Author Topic: Album Releases this week  (Read 3179 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Album Releases this week
« on: January 23, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »
what a week!  i'm too lazy to post them all, but some really good stuff released today
(o|o)

bellenseb

Re: Album Releases this week
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »
Lists, links and mp3s:

Prefix

Largehearted Boy

&

indiefolkforever

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »
I'm still catching up on my Tower Records purchases. Please don't tell me they're releasing even more music!

I'm beginning to think there is such a thing as having too much music. And I'm getting close. I plan on being very, very picky in buying new music this year.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »
rhett, have you heard The Broken West's debut?  just DLed it from emusic and giving it a first listen, sounds really good so far...

horrible band name tho
(o|o)

bellenseb

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »
You mean the Broken West?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »
beat you to it!
(o|o)

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »
Hoya, just got a Paste sampler with a Broken West song on it. It sounded fairly promising. I'll have to check out more, thanks.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »
it looks like the Of Montreal album is the logical next download for this week ...
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »
hmmm got a great Broken West story for the class...

Got a copy of the new Broken West CD via yesterday  via lala which of course didn't get released until today.  As one would expect it's not the retail version of the album.   The disc label is whats making me grin at the moment, as someone at the record label took the time to take a Sharpie to the CD in order to write over the band name originally printed.  

The Broken West, formerly known as The Brokedown, got a cease and desist letter from some hack punk band known as the Brokedowns and instead of spending the money to fight the lawsuit opted to change their name.  The name change must have come about between the time The Broken West signed to Merge and the non retail version of the CDs pressed up.  As you can clearly see where it use  to say The Brokedown underneath the Sharpied Broken West.   It's a shame it got Sharpied as it could have been a collectors item

I'm still absorbing the record, but like the 60s  pop vibe complete with jangling guitars and vintage keyboard sounds. It's good but not as much as the Brokedown EP released last year, it also appears the guy who played pedal steel on that EP is no longer with the group. At this point I'd recommend it to people who like Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" and early Bangles.
T.Rex

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »
I'm glad the Post chose to enlighten us on the new John Mellancamp album!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »
I downloaded the new Deerhoof and Of Montreal early this morning  :p
(_|_)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »
that wasn't just "the Post", it was Allison Stewart!!  think it's the MTV Allison Stewart??
(o|o)

eros

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »
Isn't the MTV Allison Stewart on NBC now?  I catch her every now and then on the Today show.
ʎɐʍou

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »
She sometimes writes for the Post. I've often wondered if it's the MTV person.

jbcapati

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
New albums by Field Music and Kristin Hersh are available on eMusic, as well as the new single from Camera Obscura ("If Looks Could Kill").  She mentioned that it would be the new single during the show last night.