Author Topic: Roll Call: Wizards vs. Suns  (Read 11366 times)

BookerT

Re: Roll Call: Wizards vs. Suns
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »
y'all are stuck with 5-year old NBA stereotypes. it's a new era -- lebron, dwyane, gilbert, yao, dwight howard, etc. and the only drugs the guys are on are the good kinds we used to do in college. and there's not really that much turnover, any team that wants to keep its superstars have the system working in its favor to do so. and with that i'm off to the verizon center.

ggw

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »
the only drugs the guys are on are the good kinds we used to do in college.
'shrooms and nitrous???

Venerable Bede

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »
are they calling travelling yet?
OU812

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »
I was lucky enough to sit in a box at half court last night for the Nuggets/Griz Melo returns game.  Seeing A.I. throw up that high alleyoop to Melo made me about as happy as if I had been trasported back to McNichols Arena in 1986 seeing Fat Lever throw an assist to Alex English while Doug Moe sports a brillant brown coat and tie on the sidelines.

jbcapati

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »
Actaully, the refs have been cracking down on palming the basketball, and I've seen more traveling calls this year.  But the rules are still geared toward the free-flowing up-and-down style of basketball at which both the Suns and Wiz excel.

Shadrach

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »
I was off the NBA for several years, mostly because I thought the game was no longer what it used to be. Now I have a new appreciation for the style and pace of today's game. The players can be too flashy and arrogant, but there's no questioning their skill. Itâ??s all about the fourth quarter in the NBA.

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »
No, they're not calling travelling yet and 85% of the "plays" are still isolation for the teams best scorer....
27>34

myuman

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »
Amen to Vansmack.... My issues with the NBA go more to Basketball as a whole... I was watching the end of Marquette/Pitt the other day... phantom call at the end.  Gift wrapped it to Marquette.  The coach was lipping "A (darn)shame"...  So that is what 40 minutes comes down to?  But the whole game seems to me to be built around the "in the area" calls.  Your name is Johnson, Jordan, Bird, James and you drive the lane... the whistle is a blowin'... automatic.  And back when I played, pick up your dribble: one step.  Do us all a favor and just do away with dribbling altogether.  I'm sick of watching Lebron pick up his dribble halfway between the time line and the three point line and run over someone only to get a blocking foul and the basket.  Then on the next possession someone gets called for shuffling their feet while passing... I just don't see the validity in it all.. and I wish I could, because I like to play it... but watching it-that's another story.

BookerT

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »
well, i'm glad that only cost me $10. if you think the NBA is all iso, you ain't watching the suns.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »
If you're not watching Nash play, you're missing something special.

shemptiness

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »
Check out a cool Nash video here.  

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 12:02:00 am »
so i'm at the georgetown game tonight and i see arenas just sitting there 30 ft away from me holding one of those foam fingers in between a couple of groups of 20-something gtown alumni guys wearing t-shirts

can you imagine if kobe bryant or kevin garnett or shaq just sat down next to you at a college basketball game without some kind of crew along with him??

gilbert arenas is hilarious, such an eccentric guy for a superstar
(o|o)

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
Nash and Nowitzki should have been voted all star starters. Why weren't they? I say racism.

mrpee

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »
The starters are simply a test of who --or whose PR lackeys-- can mobilize their fanbase best : Gilbert had a lot of help from Vitiman Water in his surge past Carter. But he certainly deserved to be a starter. I think you'll agree that Garnett doesn't deserve to start ahead of Nowitzki nor Shaq ahead of anybody. In any case, Dirk will probably start at Center for the West, since Yao most likely won't play. An argument certainly could be made for Nash ahead of Wade.  Anyway, it's who's named as reserves -- Josh Howard certainly is worthy of a nod, as is Shawn Marion. Beyond that, I'm curious to see if Iverson is picked in the West. Caron Butler must be on the team.

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »
I think you mean Nash ahead of McGrady, not Nash ahead of Wade.