Author Topic: hello Idlewild posse  (Read 25632 times)

Bags

Re: hello Idlewild posse
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2003, 06:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Originally posted by walkman:

not sure what i'll be wearing, but kosmette will be carrying her red purse with monkee's single in it... i'll have copies of my "where the action is" mix cds of 60's garage and soul classics too
Are these the kind of copies that I can have one of? [/b]
yes you can, will you be at the show tonight?  if it's not too late we may be in the back bar briefly.

and the purse was designed to hold a 45 single on the outside.  right now it's got a Monkee's single because Kosmette digs them.  in the past she's put in a waxwing's single for instance.  it's a very kwel purse if ya ask me   :cool:  [/b]
Oh man, that is so damn cool!  Both the purse *and* the Monkees single.  I am green with envy.

What single is it?  Oh please, not "Valerie"!?!

walkman

« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2003, 06:19:00 pm »

Originally posted by walkman:

not sure what i'll be wearing, but kosmette will be carrying her red purse with monkee's single in it... i'll have copies of my "where the action is" mix cds of 60's garage and soul classics too
Are these the kind of copies that I can have one of? [/b]
yes you can, will you be at the show tonight?  if it's not too late we may be in the back bar briefly.

and the purse was designed to hold a 45 single on the outside.  right now it's got a Monkee's single because Kosmette digs them.  in the past she's put in a waxwing's single for instance.  it's a very kwel purse if ya ask me   :cool:  [/b]
Sounds excellent.  I'll be on the lookout for the purse, as I don't think we've met yet...I should be the kid in the black Mooney Suzuki t-shirt, if my dryer decides to cooperate.

Bags

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2003, 06:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:

Originally posted by bags:

Originally posted by Fico:

Since March, the last time Fico thought there was a decent show, we're talking

The Datsuns - Horribly average
 Soundtrack of our Lives - Good
 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - utter shite, Hype and nothing else
 Hot Hot Heat, Cursive, The Notwist - Never listened to them
 Cheap Trick - Proper Power Pop
 Ataris - unkwon to me, aren't they mallpunk?
 Longwave, Fountains of Wayne - quite decent, not worth much getting bothered about..
 Pearl Jam w/ Buzzcocks - brilliant (being at Nissan didn't go)
 Guided by Voices - tiresome and average live
 Raveonettes - NME posterchilds, mediocre

Brendan Benson, Ash, The Oranges Band, Bob Mould at Fort Reno. - Only know Ash which I'm upset about missing, the same for Jonny Marr
 [/b]
My band should be taking shape by early autumn, we are going to be the best band in DC by far. [/b]
My whole point was that it's interesting how different people perceive whehter it's been a good couple of months or not based on their own tastes, which frankly I'm a little tired of folks judging.  I don't give a crap that you think Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Raveonnettes are not worthy.  I never said they were my favorite bands or that I even own the albums, but the shows were fun, I enjoyed them and so I think it was a fun spring for shows.

Oy.  I don't think I've ever said someone's musical tastes are wrong (okay, maybe to some deadheads, but come on, they think Jerry is GOD); sure I'll say I found a show lacking energy or the band overly derivative (though as we know, everything is derivative).  That's an explanation as to why I like them or not, so that if I make some other band recommendation, you can kind of figure whether you'd agree with me or not based on what you've learned of my tasets.

I hope to hell your band is FANTASTIC and puts on an AMAZING, PERFECT show, because you're obviously ready for some pretty intense judgements, based on your own m.o.

[Sorry I harshed, but there seems to have been a lot of "you're wrong"s on the boards lately.  Maybe Fico read me as judging him as wrong by listing bands I saw; that wasn't my intent.  Okay, I'm going home to have more beer than I thought I would before the Put Outs.]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2003, 06:50:00 am »
first up the single on display these days is an orginial Monkee singles of "The Girl I knew somewere b/w A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You"...

secondly,  Idlewild roolz!  At Fletchers they were WOW!, last night they were WOW!!! turned up to 11.  Clearly enjoying the larger 9:30 club stage the band had more energy and fire than earlier in the year.  The audience was way into them as well, heads were seen bobbing as far back as the eye could see.  The bands sense of dynamics was spine tingling... Being able to explode from the quiet bits superb.  It's too bad Idlewild don't sell bootlegs ala Pearl Jam, cause I'd love one from that show.

I very glad that the Put-Outs were able to get on the bill for this show, having not seen them live since the summer of 1999 when they were still a three piece.  For a group that hasn't done many live shows of late, the band was certainly at the top of their game. Would have liked to hear a couple more of their familar older songs, but the new stuff with added viola were fab.  Lets hope they can quickly find someone to release it...

I will have to say that I hope the Put-Outs gained some new fans last night.   Maybe a Idlewild audience is more receptive to "unknown" bands, because the Put-Outs seem to win over and gain the audience attention.  I think that an audience attending a show (i.e. Pete Yawn) in order to socialize is more likely to ignore an support act they've never heard of.  Where as when the is audience is ready to rock out as was the case last night, the worthy lesser known warmup act gets the respect of the audience.  

Does anyone know if the Put-Outs were using a subsitute bass player for the gig?  And will Tim be rejoining the band once he done doing the roadie gig?

Last and very lest LaGuardia... These boys need to be introduced to a bar of soap, and as long as they weren't singing the group was fine.  His voice was even  more whinier and shrill than Billy Corgans   :(
T.Rex

lily1

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2003, 07:05:00 am »
how could the put outs not gain more fans? that was an impressive set. they deserve their own gig at the black cat.

idlewild was fantastic. i didn't catch them at fletchers so this was my first time. so charismatic on stage.

and hello to everyone. lovely to see you all again. happy birthday poorlulu!

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2003, 09:16:00 am »
Well, as you all know, I've seen Idlewild multiple times, and that is one of the best shows I've ever seen them do.  I think there were about 18 songs? Which is an incredibly long set for them. I got to hear two songs that I've never seen live and always wanted to hear. (The last two of the encore.) Kick ass show! You all should have come down to the afterparty in the Backbar. The band members were mingling and were excited about the show as well. They like DC and it showed.

poorlulu

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2003, 09:22:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
   You all should have come down to the afterparty in the Backbar. The band members were mingling and were excited about the show as well. They like DC and it showed.
i knew they would..........but i was just so tired last night......we've been out every night for about a week now.........phew

i'll settle for meeting them before anyway..................it's so passe.

paige

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2003, 09:27:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:

you mean FIN, birthday girl  :)  it's fin.

poorlulu

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2003, 09:37:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:

you mean FIN, birthday girl   :)   it's fin. [/b]
nope ..........
 i never thought you'd be a groupie because autographs are so passe............what they say.....
 i thought you'd go and see the band and then just leave in an orderly way.................  :p

malkmess

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2003, 09:42:00 am »
the put-outs have been using bill mercer as their new bassist because their original bassist is in japan roadie-ing for some other band. i talked to the put-outs drummer rodney last night and found out bill is the bassist on the new album, but it looks like tim will be coming back soon and probably rejoining the band.

both the put-outs and idlewild rocked last night. my friend was afraid that roddy was going to fall on us at some point during the night. haha.

-jamie

paige

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2003, 09:48:00 am »
  nope ..........
 i never thought you'd be a groupie because autographs are so passe............what they say.....
 i thought you'd go and see the band and then just leave in an orderly way.................   :(   but i'm no groupie... i don't race around the club and down to the backbar to see if maybe! just maybe! i can like, totally, see the band? you know?  :roll:

poorlulu

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2003, 09:52:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:

nope ..........
 i thought you'd go and see the band and then just leave in an orderly way.................    :(    but i'm no groupie... i don't race around the club and down to the backbar to see if maybe! just maybe! i can like, totally, see the band? you know?   :roll:  
exactly that's what i said .............it's so passe........

do you see now?

redsock

« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2003, 10:00:00 am »
I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday, cause I actually thought the Fletcher's show was a little better. Since I only own windows and remote part, I really don't know any of there older stuff, but I recognized a couple of songs from Fletchers. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great show...maybe cause Fletchers was smaller, got a better vibe, I don't know. Regardless, Idlewild puts on one hell of a show every time out. Can't wait to hear some new stuff from them.

The Put-outs, eh, they were ok. Certainly some replacements in them. It honestly sounded a little blah, dare I say it. I think I might like their slower stuff better. Anyway, still a happy $12 spent.

Hey, does anyone know what the cover Idlewild played during the encore. It rang a bell, but I couldn't place it. Loved the guitars.

paige

« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2003, 10:05:00 am »
  exactly that's what i said .............it's so passe........

do you see now?
i see. i have seen the light. amen.

poorlulu

« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2003, 10:07:00 am »
fletcher's was great..........i do think concerts in smaller venues are always more fun and friendly...........and no offence to 9.30 but it can be a little colder a venue.......(if that makes sense)

i snagged a set list and so here it is for those interested...

listen
 discourage
 world
 i am what
 wooden
 modern way
 american
 argue
 rusty
 annihilate
 a film 4
 hiding