Author Topic: X...Still so Great...how HOT was...  (Read 5220 times)

Paranoid Android

X...Still so Great...how HOT was...
« on: June 15, 2003, 05:35:00 am »
Billy Zoom?!? He was so cool...playing and winking at all the gals up front...Xzene was pretty cool to...she was pretty pissed of at the sound however...I was the first ( of 2 ) she even let touch her...I kissed her hand...John Doe was Handsome as ever...looked beteer that he did a few years back...played fiercly and looked great!! DJBB pounded them skins like the tribal sessions were now to come to order...over all the show was a 9.5...thoughts?

thirsty moore

Re: X...Still so Great...how HOT was...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 11:05:00 pm »
Yes, it was a great show.  It sounded like Zoom's guitar was drowning out the vocals a bit though.  Zoom didn't even break a sweat.  His smile was a bit creepy though...

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 11:12:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
   Zoom didn't even break a sweat.  His smile was a bit creepy though...
Tell me about it.  He liked Smackette a lot - followed her to the ladies room to give her a hug.  Freaked her out a bit, but she did get the guitar pick off his forehead, so she's got that going for her.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 11:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Paranoid Android:
  John Doe was Handsome as ever...looked beteer that he did a few years back...played fiercly and looked great!!
I thought John Doe looked as young as I'd ever seen him.  Amazing how that guy withstood time, unlike the rest of them.
27>34

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 11:22:00 am »
My favorite bit from that show was during Los Angeles.  Right after ..she had to leave... I heard the whole crowd scream in unison with Exene... LOS ANGELES!

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 02:32:00 pm »
Getting to hear "Devil Doll" was definitely a highlight for me...great show! I was actually happy to hear only 70 minutes of music but hear some of their best songs as opposed to a bunch of other stuff that I wouldn't have enjoyed quite as much.  All the stuff from Los Angeles sounded amazing, even "The Unheard Music".  Billy Zoom just flat out ROCKS.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 02:48:00 pm »
I read that Billy Zoom is a born again Christian and he is touring with X to make $$ to start his own Christian record label. God bless him!

jadetree

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I read that Billy Zoom is a born again Christian and he is touring with X to make $$ to start his own Christian record label. God bless him!
http://www.billyzoom.com/niceguy.html

emmy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 04:54:00 pm »
I thought he was great... felt kind of like I was watching Christopher Walken though.  creepy.

emmy

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 04:58:00 pm »
Oh weird, I swear I didn't read the Christopher Walken comparison in that article until just now.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by emmy:
  I thought he was great... felt kind of like I was watching Christopher Walken though.  creepy.
Smackette said the same thing Sat night - "He's creepy in a Christopher Walken kind of way.  come to think of it he looks like walken."  I had read that article and told her to read it.
27>34

naniwa

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 08:44:00 am »
I agree -- John looked fabulous. (The Post didn't think so, but....) Amazing show, all oldies, and I really noticed how many people were old and married. (OK, so I'm not married...)

What a sound. Still high days later.

thirsty moore

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2003, 09:54:00 am »
Does someone have the link to the X review?

ggw

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2003, 10:08:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Does someone have the link to the X review?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63067-2003Jun15.html

X

From their beginnings as punks spouting seamy Los Angeles poetry and ending with a bohemian shakedown of Americana, X's heyday from 1978 to 1983 is one of the more vital times in the past quarter-century of this country's music. The original quartet -- John Doe, Exene Cervenka, Billy Zoom and D.J. Bonebrake -- had begun to fall apart by the time 1985's "Ain't Love Grand" was released, but they began playing together again in 1998, and recent expanded CD reissues of the first four albums have kindled cross-generational X interest. Currently on one of the longest treks since its reformation, the band received rapturous attention and adoration at the packed 9:30 club Saturday night, and its confident, careening 75-minute performance was entirely deserving of it.

Appearing just a bit longer in the tooth (except for the 55-year-old Zoom, who has always looked strangely ageless), the elements that equaled X were gloriously in place from the opening bars of "Your Phone's off the Hook, but You're Not": Doe and Cervenka's raw harmonies, Zoom's Chuck Berry-cum-Johnny Ramone guitar, Bonebrake's popping drums. And from the the stinging gutter swipe of "Johnny Hit and Run Paulene" to the haunting "White Girl" to the surging twang of "The New World," X hurled the music as though it was more than just a revival trip. Of course it was, but when confronted by the mash of raw poetry and punk in songs like "The World's a Mess; It's in My Kiss" and "We're Desperate," Saturday's show could only seem like a distinct pleasure that made X's art a little more palpable.

-- Patrick Foster

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2003, 08:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
I was directly in front of Billy and was getting destroyed by the volume of his custom amp!! He had  a "Jesus" sticker on the bottom of the cabinet. Fuckin' GREAT show just like the last time they were in town....damn near did all of "Los Angeles" and "Wild Gift"......love to hit the road and follow them around for a while.......was talking with Billy Z after the show........I was talking......he just smiled and maybe? acknowledged me......it was wierd to say the least......I give it a 9 out of 10......the show that is......not the convo with Billy....