkman

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2003, 02:32:00 pm »
I thought the Killers were great...much better than I expected.  The Truckers, on the other hand, put on an extremely bloated show.  An hour and a half would have been PLENTY.  That being said, they're all extremely likable performers, and they do write good songs.

TheNomad

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
Truckers Rule!!!  Thought it rocked.  Wasn't expecting such a long show but I'll never complain about that.  More time to drink beer.

Wondering if their encore opening Queen cover is a regular occurence or if they ad libbed it?  Because if it was go with the flow to the DBT chant, then that is very cool.

Wish I was going to Philly for Saturday's show.

grotty

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2003, 04:41:00 pm »
Just got back from making the trek down...loved the show. I figured that that was the 9th time I've seen DBT & that show was definitely near the top.

I think the length of the show was kind of a reward for the good crowd. They really looked like they were SO appreciative and having a good time.

The encore break improv was very cool - never saw them do it before - just seemed like Patterson picked up on the beat and ran with it.
 And then the song with ILCK was cool in a weird kind of way - the drummer prowling around the stage with his chains like he was the ghost of Xmas past. That dude needed a shower bad - he was dancing with his girl right beside me & I had to make a get-away.

Rhett - I couldn't disagree more about DBT vs Slobberbone. I really like them both, but forced to choose I'd take DBT anyday. Check out the lyrics on the new record - they're classic - very intelligent & witty. It's one of the main reasons I like them so much.

And Slobberbone being "nicer to look at"?! The bass player looks like an anorexic Grizzly Adams.